Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #3901
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Drop that screen down most of the way, put your seat in the high position and stick your melon out in the breeze.

That's my summer riding position. For winter, when it's < 30 deg F, or raining like a sumbitch, I'd like a little protection.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 03:49 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #3902
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Drop that screen down most of the way, put your seat in the high position and stick your melon out in the breeze.

If only that would work! Id much rather have little or no windshield on my bike. A steady blast of wind is better than having most of the wind deflected, but getting my head boxed around. YMMV, yada, yada,yada...

If I thought I could shorten the stock shield, I would try it. Using the little Wunderlich deflector helps, but it's not ideal.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #3903
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,561
That pretty much become my default position most of the time. Wearing a FF helmet of course. On the GSA I formerly owned that worked pretty well, no buffeting to speak of with the stock wind screen. I really haven't riidden this NTX enough yet to say with certainty that the results will be similar but thus far it seems that the airflow coming off the screen is a bit smoother than it was on the GSA.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #3904
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I am REALLY thinking about having some shields made up that add about 1-2" in height over stock, but have a curve at the top edge. I suspect this would solve 90% of users problems while keeping the adjustability of the current system. I like the shape of the shield except for the last 2". Not a big fan of what Calsci did with theirs.
I have the CalSci screen and it is very effective, though I wish they had a shorter one available. I think that it's effectiveness is largely due to the simple shape and large vent. I'd bet that even the stock screen would be significantly improved with a larger vent (not that it's terrible to begin with).
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #3905
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
If I thought I could shorten the stock shield, I would try it.
I have a friend with a bandsaw and am very interested in giving this a try for summer use.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #3906
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

MRA Xcreen Update

Well, the ride home into the wind was another successful test w/ the Xcreen. Definitely a keeper. Buffeting was really reduced.

Still on the fence re. keeping it clamped on vs. drilling the main screen and bolting it in place, but for now I'll keep it clamped.

Next I'll try it all the way up for the "Goldwing" effect, just for grins, but as it is now it's doing a great job. I can ride w/ my face shield open up to about 50mph with no issues, so that's going to be a big plus in the summer so I can get some air but not the bugs!

-SM
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #3907
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 730
Is Givi making an aftermarket screen for the new NTX yet?

I have one for my 09 for long trips and the thing is ridiculous. I can keep my visor open comfortably to 80 mph.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #3908
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post

I have one for my 09 for long trips and the thing is ridiculous. I can keep my visor open comfortably to 80 mph.
Based on posts I've read on various boards, TwistedThrottle's web sit, Givi's web site, and a few other sources, I think the answer as of today is "no".

-SM
Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #3909
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post

Wouldn't the current Givi work on an NTX? I don't think any of the brackets or geometry for the screen changed did it?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #3910
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Wouldn't the current Givi work on an NTX? I don't think any of the brackets or geometry for the screen changed did it?
Nope. The '12 is a new front end, and the previous screens won't fit. Lots of discussion about this on other boards.

-SM
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #3911
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
How watertight is the box? Is there a good seal around the door?

-SM
Hi Sock,
The box is welded and the entire inside surface of the door is one big gasket that is compressed when it's locked closed. There are 4 drilled-thru holes on top to mount and this is where the water will get in. There may be some sealing washers in the bag, not sure. If not, a little silicone adhesive under the screw head should solve that.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #3912
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
Hi Sock,
The box is welded and the entire inside surface of the door is one big gasket that is compressed when it's locked closed. There are 4 drilled-thru holes on top to mount and this is where the water will get in. There may be some sealing washers in the bag, not sure. If not, a little silicone adhesive under the screw head should solve that.
Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like they did a good job of making it water tight, at least from normal use. The submarine pilots among us may have some issues though....

-SM
Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #3913
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 730
If anyone is on here lurking and looking for a Stelvio, there are two really nice '09's for sale on the MGNOC. Both low mileage, both red. Prices are 9000 and 9999. Pretty good deals. No connection to sellers.

http://mgnoc.com/classifieds.html
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #3914
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

MRA Xcreen final update - Barn Door Mode

I put the wing all the way up this morning to test "barn door mode". Holy cow! I could hear things I've never heard on the highway before, like my engine (sounds sweet BTW, even with the stock exhaust ). My face shield could be open up to the tested max speed (only 80mph today....dang cages ). I really don't like looking through a wind screen, so I'll only put the wing all the way up on truly crappy days when it's pouring rain, but it was a very successful test of this versatile product (no affiliation, just a happy customer ). The top of the wing did wiggle more on the freeway when all the way up, but that was expected given the longer moment arm of this configuration (remember your high school physics? ).

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. I was nervous at first that the Xcreen wouldn't even fit on the NTX windscreen, but it does, and it works very well. My only decision now will be whether to drill my OEM screen and permanently mount the wing, and I think that's just a matter of time so I can remove the hefty steel clamps and reduce the vibes.

Ride safe everyone!

-SM
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #3915
brooklyn slim
nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer: 2,581
I apologize in advance if I'm asking a redundant question, but I haven't read the whole thread yet and maybe someone can answer a brief question.

I ride a WeeStrom which is showing its age. I'd like something with a little more power. I ride 99% street, commuting and short trips (around 100 miles) with a couple of longer trips /year. But mostly local.

I think the Stelvio is overkill and more than I need (but maybe a bigger and more comfy ride will get me out more and longer), but on paper I'm crazy about the bike - I probably don't think anyone here needs convincing (not that I'm crazy, but that the bike's a peach). Comfort, reliability, endless grunt, farkled out of the box, ton of bike for the money...

Here's my question: my Strom's like a bicycle around town - weighs around 425 or so, feels like nothing but a little topheavy. How's the Stelvio in this regard?

I've heard it wears its weight well, feels lighter than it is. For a tall bike, how planted (i.e., not top heavy) does it feel, particularly at low speeds? How much of a handful to push around town is it? I'm not expecting it'll be as flickable as the Strom, but how much more ornery?

Of course a ride would answer all these questions, but my closest dealer is an hour away and doesn't have a test bike - says MG won't underwrite a tester and he can't afford to lower the value of a new bike by letting people put miles on it.

I guess I can see his dilemma, but are there that many people out there who'll drop 16K on a bike they haven't ridden? I won't. If I have to, I'll travel to find a dealer who'll let me test ride, then buy from him if I like the bike, and look forward to a sweet ride home.

Anyway, any enlightenment much appreciated.