Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #73321
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
Wanna GO RIDE.
Is that an invitation or just a statement?

Welcome Chuck. My wife justifies her anxieties by telling herself, "at least he's not out bar-hopping" and she likes the idea that I'm getting a cardio workout.

I'll be 60 this summer.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #73322
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
(She does not like me to ride in the back country).
Get yourself a SPOT satellite tracker. It will go a long way toward calming your wife's fears. If I remember correctly the tracking subscription is around $150/year. Absolutely worth every penny.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #73323
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Right way to put in ear plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
Agree with eveything you say, just wish i had listened(forgive the pun) years ago, now i have trouble hearing even normal conversations.How do you put them in right out of interest.
Personally I like the foam type. Some are better that others. First thing you do is roll one between your thumb and forefinger squeezing it out as small and round as you can get it. Then stick the pointy part in your ear canal. If you have very small ear canals sometimes it help to tug down on your earlobe while inserting the ear plug. Put it in there. You can't lose it. Then repeat on the other ear.
Most people just open the package and shove them in there any old way with about half of the plug or more sticking out WRONG!
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #73324
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Impact driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Noel View Post
Try using an impact driver, carefully , at first by hand but if no luck then a couple of taps with a hammer may work. It did for me when I had the same problem. Good luck.
If they are so tight I can't loosen them and are that tight doesn't that mean the rubber is jacked and won't expand enough to stay in there.

By the way I'm loving this bike. It seems so easy to handle and a hoot to ride in the woods and fields. Does okay on the road to except for that sorry excuse for a seat.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #73325
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Part of the fun of buying another bike is the hunt. I enjoy scanning CL and the newspaper seeing what is available. I don't want this to be over too soon as I may end up looking more and getting yet another bike.
Having CASH in hand is key. Good deals on CL go quickly. Same with Cycle Trader and deals here on ADV Rider Flea Market.

Be ready to JUMP when the good deal appears. Good luck, have fun!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #73326
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I suppose I should introduce myself to the DR650 Folks here. HI. Sold my 97 KLR650 of 10 years, last July as I found that my Wee650 overlapped too much. Wife was very happy about the sale. (She does not like me to ride in the back country). Came home with a DR650 in Sept, thinking it would take me were the Wee wont go and that the DR is easier to man handle than the KLR was on the 4x4 mountain passes here in Colorado. Wife was not Happy to say the least. I am an old fart, 63 to be exact. Looking and shopping for DR farkels over the winter. Cant wait for the snow to melt in the High Country. Wanna GO RIDE.
Welcome aboard Chuck! When I did the CO passes I was on street tires (Avon Distanzia). Could have really used a knobby tire up front. Highly recommended. Some super steep downhills there!
Street or 50/50 tires will have you locking up both tires and sliding down the mountain sideways and out of control!
One of the best things about the DR is it's crashability. Not much to break on the DR. With good Bark Busters and case covers you are pretty much good to go! (Just don't flip it!)

I think you'll find your DR is as smooth or smoother than your KLR at highway speeds. The double counter balanced DR motor is quite smooth and if the drive line is set up right with fresh chain, sprockets, Cush drive rubber, good alignment ... then the DR humms nicely down the road at 75 MPH.

KLR doing an Imogene switchback. Loose and steeper than it looks.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #73327
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Personally I like the foam type. Some are better that others. First thing you do is roll one between your thumb and forefinger squeezing it out as small and round as you can get it. Then stick the pointy part in your ear canal. If you have very small ear canals sometimes it help to tug down on your earlobe while inserting the ear plug. Put it in there. You can't lose it. Then repeat on the other ear.
Most people just open the package and shove them in there any old way with about half of the plug or more sticking out WRONG!
I like to reach over the top of my head and pull on the top of my ear to open the canal, but different strokes.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #73328
Chucksklrst
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Get yourself a SPOT satellite tracker. It will go a long way toward calming your wife's fears. If I remember correctly the tracking subscription is around $150/year. Absolutely worth every penny.
Good idea, but I already have one that I use. I do about 30k a year moto miles. Do a lot of road miles as I also run a ST1300 and a Wee650. She still does not like me to get off in the back, high country off road. She has no problem with my road miles at all.
10 ST700 (Now & Then) 08 DR650

Chucksklrst screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 11:54 AM
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #73329
Chucksklrst
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Welcome aboard Chuck! When I did the CO passes I was on street tires (Avon Distanzia). Could have really used a knobby tire up front. Highly recommended. Some super steep downhills there!
Street or 50/50 tires will have you locking up both tires and sliding down the mountain sideways and out of control!
One of the best things about the DR is it's crashability. Not much to break on the DR. With good Bark Busters and case covers you are pretty much good to go! (Just don't flip it!)

I think you'll find your DR is as smooth or smoother than your KLR at highway speeds. The double counter balanced DR motor is quite smooth and if the drive line is set up right with fresh chain, sprockets, Cush drive rubber, good alignment ... then the DR humms nicely down the road at 75 MPH.

KLR doing an Imogene switchback. Loose and steeper than it looks.
Thanks for the welcome, yes the DR is smoother than my old KLR. Been out riding some easy dirt, trying to get the feel of the bike. Second time out I got down in some out of the way places, and on the way home, had a flat rear tire. Fortunately I was on the main paved road at the time. Right now I am running Kenda 270's, they came on the bike when I bought it. Bike is a 08 with 4200 miles on it when I bought it. Was owned by a older guy than I. Took my Wee up on Haggerman Pass and it was a hand full. Looking foward to getting the DR up into that type of country.

Looking at how to post photos, I guess I need to have a photo host to be able to post photos. I don't see a way to up load photos direct from my hard drive. am I mistaken?

Chucksklrst screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 12:19 PM
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #73330
Chucksklrst
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Is that an invitation or just a statement?

However you want to interpret it.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #73331
Steve in Santa Fe
Steve in Santa Fe

Oddometer: 10
excellent Peg lowering kit

Wanting to lower the stock pegs on my DR, I contacted Bob at southchathamtackle.com. The guys were really nice and helpful...and I got the kit two days after I ordered it! The craftmanship is first class, and the price is comparable with other kits...a bit lower than some. I would sure recommend them
Steve in Santa Fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #73332
Steve in Santa Fe
Steve in Santa Fe

Oddometer: 10
ooops

Sorry about the GIANT type...
Steve in Santa Fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #73333
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
Mine has the spray-on liner, probably about 5 or 6 coats. It helps, but not as much as you would think. The skid plate is still too reflective for sound waves. It's not vibration noises, it's all the noises the engine normally makes that are being reflected up at you instead of towards the ground. At first I was trying to find things to quiet it down, finally decided it isn't a big deal and I just ignore it now. I would like to find a really porous foam (think stripper pad on a floor buffer) to put in there and will try it if I find one. I just don't want anything that will hold water, it still needs to drain well.

Tim
i'm leaning towards dynamat extreme. i wonder what washing machines use to sound deaden on the pricy model?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #73334
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Mass loaded vinyl with one side with adhesive is your best bet.
i have no idea what that is???
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #73335
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I have always cut strips of HD innertubes and squeezed them between the frame and skidplate on all my bikes. I think that much of what people are hearing is the plate vibrating harmonically. This may not be enough for some of you. The DR650 is the quietest bike I have ever owned, I've never had a streetbike so I can't compare what others perceive as noisey.

You definitely want closed cell foam,(like GSF suggests) especially offraod. The bufferpad will soon be adobe. Think about using a "pool noodle" or foam pipe insulation instead.
have tubes between on the front of the plate. yes it's harmonics and reflective sound. don't expect no sound just muffle what is there.