Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #6046
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
Also have some parts for sale in the flea market.
Me too...just posted in the Flea Market for a Honda shop manual, a Sigma jet kit + K&N filter, an OEM decal for the headlight surround, etc.

Thanks to the mods for letting me double post.....I am open to offers as well.

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #6047
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Clutch Replacement

Ok I am in the middle of a clutch replacement. I looked at the excellent tutorial by IBJim and I have the manual open.

For the 4 bolts that hold on the lifter plate I can find no mention of how far to tighten them down or what torque to tighten them to. Do they go all the way down or just down some until the clutch springs are compressed. The lock nut goes to 43lbs so I have that already.

By the way the special socket to remove the locknut and the EBC Clutch removal tool can be found on fleabay for much cheaper than the OEM parts. I think I got both for about 50 bucks.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #6048
MadDoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonroy View Post
Me too...just posted in the Flea Market for a Honda shop manual, a Sigma jet kit + K&N filter, an OEM decal for the headlight surround, etc.

Thanks to the mods for letting me double post.....I am open to offers as well.

Hi mate, what's the URL for that flea market? do they ship outside the US or just put seller and buyer into contact?

Cheers from New Zealand

BTW I have a 1988 AX-1 and the gear got stuck in 3 or 4. Sucks that you need to uninstall MOST of the bike in order to service the tranny...I spent almost 2 days just to remove the engine...Any advice re tranny repairs would be most welcome.
MadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #6049
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Pay close attention to the location of all the washers/spacers if you take the transmisison shafts apart.

What parts are bad in the gear box? I have an entire transmission in my spares.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDoc View Post
Hi mate, what's the URL for that flea market? do they ship outside the US or just put seller and buyer into contact?

Cheers from New Zealand

BTW I have a 1988 AX-1 and the gear got stuck in 3 or 4. Sucks that you need to uninstall MOST of the bike in order to service the tranny...I spent almost 2 days just to remove the engine...Any advice re tranny repairs would be most welcome.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #6050
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Cool2 Progress on my NX!

I wanted to share with you some pics of the work Id been doing this weekend.

First, I replaced the rear shock. What I managed to buy is the same thing it was installed before..

Its 32.5cm long from center to center; and 3cm for the brackets

I really tried to manufacture the bracket that holds the skid plate to the engine but I failed, so I ordered it from https://www.partzilla.com/ together with some other stuff:

Spare blank Ignition key (only had one)
a screen - oil filter (the square one)
the oil dipstick (used to have a metal bolt there hehe..)
the reserve tank for the radiator (mine was complete worn... really..)
and the retainer that goes on the front wheel that makes the speedometer move (mine was smashed)

and some more stuff I dedicated a few minutes..

Id been trying to blow out the brake caliper pistons to clean them, but failed to do so... I tried applying pressurized air through the fluid inlet, but nothing happened.. so if anybody knows a trick or two, please share...
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #6051
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
I wanted to share with you some pics of the work Id been doing this weekend.

First, I replaced the rear shock. What I managed to buy is the same thing it was installed before..

Its 32.5cm long from center to center; and 3cm for the brackets

d been trying to blow out the brake caliper pistons to clean them, but failed to do so... I tried applying pressurized air through the fluid inlet, but nothing happened.. so if anybody knows a trick or two, please share...
Great stuff - I just love reports of Nixies been rejuvenated, probably because I was always too lazy to do so myself .
I just cant believe that you bought all that new stuff, it must have cost you a little fortune - but now you can call yourself a real NX-maniac .

Concerning the brake caliper there is only method I know to get the pistons out of the caliper without ruining them you have to refill the brake line with fluid and push the pistons out with the brake lever. Since usually only one piston is moving at a time and the other will still stuck, you should put a 8mm thick wooden board into the caliper to prevent that one piston is falling out of the caliper before the other one is even moving.

Good luck! And by the way, the XR600/650 calipers are identical and easy and cheap to get ;-)
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #6052
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

If anyone needs any NX stuff, I have a complete running engine and about half of another engine along with other stuff. Keep those NX's running!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 AM   #6053
MadDoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
If anyone needs any NX stuff, I have a complete running engine and about half of another engine along with other stuff. Keep those NX's running!
Hi mate, it looks I need water pump - in particular shaft, mechanical seal, oil seal and O-ring.
Any idea how to arrange shipping to New Zealand?
Thanks
MadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #6054
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
Id been trying to blow out the brake caliper pistons to clean them, but failed to do so... I tried applying pressurized air through the fluid inlet, but nothing happened.. so if anybody knows a trick or two, please share...
Remove caliper from the disc..
Compress brake lever fully. Repeat.

The fluid pressure will have much higher mechanical advantage over air pressure, and will LAUNCH those caliper pistons..
(Best to have them a 'catch net' of some type, I've seen them fly 10meters more than once, don't lose an eye~)

Re-fill the resevoir with brake fluid, pump them up, bleed the air...then, remove the caliper from the disc, and squeeze!
let us know if it works!

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #6055
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

I may have an extra pump, but don't want to pull one off the running engine. The seals I wouldn't reuse. I'll see what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDoc View Post

Hi mate, it looks I need water pump - in particular shaft, mechanical seal, oil seal and O-ring.
Any idea how to arrange shipping to New Zealand?
Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #6056
Kingkobaa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
From post number #4682 onward on page 313 there is talk about the 13kw limited power NX 250.
I have Honda nx 250 1995 and I think it's the limited power versio MD25330 (IIG only Germany). The last owner said that the bike is 17kw, but somehow I have feeling it isn't.
Today I cleaned my carburetor(PD6BLAH) and saw that It has #35 slow jet and #140 main jet. Since the original limited power NX has main jet #145 and #35 slow jet, this seems like the last owner had changed the main jet.

Some more info:

Carburetor on F, ED and SP type: Keihin PD6BG
Carburetor on G type: Keihin PD6BH
Carburetor on IIG type: Keihin PD6BJ

Main jet on F, ED, SP and G type #140
Main jet on IIG type #145
Slow jet on F, ED and SP type #38
Slow jet on G and IIG type #35

Pilot screw initial opening
F, ED and SP type 1 - 3/8 turns out
G type 2 turns out
IIG type 1 - 5/8 turns out

My problem with the bike is that when I open the throttle full open quickly it will strutter(seems like the bike is going to die). My question is should I change the main jet back to #145?(The exhaust on my bike has been derestricted and there are some holes drilled to the airfilter box to ensure more air) So even though the bike might be 17kw, will the derestricted exhaust have so much impact that the bike doesn't run well when opening the throttle full open?
Or could it be that the owner has changed the jets but not the insulator carb? What would be the best way to see if the insulator carb has also been changed?

Thank you all in advance!
Kingkobaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #6057
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
NX250 For Sale.....maybe

I have too many projects. I have the bike running but it still stumbles some when under load but as soon as it gets above 5K rpms it does good. My son is no longer interested in it, so even though I think it is a neat bike, I am going to unload it.

I replaced the clutch, it is good now.

I cleaned the tank and it was good. No leaks but it started to surface rust almost immediately. I probably need to use one of the coating treatments to stop the rust.

Most of the plastics are there except the ones that cover the air cleaner and the opposite side. The turn signals all need replacing.

I have the original engine. The valves were too far out to be adjusted. The bottom end was good. I replaced it with an engine from ebay.

I still havent mastered the posting pics thing. I can try to work on it tomorrow. If you text me I can send you pics.

I am locate in Southern California
Let me know if any of you guys are interested. If not, it goes to CL or ebay.

760-285-1670
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #6058
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

If it helps your sale, I have the plastic cover for the air cleaner. Hit me up if you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy View Post
IMost of the plastics are there except the ones that cover the air cleaner and the opposite side.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #6059
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Hi y'a, by'ya!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #6060
stoppiepopper
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Fair Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Fun little drive home:

Good man yourself looks like your havin fun Im irish aswell i rented a ax1 in thailand a few years back and fell in love with it i bought a nx250 dominator at christmas and its basically the same bike just not as flash as the ax but its a beauty aswell have a few things to do on it nothing major just wear and tear from our well maintained irish roads its good to see a fellow irishman on this thread best of luck with your bike man
stoppiepopper is offline   Reply With Quote