Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
@bullsnake
PM sent
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #2087
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,615
Here's one for sale outside Seattle: (not mine)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3293996139.html

Rare 1985 Cagiva/Ducati Elephant 650 - $2900 (Wenatchee)

Date: 2012-09-24, 3:03PM PDT
Reply to: 3nqtg-3293996139@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Rare 1985 Cagiva/Ducati Elephant 650 twin dual sport. Bike is all original and is in excellent condition. Always kept in heated shop. I have the owners manual and shop manual. Runs great and a hoot to ride. Please reply with phone number if interested. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #2088
Bullsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Solo Lobo: Thanks for the link! I am looking specifically for the E900, and in the "Lucky Explorer" livery if possible. Mint and unmolested as possible is a must.

Wyvern: JUST noticed your PM if you can believe it - sorry! I did send you a PM back - let me know if you get it.

I would really, REALLY love to get one of these picked up - I posted the entire story over at Ducati.ms, but my dad had one of these when I was younger and I went on an epic trip with him. I lost him just a few years ago, and my son and I would like to take a similar trip. I will end up keeping the E900 and adding it to my long term "keeper" collection, and would really like to make this trip with my son on an Elefant in memory of my dad and all of the good times that we had on his bike.

Thanks again everyone!
Bullsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #2089
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
1989 elefant 750

need some details from 750 owners .
whats the top speed and mpg on standard gearing.its a euro spec 1989 750 elephant the owner mentioned it runs on a single mikuni carb(is this stock)
are they dual start or leccy start only.
thanks ian.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #2090
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor4play View Post
whats the top speed and mpg on standard gearing.its a euro spec 1989 750 elephant the owner mentioned it runs on a single mikuni carb(is this stock)
thanks ian.
I can't help too much, but bear with me for a second. If it's a 1989 I'm assuming it's a Pantah engined air cooled "pre-E750" bike. If this is the case then fuel economy is brilliant (whatever that means) because it can be geared to do whatever you want. Mine had tall road tyres on it and a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket when I bought it and it would fly past 200kph and still hauling. mpg on standard gearing and tyres? Wouldn't have a clue - it's been faaar too long for me to remember that kind of detail.

My 1988 Elefant is kick and electric start and I'm pretty sure a 1989 will be the same. The early E750's I'm not so sure about, but I don't think they appeared until around 1992 or 1994. They came with two carb's - Bing, not a single Mikuni. Converting to a pair of Mikuni's was a common modification but not a single. In fact there were pre-made "kits" to convert to Mikuni's complete with throttle cables to suit. I'm not sure how that (a single Mikuni) could be done so doubt it's true. The early 750 Paso's used a single downdraft Webber carb, but that was a very different bike. It's possible that a conversion to something like that could be done, but I'm pretty sure it would require cutting the frame downtube to eliminate the branches for the air intakes of the standard carb inlets. I've thought about doing that once upon a time, but can't bring myself to cut the frame on such a rare bike. (Mine's a Lucky Explorer). Also, having owned a 750 Paso for a few years I don't think I would head down that path anyway - I got a little tired of it being a 375cc bike every time the slighest bit of crap fell into a jet, which happened with uncanny regularity!

Best wishes with it.
Cheers
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #2091
Dograt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor4play View Post
thanks ian.
Don't know much about the Euro 750's. I have two Elefants, one converted to 750cc and the other a standard 650. Both are electric and manual starters. Mileage on both in 50/50 pavement/off-road approaches 50mpg. I have no idea what the top end speed is since I refuse to stress these old engines much over 90% and that equals about 85mph. Both of mine are dual carburetor (DelOrto) models with debris screens every where in the circuits. I have never seen a single carbed Elefant, so doubt that was a factory solution. HTH
Dograt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #2092
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
Dusty Elefant - she got lots dirtier later - but I didn't snap pics to prove it...

IMG_4785 by MotorCade77, on Flickr

Wine in a tin cup

IMG_4787 by MotorCade77, on Flickr

Baby is also not impressed

IMG_4771 by MotorCade77, on Flickr

Napping in the pines

IMG_4762 by MotorCade77, on Flickr

Elefants and fire!

IMG_4805 by MotorCade77, on Flickr

Riley and his riding buddies from another camp

IMG_4820 by MotorCade77, on Flickr
I looked better on it Cade:

Sniff-Sniff:

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #2093
desmo916sp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Elefant Owners

OK ... People ... someone needs to help out here .... I am in if someone can make this happen and supply the slider..
desmo916sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #2094
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
sliders

I ended up buying one from Europe... cost 147 dollars to get it here.
It really is a nice one, but cost waaaaayyyyy too much.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #2095
donaldlav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Chain Sliders for Elefant and Gran Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo916sp View Post
OK ... People ... someone needs to help out here .... I am in if someone can make this happen and supply the slider..
I've emailed Dewey to offer my unused chain sliders for both the Elefant and the Gran Canyon/Navigator. I am waiting on a reply. I have 2 different chain sliders for the Elefant, both with the same part #. I'll take a pic of each to confirm we are all on the same page. These sliders were obtained from different sources.

Donald LaVigne
donaldlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #2096
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey V View Post
I put the same post up on the Elefant Technical thread. If no one comes through then another option would be that one of you guys could physically bring your bike to scenic Lititz. Just drop it off, enjoy the town for a few hours and then come back and collect your bike with the new slider kit installed. You get your sliders and I get what I need to start making kits again so these classic ADV bikes can stay roadworthy.
I went out to see how hard it would be to remove mine and send it to you, but discovered that most of it is missing!
So it's a "no go" on mine!
I have plenty of other bikes to ride while mine would be down, but since it's missing most of the top block and the chain is against the swing arm I ill have to either build one for myself or buy one off you when you get one to make a pattern off of!

Sorry!
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #2097
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
Not many 'Elefant Sightings' of late, so here's one of mine from a couple of weeks ago and a reminder of why it's a god idea to Stop at Stop signs......... even in the middle of nowhere..........

Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #2098
GoSpeed
'getting there

Oddometer: 57
'95 E900 for sale - Northern California

I've decided to sell my '95 E900

Cosmetically it is in fair-to good condition. Engine runs great. Valves recently adjusted - engine purrs and starts right up.
I bought it basically stock about 5 years ago with about ~14K miles (~22K KM) on it
Shortly after buying it the speedo cable snapped. I've purchased and installed two replacements, and they both snap immediately. I haven't spent any more time on it trying to figure out what's the story with it. I just use a GPS instead, and I think I've added another 7 K miles since I bought it.

I have done a bunch of things to it:
1) Odyssey Battery
2) DDL Aftermarket starter wire kit
3) DDL Aftermarket Headlight wiring kit with relay
4) DDL Aftermarket High performance Dyna coils
5) DDL Aftermarket VDO Voltmeter kit
6) ProTaper Handlebars / riser
7) Rebuilt the front forks, new seals & fluid
8) Corbin seat
9) Rebuilt carbs with new DDL aftermarket jet insert
10) New cylinder studs for horizontal cylinder from Nichols Engineering
11) Aftermarket StainTune High performance exhaust
12) Aftermarket wider foot pegs
13) Aftermarket clutch slave cylinder
14) K&N reusable air filter
15) H&K front frame guards

Most upgrades are described here:
http://www.elefantadventurebikes.com...l_upgrade.html

Things I will throw in:
Second rear wheel
Tank bag
Givi monokey rear pannier racks. Needs some work
Cortech soft bags for rear
Extra brake pads
Acerbis hand guards

Asking $2850

Pictures can be seen on Craigslist ad:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3721381437.html

Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #2099
MulletWhip
Bottom Feeder

Oddometer: 177
Bargain...

This is a bargain, if I did own one already I'd be all over this. Make sure you post in the flea market section.

2000 Honda XR650R, Plated
1995 Ducati E900 Elefant
2008 Kawasaki KLX300
2006 Kawasaki KLX110 (sons)
MulletWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #2100
Deligadi
Ele-Fan

Oddometer: 1
Cry So sad to hear about the slider dilemma...

I've been trying to make my own, but without a milling machine it is nearly impossible. Vacation time is coming up in CT and if no one has a set of "Dewey V Specials" to send so he can get the measurements I might just have to trailer my e900 the 312 miles to Lititz, PA.

Another option would be, since I'm replacing my chain and sprockets anyway, I could ship you my rear swing arm. I would pay for shipping there and back and maybe we can work out a deal on the sliders. Any thoughts?
Deligadi is offline   Reply With Quote