Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #61
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
i just think it's a stupid thing to say to someone who just paid $150 +++ for that coach to teach them how to ride around a parking lot.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #62
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Case in point!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #63
rdcamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Yeah I had actually barely passed the riding portion of the MSF test. the instructors were very professional, very rigid. Reminded me of the ex marine range officer that taught me to shoot a rifle.

At that point in time, I had been on a dirtbike once (when I was 12) otherwise I had no previous practice with a standard transmission vehicle.

As a ski instructor I understand the dilema of working with a large group of students with VASTLY varying skill sets.

There were a number of "Old Ladies" who rode on the backs of their husbands Harleys who were quite hopeless.

Again, I barely passsed. Later in the summer I got a job which involved me driving around on a standard transmission 4wheeler, which definitely helped me out.

My dad had me work on his R100RS for a few hours in a parking lot with some brief road riding. Then I started using my R80RT which is a much more forgiving bike then the RS.
rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #64
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
i'm sure day one would be something like:

1. proper safety gear: leather vest, no gloves, jeans. brain bucket.

2. "Cruisers are safer than ninjas"...because they go slower and they are heavier.

3. "don't use the front brake, or you'll go over the handlebars...use the back brake only."

4. buy a sportster.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #65
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I was an instructor in an adult hockey school and one of the participants was an instructor with both the local MSF program and and the HD Riders Edge. I mentioned my daughter had asked to ride and I was going to enroll her in the MSF Basic. He pitched the Riders Edge saying it was the identical curriculum, better prepared bikes and at least double the seat time (smaller class, dedicated bike for each student so no sharing).

He ended up getting my daughter in a RE class that had an open spot (gratis). The only marketing addition to the RE class was a mandatory tour at the HD shop (which was waived for my issue).

After both days of the riding portion my very fit 17 yr old was very tired (and complained she couldn't hold her phone with her left hand) so I'm guessing they spent plenty of time riding.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #66
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran Noob View Post
.... He pitched the Riders Edge saying it was the identical curriculum, better prepared bikes and at least double the seat time (smaller class, dedicated bike for each student so no sharing).
Huh, WTF is up with that? When my wife took the MSF there was no sharing of bikes.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #67
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Huh, WTF is up with that? When my wife took the MSF there was no sharing of bikes.

I think that RE instructor was making a sales pitch to increase his paycheck. Even the "better prepared bikes" part was probably BS. All MSF bikes are supposed to be maintained in good working order...

Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #68
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Local classes share bikes dependent on enrollment. One of the guys I work with took the MSF course and he had to share a bike. Spent two days on the range but took turns practicing each exercise.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #69
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,563
Thanks for all the feedback.

My buddy signed up for the local HD class, but they weren't the best at communication. Among other things, they told him only a few days beforehand that he'd need to first take a test at the DMV -- and he only found that out because he asked. Maybe this is common knowledge, but ... well, I didn't know it, and I've been riding for a while now. Anyhow, he didn't have time to get to the DMV on such short notice, so he canceled.

He'll be taking a non-HD course next weekend. He's psyched. He's into cruisers, so he's looking into used Honda Shadows for his first bike. Maybe he'll turn up in Road Warriors.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #70
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
Thanks for all the feedback.

My buddy signed up for the local HD class, but they weren't the best at communication. Among other things, they told him only a few days beforehand that he'd need to first take a test at the DMV -- and he only found that out because he asked. Maybe this is common knowledge, but ... well, I didn't know it, and I've been riding for a while now. Anyhow, he didn't have time to get to the DMV on such short notice, so he canceled.

He'll be taking a non-HD course next weekend. He's psyched. He's into cruisers, so he's looking into used Honda Shadows for his first bike. Maybe he'll turn up in Road Warriors.
Weird....must be a California thing.

I am an MSF and RE instructor. I ride a BMW A 1983 BMW

I was a card carrying HD basher, but those days are over. I grew out of that shite and realized it doesn't matter what you ride, but that you do. The unfortunate stereotypes do exist, but the fact that some HD dealerships are offering rider training is helping to educate its consumers and minimize the sterotype. When Georgia went to a 2 day state run course, I was flabergasted!!! That isn't a lot of time to get through the curriculum and riding portion....any problem will set you back. So 1 or 2 riders out of 12 have clutch control issues, or mechanical issues with the bikes, or you happen to have a crash were the rider needs a few minutes to relax......you're wayyyyy off schedule. And why would you want to fly through education of new riders is beyond me.

Riders Edge is no less than 3 days. It gives instructors extra time to get to know there riders and ease them into the process a bit, mechanical problems....you usually have 2-3 back up bikes at HD, rider needs extra time...you have it. Our dealership charges 325-350 depending if its a weekeday or weekend, state class is 250. You get more talk time and ride time at HD here in GA.....and that's a good thing!

Also a lot of state classes are run out of a trailer. Not very comfortable. HD dealership are usually very accomodating and the facilities are top notch. I recommend a Rider Edge course over a state course here in Georgia because, well, more time = more education. Even if it's the same curriculum, you can actually have a conversation about things instead of just reading text aloud from a book.

Rant off. Keep in mind your experience will vary from dealership to dealership, so word of mouth is key picking your dealership.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #71
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Riders Edge is no less than 3 days.

Also a lot of state classes are run out of a trailer.
I stand corrected! 25 hours instead of 15. I just nuked the post.

I was going by the local HD shops program...but it is run by an independent company.

I guess some states do things differently. Each training facility here has at least five extra bikes(that are serviced and ready to go), and have an actual classroom. The HD shop has their class in the employee break room.

bwalsh screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 05:51 PM
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #72
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
I stand corrected! 25 hours instead of 15.

I was going by the local HD shops program...but it is run by an independent company.

I guess some states do things differently. Each training facility here has at least five extra bikes(that are serviced and ready to go), and have an actual classroom. The HD shop has their class in the employee break room.
One dealership I work at, we hang out in a seperate HOG building. Nice place, other dealership we are in a confrence room. What I think is pretty cool is a lot of HD shops grill every Saturday. So it's a fun hang out time with lots of people from around the area.

I think GA lost a lot of cash when it came to the Motorcycle safety program. A lot of state bikes are pretty old and not very well maintained..... lots of mid 80's rebels and GN125 oh and a few CB 125's. CA certainly has more cash than us.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #73
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
It's the same course no matter where you go except Oregon and Idaho. They have their own curriculum(AFAIK only difference is the range exercises) and not MSF's.
That's funny, considering the lawsuit was mostly over copyright claims on classroom materials and some terms, like "clutch lever".

The ONLY thing used in Idaho and Oregon is one video on impairments (yeah, the Chip Eston video) which I'm told is no longer used by MSF. Actually, I can't speak for Idaho- I know there are differences to what Oregon teaches, as both programs have tweaked things in the past few years.

Quote:
I think that RE instructor was making a sales pitch to increase his paycheck.
Cringe. I'd hate to ever hear of a direct correlation between a student passing and an instructor's income- that's BS. But even the potential conflict of interest with a company making a sale or not based on whether a student gets an endorsement waiver is too much for some states. RE as intended by HD and MSF was never going to fly in Oregon because of that.

Quote:
is Even the "better prepared bikes" part was probably BS.
Well, they'd be Buells- that is, Harleys. REAL bikes.

Quote:
All MSF bikes are supposed to be maintained in good working order...
Wish in one hand, in the other... I know of sites that have eventually lost their franchise because of poor maintenance (although it's easier to lose it due to RC's in loose cannon mode, teaching their own thing under the MSF's name).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran Noob View Post
Local classes share bikes dependent on enrollment. One of the guys I work with took the MSF course and he had to share a bike. Spent two days on the range but took turns practicing each exercise.
That's bollocks. Students have enough stress without all that. Caveat: Insurance rules limit bikes to 12 on a full size range. Sometimes we have 1-2 returning students taking a skill retest inline with a class; they share a bike with a regular student. But not as part of training.

dwoodward screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 09:32 AM Reason: klay error
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #74
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,563
Quote:
I was a card carrying HD basher, but those days are over.
Just to clarify, I'm not bashing Harley or RE here. I simply wasn't all that impressed with this particular dealer's handling of my friend.

I suspect he may wind up on a Harley eventually. That seems what he really wants, but I suggested a Shadow as a cheaper, lower-displacement first bike. Ah well, I'll still ride with him!
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #75
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
Also a lot of state classes are run out of a trailer. Not very comfortable Rant off. Keep in mind your experience will vary from dealership to dealership, so word of mouth is key picking your dealership.
and state to state.

dwoodward screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 09:53 AM
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote