Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #46
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Hmm...that's interesting. I just switched to Science Diet, after spending a bunch of time switching around between a few brands--some "natural," and some not-so-"natural," trying to find a seniors formula that the dog wants to upchuck. All I give a damn about is that it's reasonably tasty to him...reasonably healthy, not upchucked, and reasonably easy to clean up after. Pretty much the same criteria I put on myself (I have noooo qualms eating highly processed junk food, and I friggin' love pig knuckle, pig ear, intestines, and all that other crap we eat in Asia that nobody else wants to eat).

I'll be paying attention to the blood tests on the next vet visit.
I don't know if you'll see anything that quick and you might never see any blood related issues, but science diet is a corn based food. I wouldn't recommend it based on that issue alone.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #47
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I checked out your link from page 1. I've been into a lot of different dog food stores, and I honestly have never seen or heard of half those brands. I wonder how many of them are store specific brands or are regional only.
Most big pet stores now, have several aisles of dog food, many of which I have never heard of, and most of which, the prices are astronomical!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #48
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,300
Our dogs seem to like it.

Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #49
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,725
Dogs have the same issues as humans, many have food intolerances - not necessarily full blown allergies, but some have those as well - to wheat, soy and corn. Over time dogs can get skin and digestive issues. And lets not forget that dog food doesn't usually use organic, they use genetically modified versions, which can lead to increased tumor growth and cancer and other diseases. I'm not surprised so many dogs get cancer now a days, just like so many people are getting cancer now.

As much as I don't like the fact that Blue Buffalo advertises on TV their basic dog food, and I purchase Blue Wilderness, which is their premium food. I just looked on the Food Advisor site and the salmon flavor ranks at 6 starts and 5 stars for chicken. When you compare prices, Blue Wilderness seems to be the best value in premium dog food. I don't necessarily believe, you always get a better product when you spend more. Unfortunately at this time I can not spend any more on dog food. If I had more money, there are better foods than what I'm feeding my dog. I'm in the field of holistic nutrition, and when I adopted Atticus (my terrier) I spend about 6-8 hours total comparing dog food labels and reading about what an active breed like a terrier requires for fuel. I also feed him some raw veggies daily. He loves cucumbers, radishes, carrots, cabbage, kale stems, broccoli, cauliflower, and apples

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #50
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Dont feed your dog anything with grains or corn based fillers, it ruins their kidneys. I use Orijen, expensive but dog loves it. i did alot of research and this brand was always mentionedas being the best.. I also give my dog fruit and vegetables.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #51
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVID1 View Post
As much as I don't like the fact that Blue Buffalo advertises on TV their basic dog food, and I purchase Blue Wilderness, which is their premium food. I just looked on the Food Advisor site and the salmon flavor ranks at 6 starts and 5 stars for chicken. When you compare prices, Blue Wilderness seems to be the best value in premium dog food. ...
Blue Buffalo was a baaad move for my dog...Kept throwing it up all over the house. I felt bad for him, and eased him onto something else. I kept trying to find

I can't figure out why corn is a no no, but crap like apple and cheese are ok. True...dogs don't shuck corn. But they don't milk cows or harvest fruit either.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #52
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,810
My wife makes dog food from recipes that are very close to what the Halo brand. Very healthy ingredients, no corn, but it is time consuming and the ingredients are more expensive than kibble alone. When we travel we feed them the canned and dry Halo Spots stew.
http://www.halopets.com/natural-dog-food.html

It seems to be working for Dixie

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #53
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,086
This thread is interesting because I am in the industry and a lot of the sentiments on this thread are a microcosm of what's being said elsewhere. I consider the asylum a group of friends and I'd hate to see anyone lead astray with bogus information. Without giving up my customer's secrets, here's what most need to know: Dog food is like automotive tires: There are far more brands than there are manufacturing facilities. For instance, there is one company; ONE company, that produces 3500 different SKUs of dog and cat food cans. That's a whole bunch of the same product with different labels. Many of the brands that are part of this thread are made by a copacker and simply marketed by the brand. As some of you have noted, there are private label brands that are regional and only available locally

The pet industry is a $50B industry annually, and as the last recession cycle showed, relatively safe during economic downturns. Big business gets this and some large food companies (Del Monte, Cargill, Nestle) are stepping up their efforts in the premium pet food category. Premium pet food is as much about marketing as it is about science. Technically speaking, the name 'premium' doesn't legally exist. All petfoods, whether it's the cheap Ol' Roy at Walmart or some new fufu brand at the boutique store must have AAFCO approved ingredients. Trust me, it's harder to get a new pet food ingredient introduced than it is for human food ingredients. AAFCO approves everything, right down to the language that's written on the bag or can.

I won't bash or recommend any particular brand because individual animals will respond differently and their caloric and nutritional needs will vary. For years I fed my dogs one of the premium brands already mentioned on this thread (and also a customer) and my dogs gained too much weight for my vet's satisfaction. Now they are on a frozen, raw diet (not my customer and extremely $$ to boot) and they are doing much better.

If anyone else is in the industry and will be a Global Pet in Orlando next month, PM me and we'll grab a beer.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #54
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
From what Ive researched on dog foods is the grains are so low quality that it puts extra strain on their kidneys, ever notice how when dogs get old and die is usually their kidneys failing. Also people dont realize a dog isnt a true carnavore, more of an omnimore(sp) The more veg and fruit you can get them to eat the better, but no grapes. My austrlian shepard love bannas, apples, asparagus, yogurt smoothys etc. No problems with digestion, but some dogs might.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #55
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
And humans can survive on gruel. But with all we've learned about nutrition we know how to eat better. I try to treat my pets the same way.
I wasn't talking about survival You can look at it that way, but I've studied those animals, they weren't malnourished

I agree that there is bad food and there is good food, but there's also a lot of hype and psychology involved- i.e., directed at the ones with wallets... And yes, corn might not be best in a way (hint- look at nations where corn is a staple, they don't face same health problems as more developed countries), but as far as I know it's not as simple as 'a food has corn hence is bad'. The way is processed,most kibbles are at a high temp destroying most nutrients, the extra crap in there, way it's bagged, the other food the dog gets, genetics, immediate environment, and the list goes on.

It's easy to teach a dog to like veggies and fruits- use those as treats, and not the garbage that's advertised as treats. Similarly, use dry food that has the least amount of ingredients, and less processing.
Use dry food as an add-on, not the main meal. Feed less than it says on the bag, haven't found one food where the intake wasn't grossly increased.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #56
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Blue Buffalo was a baaad move for my dog...Kept throwing it up all over the house. I felt bad for him, and eased him onto something else. I kept trying to find

I can't figure out why corn is a no no, but crap like apple and cheese are ok. True...dogs don't shuck corn. But they don't milk cows or harvest fruit either.
From comparing labels Blue Buffalo is way different from Blue Wilderness, their premium brand, which I use.

It's about proper nutrition. Giving dogs raw vegetables and some fruit like apples, gives them enzymes and fiber, plus unprocessed raw nutrients.

Processed GMO corn in dog food is used a filler because it's cheap, but it doesn't provide any nutritional value.

BTW, we have two apple trees in the back yard and the dogs totally harvest the apples

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #57
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
This thread is interesting because I am in the industry and a lot of the sentiments on this thread are a microcosm of what's being said elsewhere. I consider the asylum a group of friends and I'd hate to see anyone lead astray with bogus information. Without giving up my customer's secrets, here's what most need to know: Dog food is like automotive tires: There are far more brands than there are manufacturing facilities. For instance, there is one company; ONE company, that produces 3500 different SKUs of dog and cat food cans. That's a whole bunch of the same product with different labels. Many of the brands that are part of this thread are made by a copacker and simply marketed by the brand. As some of you have noted, there are private label brands that are regional and only available locally

The pet industry is a $50B industry annually, and as the last recession cycle showed, relatively safe during economic downturns. Big business gets this and some large food companies (Del Monte, Cargill, Nestle) are stepping up their efforts in the premium pet food category. Premium pet food is as much about marketing as it is about science. Technically speaking, the name 'premium' doesn't legally exist. All petfoods, whether it's the cheap Ol' Roy at Walmart or some new fufu brand at the boutique store must have AAFCO approved ingredients. Trust me, it's harder to get a new pet food ingredient introduced than it is for human food ingredients. AAFCO approves everything, right down to the language that's written on the bag or can.

I won't bash or recommend any particular brand because individual animals will respond differently and their caloric and nutritional needs will vary. For years I fed my dogs one of the premium brands already mentioned on this thread (and also a customer) and my dogs gained too much weight for my vet's satisfaction. Now they are on a frozen, raw diet (not my customer and extremely $$ to boot) and they are doing much better.

If anyone else is in the industry and will be a Global Pet in Orlando next month, PM me and we'll grab a beer.
I was in marketing for various manufacturing companies for 16 years so I know the evils of marketing. But unless the labels are lying, premium dog food usually has no grains and less of the cheaper stuff, like it will have more chicken instead of chicken meal or chicken by product. So to me it doesn't really matter which premium food I get, the brand name and label means nothing to me, as long as I get the right set of ingredients.

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR

VIVID1 screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 04:35 PM
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #58
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
And lets not forget that dog food doesn't usually use organic, they use genetically modified versions, which can lead to increased tumor growth and cancer and other diseases. I'm not surprised so many dogs get cancer now a days, just like so many people are getting cancer now.

I hate to see this thread turned into an argument, but this quoted statement is bogus, and unwarranted.

It's NEVER been proven that organic anything is better than GM anything. And it's absolutely never been proven that GM foods cause tumors!

Interesting recent turn of opinion:

http://www.newser.com/story/161321/a...was-wrong.html
Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #59
jeeppurz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I used to feed my dogs purina pro plan, but switch to the costco band at half the cost. My bitches seem to be doing just fine on the cheaper stuff.
jeeppurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #60
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,086
Quote:
, premium dog food usually has no grains and less of the cheaper stuff, like it will have more chicken instead of chicken meal or chicken by product. So to me it doesn't really matter which premium food I get, the brand name and label means nothing to me, as long as I get the right set of ingredients.
VIVID1- Kudos to you for taking the time to read the labels but please don't make the assumption that all grains are bad for all dogs and that somehow "grain-free" on the front of the bag is any more nutritionally superior to those brands who substitute grains with non-grains (potato starch, pea starch, etc..). Common grains used in the pet food industry (corn, wheat, barley, rice, oats...) can all be processed to different nutritional capacities. Formulators use grains and grain substitutes for more than just 'filler'. Read the back of the bag. That's where the important stuff is.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: