Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #2101
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
I tell ya what POGs, I'm a big fan of this retro movement amongst car and bike manufacturers. The retro-look Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, I like 'em all. I really dig that Triumph Scrambler. And this new Norton, well they purty well knocked it outta the ballpark IMO:

And it's got some balls to back up the looks, too. That's what I'm talkin about
Cant agree more... simply bad ass!

And NOTHING say bad ass like black and gold...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #2102
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Cant agree more... simply bad ass!

And NOTHING say bad ass like black and gold...
I rode this black and gold bike out West back in '96...went to Sturgis and nobody kicked it over or set it on fire, that's how badass this Yammie was

I've got some better pics of that old bike, I'll get around to scanning them one of these days...

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!

ineptizoid screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 09:22 PM
ineptizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #2103
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,588
Laugh Fire up that old Ferguson to keep Rythm...

Happy Sunday you buncha POGs.

"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #2104
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Inpet goes West

Gather around POGs, and I'll tell ya a story about a black and gold bike. In the spring of 1980 my dad bought his first brand-new motorcycle, an '80 Yamaha XS11 Midnight Special. It was Yamaha's fastest bike at the time; when the XS11 was introduced in '78 it was billed as the most powerful production motorcycle in the world. I don't think it was still at the top of the heap in '80, however. At any rate, it was a real torque monster, which it needed to be--because it was quite a brute, weighing around 630# wet! I think the bike was constructed primarily of lead and cast iron.

So anyway, my dad kept that bike for 16 years, only putting 26K on the odo in that time. Dad was what ya might call a "fair-weather rider," meaning no rain and temps in the 60's or higher, so out of the whole year there was only a 6-month riding window for him...this is in Virginia, remember. Here's me & my little sister in the summer of '80, just before the holding the rope incident and way before my Boy Scout troop made the Scoutmaster quit. A different time in America, if you will.

So anyway--fast-forward to 1996. There. It went by really quick, didn't it. Yeah, time really does fly by like that. So there I was, a young ineptizoid, just finished college (only 4 yrs behind schedule but who's counting), no job, no girlfriend, no rope-holding ability, not much money, but a burning desire to see the American West and escape this sick society cough cough. I was gonna do the trip on my raggedy old KLR600, but my dad thought that was a Bad Idea and donated his raggedy old XS11 to the cause. And down the road I went. Out West, where I'd never been before. And I've never been the same since.

ATGATT?? What's that? Yeah I really did ride all over the place wearing shorts, hiking boots, and a T-shirt (and sometimes not even the shirt); ya tend to think yer invincible when yer young, dumb, and full of piss n vinegar. I was doing this trip on the cheap, so that meant lotsa roadside camping, like here in Dillon CO off Loveland Pass Rd. (Note: this is not what you call stealth camping, not by a long shot.) See the snow on the mountain in the background? This pic was taken in July; seeing snow in July was a real novelty for me, believe it.

Camped out in the woods a good bit, too--it's real easy to find a secluded, quiet campsite in places like Kaibab Natl. Forest; ya just follow a dirt road off into the woods and look for a good place to pitch a tent. And the price is most definitely right.

Remember, I had never been out West before. So when I saw stuff like this, which is pretty standard scenery in a place like Colorado Natl. Monument, I was awestruck. The vastness of the landscape blew my Eastern-U.S.-oriented sense of scale right outta the water, yea verily.

I'd never seen mountains this color, more vivid than I could imagine. Of course this 17-yr-old 35mm pic doesn't do it justice. It was positively surreal, I felt like I was in a different world. And of course I was. Utah's Hwy 95, not far from Lake Powell:

Near Hite Marina on Lake Powell. (Also priced right.)

Canyonlands NP, which provided the most spectacular scenery I had ever seen in my life up until that time. Edward Abbey--park ranger/author/philosopher/wilderness advocate--loved this place and wrote extensively about it, calling it "the land of stone and silence."

See what I mean about the scenery? This is Grandview Point on the White Rim Mesa. Abbey referred to it as "the edge of the abyss, where this world falls off into the depths of another." Couldn't have said it better if ya paid me to do it.

Oh yeah, there's more!

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!

ineptizoid screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 03:10 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #2105
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 890
Good stuff Tony.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #2106
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,908
Tony, you are one of the few who truly have motorcycles in your blood!

Great story.

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #2107
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,588
Thumb

Holy Jesus. I hate it when ppl REPEAT what we've already saw, but good golly, that's a "good golly" sorta stuff right there. I remember so well going stupid fast on my GS750E. T - you have too much of that crazy fast stuff resident and still reliant, in yuor bones boy. And yes - I am OLD ENOUGH to say that! The Transalp just has not that sort of beans. Thanks mang. Thanks.
The INEPTIZOID!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
Gather around POGs, and I'll tell ya a story about a black and gold bike. In the spring of 1980 my dad bought his first brand-new motorcycle, an '80 Yamaha XS11 Midnight Special. It was Yamaha's fastest bike at the time; when the XS11 was introduced in '78 it was billed as the most powerful production motorcycle in the world. I don't think it was still at the top of the heap in '80, however. At any rate, it was a real torque monster, which it needed to be--because it was quite a brute, weighing around 630# wet! I think the bike was constructed primarily of lead and cast iron.

So anyway, my dad kept that bike for 16 years, only putting 26K on the odo in that time. Dad was what ya might call a "fair-weather rider," meaning no rain and temps in the 60's or higher, so out of the whole year there was only a 6-month riding window for him...this is in Virginia, remember. Here's me & my little sister in the summer of '80, just before the holding the rope incident and way before my Boy Scout troop made the Scoutmaster quit. A different time in America, if you will.

So anyway--fast-forward to 1996. There. It went by really quick, didn't it. Yeah, time really does fly by like that. So there I was, a young ineptizoid, just finished college (only 4 yrs behind schedule but who's counting), no job, no girlfriend, no rope-holding ability, not much money, but a burning desire to see the American West and escape this sick society cough cough. I was gonna do the trip on my old raggedy KLR600, but my dad thought that was a Bad Idea and donated his raggedy old XS11 to the cause. And down the road I went. Out West, where I'd never been before. And I've never been the same since.

ATGATT?? What's that? Yeah I really did ride all over the place wearing shorts, hiking boots, and a T-shirt (and sometimes not even the shirt); ya tend to think yer invincible when yer young, dumb, and full of piss n vinegar. I was doing this trip on the cheap, so that meant lotsa roadside camping, like here in Dillon CO off Loveland Pass Rd. (Note: this is not what you call stealth camping, not by a long shot.) See the snow on the mountain in the background? This pic was taken in July; seeing snow in July was a real novelty for me, believe it.

Camped out in the woods a good bit, too--it's real easy to find a secluded, quiet campsite in places like Kaibab Natl. Forest; ya just follow a dirt road off into the woods and look for a good place to pitch a tent. And the price is most definitely right.

Remember, I had never been out West before. So when I saw stuff like this, which is pretty standard scenery in a place like Colorado Natl. Monument, I was awestruck. The vastness of the landscape blew my Eastern-U.S.-oriented sense of scale right outta the water, yea verily.

I'd never seen mountains this color, more vivid than I could imagine. Of course this 17-yr-old 35mm pic doesn't do it justice. It was positively surreal, I felt like I was in a different world. And of course I was. Utah's Hwy 95, not far from Lake Powell:

Near Hite Marina on Lake Powell. (Also priced right.)

Canyonlands NP, which provided the most spectacular scenery I had ever seen in my life up until that time. Edward Abbey--park ranger/author/philosopher/wilderness advocate--loved this place and wrote extensively about it, calling it "the land of stone and silence."

See what I mean about the scenery? This is Grandview Point on the White Rim Mesa. Abbey referred to it as "the edge of the abyss, where this world falls off into the depths of another." Couldn't have said it better if ya paid me to do it.

Oh yeah, there's more!
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #2108
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,251
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rider View Post
Tony, you are one of the few who truly have motorcycles in your blood!

Great story.
Agree!
Adventure Rider 1st class
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #2109
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,912
he was an adventure rider before adventure riding was cool

Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #2110
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
he was an adventure rider before adventure chuckleheading was cool

i thought there was going to be a shower curtain pic mixed in there somewhere

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #2111
freebornman
pointman

Oddometer: 1,230
nice

theres nothing inept about you tony
fbm
Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #2112
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,936
Certified Old Timer

I feel compelled to add my comments to others made here.

I won't elaborate on the obvious "irony" of "Inept" -rope holding story aside- and get straight to the point.

At some time in the past I have "certified" our Ineptizoid as an "Old Timer". He continues to reference said certification and he is correct. But being an Old Timer as defined by ME... has nothing to do with age. It has to do with maturity and our love for the two wheel mode of transportation.

No one deserves the term ADV Rider more than MR INEPT...

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #2113
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,080

Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #2114
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

You fellas keep this up, and yer gonna make this Certified Old-Timer start blushing

Thanks for the kind words, brethren. The truth behind the story is this: in 1989 a young random dipwad watched Easy Rider for the first time (but certainly not the last) and started dreaming about riding across America. It was just a Dream back in '89, because there were job responsibilities (gotta put the Corn Flakes on Aisle 7, dontchaknow), college classes to take, and a girlfriend who just didn't understand. The Dream got put on the back burner, as Dreams so often do, until the summer of '96, when the young dipwad found himself with a semblance of Ultimate Freedom to do whatever he wanted to do. (Anything that didn't cost much money, at any rate.) What he wanted to do was simple: jump on a bike, head West, and discover America for himself. All by himself. And ten weeks and 11,600 miles later, the young dipwad (who couldn't even hold the rope for Pee Leak, fercryinoutloud) returned, eyes opened, mission completed, forever changed, I'm talking a whole new perspective on Life itself.

I defer to the wisdom of Glenn Hegstadd (now there's a true ADVer if ever there was one) who said this: The longer and more difficult the journey, the more profound the metamorphosis...Is your life going to change? Hopefully. I don't know anyone who has traveled extensively and came back wishing they'd never left. What you do with that new angle on life is up to you but you will surely be more aware and in tune with what is really happening in the world, and in particular, in your own mind.

Yea verily, Brother Glenn.

More pics and ineptizoidal commentary are on the way...if y'all get half as much pleasure out of seeing the pics and hearing the stories as I do recalling the memories, well then that means y'all are happy indeed.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #2115
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,125
I wish that my eyes were open enough when I was younger to go out and see America! Alas, fate has a funny way of making things happen. Back in '89, I met this chick at a bar who changed my whole perspective on life. She told me about traveling to Yellowstone, Alaska, Colorado, California, etc, etc, etc. She asked if I had ever been to any of those places? Of course not, why would I venture beyond Orlando for anything... I enjoyed living in Miami. Well, long story short, I married that girl 19 years ago and boy, have we been on some adventures around the U.S.. Lots of stuff to see in the world.

My only regrets are when I go on some rides with my buds... Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Carolinas, Tennessee, etc... I wish that my wife and kids were there with me to experience the adventure.

Hopefully, I'll be rectifying that situation this summer with a month long trek out West with the family trukster towing a couple of bikes.

Good on ya Inept for gettin 'er done. Keep on keepin on, d00d!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote