User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
Rubber Brake Parts Replacement

Bike: 2010 ninja 250 @ ~50,000 kms

I'm disassembling the front and rear master cylinders and reservoirs. The rubbers look OKAY. No rips, cracks, swelling etc. But, the bike is approaching it's 4 year.

The things I'm more concerned about are the primary and secondary cups inside the master cylinders. They are harder than say the rubber used for the diaphragms of the reservoirs but I'm not sure if that's normal. Other than that, they seem okay.

indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
bleed them and if they work don't worry about it. it's only 4 years old man. if you really want to get into it, disassemble it carefully and clean and re-install, but you shouldn't need to replace most brake rubber stuff.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,389
Not a bad idea opening them up for inspections but shouldn't really need to if the fluids have been changed frequently. No intention of doing my bike and it is older that yours but keep reading, I am greasing the externals.Yeah my bike came from your wet city and I was finding corrosion in weird places, gone now working on prevention.

Never mind the rubbers for a minute, what does the bores look like?That's where you usually find problems.

There are special mounting greases for that, they are even good at softening/preserving rubber and fully compatible with brake fluids. Don't use what they call brake grease nowadays, it has sillycone in it. May mix with brake fluids at first but a few days later will clump. I did the tests.

Very hard to find around here the proper lube, got my big can from the UK. If not in a big hurry I'll send you a clump of it, I have a 20 years supply. Google Millers Rubber grease or Castrol Red grease for specs. There is also PBR that makes it and that one is possibly available around here.

Brake fluid will do in a pinch but you have to remove any residue from the outside of the seals and external parts, it will attract moisture and create corrosion. That's why I don't use it and that's not in most manuals that. Excess rubber grease on the outside of the pistons will help prevent corrosion and keep the rubber boot or whatever serves as a dust/moisture seal nice and pliable preventing moisture/dirt ingress from the outside of the system.

H96669 screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 03:36 PM
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,064
Now that you've disassembled these, they may or may not work upon reassembly. I'd replace the rubber pieces with new OEM bits. You'll note that the manual page says that the "secondary cup" is damaged upon removal.

Why in the world did you feel the need to disassemble parts that are probably less than four years old? If you flush the fluid once every few years and avoid parking underwater, they wouldn't need to be rebuilt for many decades.

Also, just FYI and for the folks playing along at home, aftermarket brake caliper and master cylinder kits are dangerous ill-fitting CRAP. Use new OEM bits only.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,090
I have used this product to soften older rubber pieces: http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...er-renue-408a/
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
I have used this product to soften older rubber pieces: http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...er-renue-408a/
Very interesting and a Canadian product. I have something else by them, Conformal Coating, fine product and another 20 years supply in that can.

Reusing the pistons, I won't get into that....some do and some don't. But what the manual says is "do not to remove the secondary cup from the piston as it can be damaged".They are usually kind of built in there and can't be replaced. Not "damaged when removed from the cylinder" altough that can easily happen if the circlip groove is sharp or corroded.

Need good magnifiers sometimes to work on them brake parts.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,916
I have a 2007 Ninja 250 with around 17K on it now. The only thing I've done to the brakes since it was brand new is flush the fluid a few times and replace the front brake line with a braided stainless line. It has been exclusively garage stored though. I think I'm probably about ready for front pads...

In short, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you keep the fluid relatively fresh, that stuff lasts a LONG time.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
AllenL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I always replace the internal rubber bits with OEM parts while I've got everything disassembled. Depending on the condition of the boots, they don't always get replaced.

Why not just go ahead an replace them?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

What I'd like to know is if the OP has his other parts such as engine/transmission back together and ready to go before he goes on chasing other potential problems?

Not much point adding to the tasks and can get expensive real fast.Maybe not on a Ninja but BMW prices on brake parts is enough to make someone cry.

Some of our younger employees have a really hard time with multitasking, we really have to slow them down otherwise things break or we get serious safety issues. Goes the other way also as in even installing new parts in brake systems, not a guarantee that the system will be safe to ride later.....!

"Should I do this?" are better questions to ask here than....I have done this and "What do you think?" You can guess which one I'd rather hear at work.....