ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 303 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #2176
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Apparently we've come full circle with road & tt chainstay U-Brakes.
Yup. ...they sucked then too!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #2177
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Reminds me of my XC Pro thumb shifters w/ XT I used through the mid 90's, and the chainstay mounted U-brake. Apparently we've come full circle with road & tt chainstay U-Brakes.
We used U-brakes on observed trials bikes back in the early 90's. You either had power or travel, not both. BOY were they strong if your rims were true though.
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
2007 Montesa 4rt
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #2178
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer
 
yellowbirdrs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Ags. MX
Oddometer: 966
mine

yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #2179
Mark Manley
On my way
 
Mark Manley's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Back home in the UK
Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
I wanted one of these when I was a kid but my dad said they were unstable and dangerous which I have since found out that they are, the Raleigh Chopper didn't handle very well either.
__________________
If it's in the Touratech catalogue then you don't need it

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #2180
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley View Post
I wanted one of these when I was a kid but my dad said they were unstable and dangerous which I have since found out that they arer.
Yeah, but hey...it's fun to ride once in a while.

Wait...you talking about the bike or the , girl in hotpants and snakeskin cfm boots?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #2181
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 6,341
Beat me to it.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours 2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR...I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #2182
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,677
heck, i've still got XT thumbshifters on a couple of bikes.
i've stuck with them because i got tired of having shifters mounted under the bars banging into my knees when doing the really tricky technical stuff while playing Trials dork. (this would be less of an issue if it weren't for my size and Ape Index.)
the fact that they're lighter than anything else, simple, and just work is just a bonus.
(i set them up to work with 8-spd stuff, and they work great.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Still has the XT thumb shifters and IIRC 7sp cassette. 'Course, if you don't ride, it machts nichts, right?

M
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #2183
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
We used U-brakes on observed trials bikes back in the early 90's. You either had power or travel, not both. BOY were they strong if your rims were true though.
I remember one of the guys I rode with had a Monty trials rig with Magura's hydralic rim brake, pretty cool stuff for circa 1989. I actually had no issues with U brakes, other than being mud magnets. I ran Magura levers with Scott/Mathauser pads, Bullseye cranks & hubs, Bontrager cut down MA40's, Koski fork...the good old days of piecing shit together.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #2184
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
For sure they have there short comings like added weight, flexyness (mine never drop a chain) and scary downhill (with the super short chainstays) but the climb and shed mud better than anything and does two factors where very important for me at the time I made it..
I'm certainly not judging your build, kudos to you for doing it, those of us who were riding in those days knew the strengths and weaknesses, I wanted one for climbing, almost never had mud issues, bog just sheds off. Being a 195 lb masher wouldn't have been good in the flex department though.

My Yeti FRO, from '88 was great but when I bought it I didn't know sizing as well as I should have and it was a size bigger than it should have been. Didn't slow me down much in the end.
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #2185
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,677
my Ibis Trials bike came with U-brakes that worked fairly well.
later, i stumbled across a set of Sh*tmaNO U-brakes with an integrated 'brake booster' arch in a Sale bin at a shop. concealing my enthusiasm, i made a profane deal on them to "take them off his hands", and they turned out to be awesome for that bike (but it admittedly didn't roll through mud much).


Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
I remember one of the guys I rode with had a Monty trials rig with Magura's hydralic rim brake, pretty cool stuff for circa 1989. I actually had no issues with U brakes, other than being mud magnets. I ran Magura levers with Scott/Mathauser pads, Bullseye cranks & hubs, Bontrager cut down MA40's, Koski fork...the good old days of piecing shit together.
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #2186
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
heck, i've still got XT thumbshifters on a couple of bikes.
i've stuck with them because i got tired of having shifters mounted under the bars banging into my knees when doing the really tricky technical stuff while playing Trials dork. (this would be less of an issue if it weren't for my size and Ape Index.)
the fact that they're lighter than anything else, simple, and just work is just a bonus.
(i set them up to work with 8-spd stuff, and they work great.)
Poor man's X x 10: D/A barcons with Paul's Thumbies. Right now, I've got a rear 9sp barcon and a ca 6sp era XT on the other side. I've never used the left Thumbie 'cause the XT still works just fine.

Couple of years ago MBA did a test on shifting. Thumb shifters came in a distant last. ...but what they don't say is you can feel where the shifter is and tell what gear you're in without looking between your legs. You can also roll your knuckle in and shift without using your thumb. ...AND... Friction mode! Bend that der hanger and you can still shift a few gears to get out of the woods without going SS.

All-in-all that new-fangled STI* shit is heavier, more complicated, and for off-roading less able to withstand abuse. I'll pass.

M
(*I have ridden it. I just don't care for it)
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #2187
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,320
Drug home this '52 Montgomery Wards-Hawthorne (CWC), today. Other than the accessories, rear tire, and fork(?), it's all original. The fork and tire are easy to find. I'm going to go through it, true the wheels, new tires/tubes, WD-40 the patina, maybe look for a seat, and ride it. Ballooners aren't my thing, but, I had to save this one from a mud-floor machine shed. It has one small ding in the front fender, a bow in one of the front fender stays, and a small snag in the chainguard. Otherwise, it's straight.


__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #2188
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪
 
HOT DAMN!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Hammond, IN.
Oddometer: 7,633
__________________
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #2189
JamesG
Rabid Poster
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 10,946
speaking of restorations...

One (of the few) benefit to living next door to a low-income rental duplex is that when the renters skip town or are evicted, the owner lets me pick through any of the junk they invariably leave behind. The last pair of characters left behind a set of little kid's 16" wheel bicycles. The were rough and neglected, but they are just the right size for my 4 yr. old daughter to start to learn on.

So I took them in. White plastic tires and tubes were dry rotted, lots of surface rust. All the bearings were dry and raspy. But I was able to cobble together one good bike from the pair. I'm out about $30 for new tubes and tires and about 5 hrs of rebuilding the wheels and getting off most of the rust with foil.



Chose the blue over the pink frame because my son will probably wind up learning on it too.

The Army aluminum field box behind it was also a bit of booted-out-renter-booty.
__________________
I am a conservative, not a Republican. There is a difference.

JamesG screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 07:46 PM
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #2190
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,677
MBA,... those kids are so cute.
when have they ever liked something that wasn't the newest thing you don't have yet and therefore need to buy? (they're almost as bad as Buycycling Magazine.)

i wonder what other criteria they could be judging on; they clearly don't seem to recognize any of the points that matter to us,...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Couple of years ago MBA did a test on shifting. Thumb shifters came in a distant last. ...but what they don't say is you can feel where the shifter is and tell what gear you're in without looking between your legs. You can also roll your knuckle in and shift without using your thumb. ...AND... Friction mode! Bend that der hanger and you can still shift a few gears to get out of the woods without going SS.

All-in-all that new-fangled STI* shit is heavier, more complicated, and for off-roading less able to withstand abuse. I'll pass.

M
(*I have ridden it. I just don't care for it)
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015