Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #3241
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,754
The Austraiian/Akropovic map makes a diff, the map switches don't make much diff. Haven't tried the Euro map.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #3242
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,359
how to waterproof a 500?

My 500 has been a flawless replacement for my old 99 LC4 640e but it faces a real test this weekend. We have a ADV rally in the swamps of Florida - our 6th year and are sure to see some deep water. My old bike was a real swimmer and on the rare ocasion it floated I had a quick trail fix routine to dry it out and keep going. BQF 2013 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848162

I had a lot of pride knowing that only operator error would drowned my bike but not so sure about the new 500? I also have had as much fun watching the other bikes sink to the bottom or die mid river . You know that guy.

The air box on the LC4 was real tight (unlike the exc) and I would still tape it up just to make sure. It would breath from under seat. It had a removed snorkel and driller upper air box but I would button it up real good. As long as I had a bow wake I could forge water up to the tank using my legs to create a pocket of dry air in front of my lap.

Any tips to seal up an EXC? How will the EFI do if I block the lower parts of the air box? How about worst case - anyone drown one yet? and what did ya do to get it going? I'll bring an extra air filter as well as the little micron fuel filter but am looking for any other suggestions?

Colemanfu screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 03:40 PM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #3243
HeadintheClouds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Video of the 500 tearing around South Mountain NC

68 degrees in January?!?!? You're damn right I went riding! I recently found some great trails close to home. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pTTm...&feature=share
HeadintheClouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #3244
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Ive had mine in deep water, very deep. Never an issue. I remember thinking the airbox wasnt cut out for what I was getting myself into but I was wrong. I dont know if its the filter technology or what to be honest. Last bike I rode in deep water was a 1978 KE175 and if you got your ass wet sitting on the seat it was over. The 500 had only the fuel cap and handlebars showing quite a few times. Like you said, floating basically. The few times I would bobble and had to get off it would start right back up where it was and I would ride it out. They make a water sock for the filter too which I think Ill get this year but only because Ive cleaned and reoiled the filter myself now and I dont know where my skills stand on that.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #3245
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
Ive had mine in deep water, very deep. Never an issue. I remember thinking the airbox wasnt cut out for what I was getting myself into but I was wrong. I dont know if its the filter technology or what to be honest. Last bike I rode in deep water was a 1978 KE175 and if you got your ass wet sitting on the seat it was over. The 500 had only the fuel cap and handlebars showing quite a few times. Like you said, floating basically. The few times I would bobble and had to get off it would start right back up where it was and I would ride it out. They make a water sock for the filter too which I think Ill get this year but only because Ive cleaned and reoiled the filter myself now and I dont know where my skills stand on that.
Colemanfu I have the same concerns. Does anybody have any insight on airbox changes on the 500 from previous generation KTM big bores? Have there been any improvements that that increase its ability in watercrossings? I rode a 525 for years and was constantly disappointed with its ability to ford deep water. I drowned it constantly, despite breather hoses being routed up high and down low w/T fittings, weather stripping between seat and rear fender, etc.

Small creek crossings were no issues but long deep crossings would end up getting only halfway across before ingesting a crankcase full of water. My Japanese one piece airboxes never had issues however the multi piece airbox on the KTM slurped fluids. it got so bad than anything near waist deep I would resort to this method if possible.

and that is just embarresiing for a hard core dirt bike.

I got to really envy the Husaberg and 690 airboxes in the traditional gas tank positions, but in reality my Japanese one piece airboxes never drowned out until the tank went under water. Have any updates on airbox design to increase water crossings been adapted into the new 500 model?

Dirty in All - Do you have any info on the water sock? I assume this is different from the plastic cover used for cleaning the bike?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #3246
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
I saw this , http://shop.ktm.com/usa_en/powerpart...-filter-1.html but I also thought I read somewhere there was a mesh version that was small enough to prevent water going through yet let enough air. The only mesh version I see now is for dust. I didnt look into it what so ever but if you have the seat off and maybe the battery out can you get your hands into the airbox , so the side cover remains intact, to seal it up with some grease or even a nice thick finger bead of silicone? I have great success with getting large beads of silicone off easily, it's when I use small amounts it becomes impossible glue. Grease in all the seams and gaps I would think would slow the influx of water. The top of the box is wide open if I recall. Like you Im used to rubber air boxes that squeeze onto the throttle body/carb and get a spring in the groove with a snorkle on top right under the seat. This is new to me as well so take what you will. My crossings altho deep have never been very lengthy. Maybe 100-200 ft. My uncle would just scream at me " GO FASTER, DONT STOP! " :)
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #3247
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
why not just get a boat if youre gonna be riding in water like..
The Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #3248
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostracer View Post
Those of you with the euro map & the mapping switch, does it make a signicant difference? In other words, worth getting one?
Thanks
Yep, it works good.
Make your own switch:
http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11416
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/technical-...-selector.html
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/a...p/t-77187.html
Download the KTM 500exc European manual and it explains how to use it. Its not in the US manual.
http://www.ktm.com/enduro/500-exc-eu...l#.UQnpoF2KUQY
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #3249
boostracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
Thanks for the info!
I downloaded the manual, where does it explain how to use it?
boostracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #3250
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,754
The K&N filter (oiled cotton) will not pass water. It will choke out the motor first.
BUT, the adapter the sell for the KTM's in the past sucks, it will pass dirt. Good filter, bad application.

Foam filters let water right in. The con-rods on these bikes are VERY expensive.

Re-think that boat.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #3251
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,359
Thanks guys. I removed the seat, turned off the lights and took a flash light to the bottom of the air box to find the big gaps and taped em up - not too many. The air box seals pretty good (not as good as the LC4) and most the gaps were on the left lower side. I only covered the lower half of the right side - looks like that's a big breatheing spot as well as the top under the seat. If it does not choke the bike up I'll replace with silicone.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #3252
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
Yep, it works good.
Make your own switch:
Thanks for the links! I cannot do the mod myself, but for those who can, it's a wonderful information!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #3253
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostracer View Post
Thanks for the info!
I downloaded the manual, where does it explain how to use it?
OOPS - The info is in the 2012 manual. KTM updated their website to 2013.
You can get thee 2012 manual here: 12_3211723_en_OM_3bf946.pdf
http://www.ktm.com/dealer-service/se...eb8deadbc7ce47
Model year 2012
Segment Enduro competition
Bike 500 EXC EU 2012
Hit search...

Page 13 - map switch operation. The switch under the seat is the one you need. The handlebar switch isn't necessary.
There is a plug under the seat that is for the map switch.

Bengt Phorks screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 07:03 PM Reason: More info
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #3254
boostracer
Adventurer

Thanks, found it.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #3255
boostracer
Adventurer

Thanks for answering my questions, guys. I put the switch on & wow, does it make a difference. Wild is a good description for that position! Way too much fun to ride that way! Must be illegal! Thanks again.