Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
windmill guy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
There is a company www.windcompressor.com that makes several different size windmill powered air compressors. The rotor drives a two stage compressor directly and has several built in safety features. Bought one last year and it has been working great so far.
windmill guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #17
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I am not sure why you want to pump water with air. The old style windmills they used around here converted wind energy to a piston action just like a hand pump.

There is one way to pump great amounts of water from a drilled well with a pipe liner. I discovered it when trying to clean sand out of a well. My 75' deep well had sand in it 13' from the top, The traditional way to clean them up is to use a large construction [air hammer] air compressor and blow a large quantity of air in the casing the well erupts in a big gusher of air,water,and sediment that goes all over the place.

Just on a whim,I tried a moderate sized 60 gallon 10 CFM compressor and dropped a weighted standard 3/8 air line into the casing . Slugs of water probably 2 gallons at a time came up and exited every 10 seconds or so. The injected air formed into big compressed bubbles of air and the water formed into 'chunks' and was ejected.

I used a 4'' tee at the top of the well casing and made a crude trough of pipes to move the water away to prevent the ground from getting soggy. It moved a lot of water with very little horsepower and moved 40' of sand/silt as well, effectively clearing the well of sediment for zero cost.

So if anyone ever need a lot of water in a hurry, and the water is not for drinking,this could work in an emergency
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #18
Firemanmike69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu View Post
They must bury them really deep! I work in a shop that fabricates hydro-pneumatic tanks. We are building two 36,000 ASME tanks that will have a working pressure of 300 psi. When they are pressure tested, they are filled with water because if they were to explode with only air in them, the explosion would level the shop.
True that. I used to build oil trucks, I'm sure you know but anyone else care to venture a guess what pressure there rated for?

3 PSI that's it's 3psi. I would never use something that wasn't designed as a pressure vessel as a pressure vessel
Firemanmike69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
windmill guy
n00b

The only advantage to using an air powered windmill is that the air can be stored in a tank and used to pump water on non windy days. A lot of people also used the stored air to run pneumatic tools and motors. The old farmer piston types can only pump water on windy days.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
windmill guy
n00b

If you are looking to make a home made inexpensive one that can get up to 30 PSI please let me know as I have made and tried several different methods over the years