User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #5116
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Finally!

This has been a long, drawn out process over the last month. Thankfully last night I finally finished cleaning up and I feel somewhat organized, of course that will all change after I start my next project!

Before...

After!

2012 Masi CX SS
go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #5117
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Yay!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #5118
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,219
My little Bicycle bomb shelter..

Testing the boundaries of the new "Panorama" feature on the Iphone

Very impressive..

The shelf with my bicycle spares, in the process of getting more organize..

And the other side of my messy shop.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #5119
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Good question,

Yesterday it was 4 below up in Show Low, Az. with lots of snow on the ground. Yesterday here in the Smokey Mountains it was in the hi 60's and went for a ride on my Strada. Arizona was great, just got tired of the long cold winters up where we lived at 6,500 ft elevation. The weather here has a lot of varience, can be cold even the occasional snow, but in a week or so it will be in the 50's, 60's or even in the 70's. I am learning that the east is a little more Big Brother than the west. The roads, people and riding are second to none in this little South East corner of Tennessee, 4 miles from Georgia and 4 miles from North Carolina. I would suggest spending time visiting both areas.
Dean,

You are the only guy I know that left AZ because of the "Long Cold Winter"

You been riding with Dr. Curve and all them guys out there? Hope to see you at a rally some time.

Nice looks garage you have there.

Rob
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #5120
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
WMRRA - very nice shop. you have no reason to have garage envy. Very clean and neat and well designed for your size. Again, Nice Job!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #5121
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Dean,

You are the only guy I know that left AZ because of the "Long Cold Winter"

You been riding with Dr. Curve and all them guys out there? Hope to see you at a rally some time.

Nice looks garage you have there.

Rob
Rob, that would be great.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #5122
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrra13 View Post
I've combed thru most of the pages and lurked on this forum for quite a while and, at least for what I'm interested in, this is about as close to the perfect shop I've seen yet.

Thanks for sharing.

-Tyler
Wreckluse has an amazing shop He has envy ? I have envy over his set up

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #5123
wmrra13
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
WMRRA - very nice shop. you have no reason to have garage envy. Very clean and neat and well designed for your size. Again, Nice Job!
Unfortunately that's NOT my shop. We recently bought a new-to-us house with a stand alone 24 x 34 outbuilding that the P.O. used to store a boat. Now I'm in the process of trying to make a shop out of it. I've been perusing this thread in an attempt to steal ideas...

You guys have some nice stuff!

I'm post some pics soon so you guys can berate me.

Cheers,
Tyler
wmrra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #5124
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,359
The Aviary

I'm not going to be able to tell the wife I'm going out to the Aviary anymore

Because the Canary is gone
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #5125
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Hey guys I have been lurking on here for a few years. Lots of nice garage set ups in this thread! I have followed along in this thread when ever I had time the last few years getting some ideas. Well after 2 full years my man castle is finally almost complete. I'm not sure it will ever be complete because there always seems to be something else I want to do to improve it.

Anyway a little story on this build. I acquired this little chunk of property from my parents. They have 50 plus some acres, mostly wooded, surrounding me. I lived in the city for the last ten years and convinced the wife to build here and move out in the country to put me closer to work. And I actually convinced her we needed to build the barn first so we could store our belongings after our house in the city sold. So the barn went up the first year. The second year we started the house and I worked on finishing the barn when ever I had time. My father and I did most all the construction ourselves so it really cut in to any riding time the last few years. So instead of a ride report I might as well post up a build report.

Here is the finished product to start with. 40x64 with 14ft ceiling. 16'x13' overhead door on left 12'x12' overhead on right side.

Here is the lot before we moved trees and dirt. The front of the barn is about where the tree line is in this pic.

To move the trees and dirt you need one of these. This is my cousins excavator. Actually with out his help it would not have been cost effective to even build on this lot as it was on such a slope we had to move LOTS of dirt over the next two years. This particular excavator has the moveable thumb attachment on the bucket. Great for grabbing those trees and moving them out of the way. Kinda fun too!

I can't find the pics of the tree removal so here is the finished grade with the barn corners squared up.

Used this compactor on the fill. We had about 6' of fill on the back side so I made sure it was compacted well while we built it up with the dozer and front end loader.

Digging the holes for the poles! I lucked out getting this little machine. This guy came over drilled all the holes for $60 bucks!

More to come later...
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #5126
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

And to continue.

Here are the poles going up. I hired a guy with a tele-handler to come in and help put up the poles, trusses, and metal on the roof.

First truss set.

The tele-handler. They actually left it on site for over a month and said use it just fill er up when you're finished! This had to be the most valuable tool we used. Not having to climb up and down ladders was great. It has a basket that goes on the forks big enough for 2-3 people to work from.

I cut up 2" foam board insulation 18" wide and buried it along the inside of the foundation. Helps keep the frost from creeping under the concrete.

Half the roof on.

Now it is ready to grade and compact the floor for concrete. It was so dry the preceding weeks the sand was like powder. We needed some water and no well on site. So I called a friend who happens to be the local fire chief. A small donation to the fire dept. and you get water.

Lots of water.

After the water, grading, and compacting the vapor barrier, double bubble insulation, and wire all laid out. I was really contemplating installing in floor heat. But at this point but I kind of got pressed for time with my help I had for the concrete and decided not to do it. It worked out in the end I am more than happy with the heater I installed. More on that later.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #5127
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by go::ahead View Post
This has been a long, drawn out process over the last month. Thankfully last night I finally finished cleaning up and I feel somewhat organized, of course that will all change after I start my next project!

Before...

After!

Good job! I like that you filling the empty spaces above w/storage shelving. I had a similar space once and put up rafters and plywood over the forward part overhead. It afforded an amazing amount of storage sq footage forward - basicly a floor right up to the upper edge of the overhead door when it's in it's raised postion - the area in the 1st pic where you show 2 shelves left and right - made that all one area.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #5128
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

The finished floor.

After the outside walls and ceiling panel was up we started framing on the inside. I divided the barn in half for two 32x40 sections. One side is the workshop the other for storage. I heated the workshop side and have the gas lines in the storage side if I ever want to heat that also. This pic is of the start of my workbench and bathroom area that will be under a upper second story storage area.

OSB going up

This is the divider wall. I only installed R11 insulation. Don't mind a little heat over in the storage side. It has not gone below freezing yet.

I lucked out again on this insulation. A friend saw a local factory that was getting an addition and they were tearing down a wall. They were going to throw away all this R13 insulation. We rolled it up and I used it in the barn. It did the entire barn with some left over. On the heated shop side I installed another layer of new R11 over the used stuff.

Here is the R11 on top of the used R13. I left the hole in the concrete to install a bathroom at later date.

The work bench and cabinets framed in. Kegerator installed.

Work bench finished and painted.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #5129
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807

So jealous

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #5130
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Here is the finished product. I bought some basic plumbing and electrical books and did it all myself. Ran all the electrical with conduit. Many people ask why I didn't run the wire in the walls. When I started I really didn't know where I wanted to put stuff like welders, air compressor, ect. With the conduit it is very convenient to add electrical any where you want in the future.

The heated shop side.

I used the overhead radiant heat system. Runs on propane. This heater is very efficient. I have only used 30% of a 500g propane tank since November of 2011. I usually leave the heat on around 55 when I am not working in the shop. But the winters have been kinda mild this year and last.

Plumbed everything with pex. I was amazed how quick and easy it was to work with. I think it took longer going to Menards to get all the stuff than it did to install it. When I eventually get an air compressor it will go in here also so the noise will not be so bad in the workshop. It will be were I was standing to take the picture. I also have a small door in the wall behind the Kegarator where I can access the CO2 bottle in this room.

The storage side.

The storage area above the workshop. Notice the electronic device on the green cabinet. It is a signal booster for cell service. I can get full strength signal standing outside but inside the all steel building with the doors closed nothing. This device works great. Has an antennae outside and inside to boost the signal. I think I bought it off ebay.

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/sto...y/40/46/db-pro