ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #73276
Chucksklrst
Adventurer
 
Chucksklrst's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Oddometer: 24
Looking for pictures of DR650's with the ProCycle laminar wind shield.

As I have narrowed my search down to Pro Cycle http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

or Screens for Bikes. http://www.screensforbikes.com/gallery/suzuki/dr-650/

Please post or send me any pictures you have of a DR650 with the Pro Cycle shield, Thanks
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #73277
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Mid Calder,Scotland
Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
As a sound recording pro ... I agree. I've done many many similar rants on ADV ... most riders just ignore ... if falls on "deaf ears" .

Everybody has an excuse, like, "... plugs are too uncomfortable", " ... they don't fit my ear canals". "... too expensive". " ... too much trouble to put in and out". Yada Yada. Got an issue? Get a tissue!

As you say, hearing loss is no joke. And yes ... it's the low freq buffeting from wind noise that does damage to the tiny Scilia around the ear drum. First you loose ability to hear high frequencies ... makes understanding speech in a noisy place hard. Goes downhill from there.

So easy to protect your hearing. At least wear them on long rides ... and learn how to insert them properly .... many riders do it wrong.

RANT OFF!
Agree with eveything you say, just wish i had listened(forgive the pun) years ago, now i have trouble hearing even normal conversations.How do you put them in right out of interest.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #73278
Chucksklrst
Adventurer
 
Chucksklrst's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
Looking for pictures of DR650's with the ProCycle laminar wind shield.

As I have narrowed my search down to Pro Cycle http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

or Screens for Bikes. http://www.screensforbikes.com/gallery/suzuki/dr-650/

Please post or send me any pictures you have of a DR650 with the Pro Cycle shield, Thanks
I suppose I should introduce myself to the DR650 Folks here. HI. Sold my 97 KLR650 of 10 years, last July as I found that my Wee650 overlapped too much. Wife was very happy about the sale. (She does not like me to ride in the back country). Came home with a DR650 in Sept, thinking it would take me were the Wee wont go and that the DR is easier to man handle than the KLR was on the 4x4 mountain passes here in Colorado. Wife was not Happy to say the least. I am an old fart, 63 to be exact. Looking and shopping for DR farkels over the winter. Cant wait for the snow to melt in the High Country. Wanna GO RIDE.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home – Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
03 ST1300 ABS (Silver STorm) 09 DL650 ABS (Weezer)
10 ST700 (Now & Then) 08 DR650

Chucksklrst screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 11:33 AM
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #73279
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 9,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
Wanna GO RIDE.
Is that an invitation or just a statement?

Welcome Chuck. My wife justifies her anxieties by telling herself, "at least he's not out bar-hopping" and she likes the idea that I'm getting a cardio workout.

I'll be 60 this summer.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #73280
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
(She does not like me to ride in the back country).
Get yourself a SPOT satellite tracker. It will go a long way toward calming your wife's fears. If I remember correctly the tracking subscription is around $150/year. Absolutely worth every penny.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #73281
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer
 
gofast1320's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Oddometer: 735
Right way to put in ear plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
Agree with eveything you say, just wish i had listened(forgive the pun) years ago, now i have trouble hearing even normal conversations.How do you put them in right out of interest.
Personally I like the foam type. Some are better that others. First thing you do is roll one between your thumb and forefinger squeezing it out as small and round as you can get it. Then stick the pointy part in your ear canal. If you have very small ear canals sometimes it help to tug down on your earlobe while inserting the ear plug. Put it in there. You can't lose it. Then repeat on the other ear.
Most people just open the package and shove them in there any old way with about half of the plug or more sticking out WRONG!
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #73282
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer
 
gofast1320's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Oddometer: 735
Impact driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Noel View Post
Try using an impact driver, carefully , at first by hand but if no luck then a couple of taps with a hammer may work. It did for me when I had the same problem. Good luck.
If they are so tight I can't loosen them and are that tight doesn't that mean the rubber is jacked and won't expand enough to stay in there.

By the way I'm loving this bike. It seems so easy to handle and a hoot to ride in the woods and fields. Does okay on the road to except for that sorry excuse for a seat.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #73283
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Part of the fun of buying another bike is the hunt. I enjoy scanning CL and the newspaper seeing what is available. I don't want this to be over too soon as I may end up looking more and getting yet another bike.
Having CASH in hand is key. Good deals on CL go quickly. Same with Cycle Trader and deals here on ADV Rider Flea Market.

Be ready to JUMP when the good deal appears. Good luck, have fun!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #73284
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
I suppose I should introduce myself to the DR650 Folks here. HI. Sold my 97 KLR650 of 10 years, last July as I found that my Wee650 overlapped too much. Wife was very happy about the sale. (She does not like me to ride in the back country). Came home with a DR650 in Sept, thinking it would take me were the Wee wont go and that the DR is easier to man handle than the KLR was on the 4x4 mountain passes here in Colorado. Wife was not Happy to say the least. I am an old fart, 63 to be exact. Looking and shopping for DR farkels over the winter. Cant wait for the snow to melt in the High Country. Wanna GO RIDE.
Welcome aboard Chuck! When I did the CO passes I was on street tires (Avon Distanzia). Could have really used a knobby tire up front. Highly recommended. Some super steep downhills there!
Street or 50/50 tires will have you locking up both tires and sliding down the mountain sideways and out of control!
One of the best things about the DR is it's crashability. Not much to break on the DR. With good Bark Busters and case covers you are pretty much good to go! (Just don't flip it!)

I think you'll find your DR is as smooth or smoother than your KLR at highway speeds. The double counter balanced DR motor is quite smooth and if the drive line is set up right with fresh chain, sprockets, Cush drive rubber, good alignment ... then the DR humms nicely down the road at 75 MPH.

KLR doing an Imogene switchback. Loose and steeper than it looks.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #73285
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Personally I like the foam type. Some are better that others. First thing you do is roll one between your thumb and forefinger squeezing it out as small and round as you can get it. Then stick the pointy part in your ear canal. If you have very small ear canals sometimes it help to tug down on your earlobe while inserting the ear plug. Put it in there. You can't lose it. Then repeat on the other ear.
Most people just open the package and shove them in there any old way with about half of the plug or more sticking out WRONG!
I like to reach over the top of my head and pull on the top of my ear to open the canal, but different strokes.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #73286
Chucksklrst
Adventurer
 
Chucksklrst's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Get yourself a SPOT satellite tracker. It will go a long way toward calming your wife's fears. If I remember correctly the tracking subscription is around $150/year. Absolutely worth every penny.
Good idea, but I already have one that I use. I do about 30k a year moto miles. Do a lot of road miles as I also run a ST1300 and a Wee650. She still does not like me to get off in the back, high country off road. She has no problem with my road miles at all.
__________________
Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 09 DL650 ABS (Weezer)
08 DR650 (Dirty Rider)

Chucksklrst screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 11:54 AM
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #73287
Chucksklrst
Adventurer
 
Chucksklrst's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Welcome aboard Chuck! When I did the CO passes I was on street tires (Avon Distanzia). Could have really used a knobby tire up front. Highly recommended. Some super steep downhills there!
Street or 50/50 tires will have you locking up both tires and sliding down the mountain sideways and out of control!
One of the best things about the DR is it's crashability. Not much to break on the DR. With good Bark Busters and case covers you are pretty much good to go! (Just don't flip it!)

I think you'll find your DR is as smooth or smoother than your KLR at highway speeds. The double counter balanced DR motor is quite smooth and if the drive line is set up right with fresh chain, sprockets, Cush drive rubber, good alignment ... then the DR humms nicely down the road at 75 MPH.

KLR doing an Imogene switchback. Loose and steeper than it looks.
Thanks for the welcome, yes the DR is smoother than my old KLR. Been out riding some easy dirt, trying to get the feel of the bike. Second time out I got down in some out of the way places, and on the way home, had a flat rear tire. Fortunately I was on the main paved road at the time. Right now I am running Kenda 270's, they came on the bike when I bought it. Bike is a 08 with 4200 miles on it when I bought it. Was owned by a older guy than I. Took my Wee up on Haggerman Pass and it was a hand full. Looking foward to getting the DR up into that type of country.

Looking at how to post photos, I guess I need to have a photo host to be able to post photos. I don't see a way to up load photos direct from my hard drive. am I mistaken?
__________________
Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 09 DL650 ABS (Weezer)
08 DR650 (Dirty Rider)

Chucksklrst screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 12:19 PM
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #73288
Chucksklrst
Adventurer
 
Chucksklrst's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Is that an invitation or just a statement?

.
However you want to interpret it.
__________________
Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 09 DL650 ABS (Weezer)
08 DR650 (Dirty Rider)
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #73289
Steve in Santa Fe
Steve in Santa Fe
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Oddometer: 15
excellent Peg lowering kit

Wanting to lower the stock pegs on my DR, I contacted Bob at southchathamtackle.com. The guys were really nice and helpful...and I got the kit two days after I ordered it! The craftmanship is first class, and the price is comparable with other kits...a bit lower than some. I would sure recommend them
__________________
Steve in Santa Fe
1980 BMW 100RT
2005 DR 650
Steve in Santa Fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #73290
Steve in Santa Fe
Steve in Santa Fe
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Oddometer: 15
ooops

Sorry about the GIANT type...
__________________
Steve in Santa Fe
1980 BMW 100RT
2005 DR 650
Steve in Santa Fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015