Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #16
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
I've done three track days so far, one at Texas World Speedway and two at Hallett in Oklahoma, and I took the "school" that goes along with the beginner group (required for first timers?) and i found them decent. I haven't taken any of the more famous (and expensive!) track schools, but I was dragging knees all over both tracks on my beemer , so I'm a happy man! The instructors were competent and would follow or lead you around the track and debrief you afterwards and there was plenty of time to ask questions in the classroom (one of the instructors at Hallett is actually a cop! Funny, a cop teaching you how to properly accelerate onto the straight at 100+). But you had to speak up and participate to get the most out of it, at both tracks the Level 1 was quite a large group. There were professional racers at both tracks who would offer insight and demonstrations at lunch break, and seeing these guys in action was pretty impressive. And at about $100-$120 it's def worth it! Seems the going rate is at least double/triple times that for a day's worth of ANY sort of instruction. If you have a sorta-local track that offers a beginner class, take advantage of the proximity, convenience, and price before you shell out for one of the famous schools (unless you live close to a famous school)! You will learn (and lean) a lot.

And it's fun as hell. Zoom!

I made a little vid of my Hallet track day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk7zo8wzv1M
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #17
KKop
...and proud of it!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer
http://www.schwantzschool.com/
I have been to this one 4 times. Absolute blast. I'm going again this year. They have a 2 day and a 3 day, and they are always sold out at least a month in advance. If you plan to go, don't wait too long to sign up. The equipment is top notch, brand new current year gear. Road Atlanta is an amazing track with a lot of elevation change, and a lot of blind corners. The instructors are all very, very talented riders that are super helpful and super friendly. Some says it's expensive, but you get what you pay for. Wanna go really fast on a really world class track? Clickthe link and sign up.
[whine]

I looked into this one, but couldn't justify the cost and the financial risk:

1. You can only do the course on a Suzuki. So, if you have one bring your own, or
2. Rent a Suzuki from Schwantz. You wreck it, you pay for it, there's no insurance you can take out.

I don't own a Suzuki, so I'd have to rent one, making the whole thing more expensive. Then, since this would be my first course like this, there's a real chance of damaging the bike, which would add even more cost to the whole thing, up to the value of the bike ($$$$).

I checked into other schools (Freddie Spencer's for instance), and they do let you take ut insurance, and allow all makes of bikes. But Kevin Schwantz' school is next door to me, and Freddie is half a continent away...

[/whine]
... I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic ...
--
2007 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200
KKop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
Fast Eddie
GS Boxers forever.......

Oddometer: 420
Attended Penguin Track School at Homestead International in Feb. '08. Mostly oriented to track prep, not so much actual technique. Rode their rental Ducati 900 SS'. As noted earlier, track course rules and flags emphasized. Even in the A (least experienced) level emphasis seemed to be directed to people planning to race the next couple of days. I would say for someone without track experience, what I've heard of other more technique oriented schools would be a better fit. It was a blast though and there was plenty of unsolicited one-on-one, follow my lines guidance with critique. There were afew squidly younger people there with 4 crashes during the day.

I signed up for the BMW-Spartanburg-South Carolina Speedway course in June. One day track and one day off-road. Will feedback on that shortly. Invested in my personal leathers, boots, helmet, etc. and wasn't sorry. It will be interesting to see the diference in participants at the BMW school as it is about twice as expensive. Might be a bunch of older more paced riders. Might not. Will use my 1200 GS for that course.

If Emmanuel Kant, can Ghenghis Kahn?

'05 R 1200 GS
'06 R 1200 GS
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
I've done a couple of Jason Pridmore's STAR schools.

Both at Hallett, Oklahoma a few years ago.

Generally good. I'd say they have more of a racing focus than real-world focus. Lots of instructors. Jason is cool.

I learned a lot at my first school, and I'd been riding for sixteen years at the time...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
old wanderer
Old quick guy

Oddometer: 371
I started doing schools when I bought a race bike. Can never learn too much.

1. I had a track pass with Keigwin, and could attend the shools at no cost other than using the track days. I really love Thunderhill and have over 1500 miles on that track. Getting to know the instructors is important, and unless you push yourself to where you are uncomfortable you will not improve. The advanced classes were great with a little sprint race to help get the juices flowing. WIth lots of track time, I found I could work on different techniques on different corners....really a well run 2 day school.

2. I won a California SUperbike School, and went through level III. Quick flicks and different techniques were the norm. Great instructors, but you need to get your head out of riding quick lap times, and concentrate on the exercises to get the value of what they are teaching. I got hauled off the track for agressive passing and had it emphasized that this was a corning school not a track school. I did all my classes at Streets of WIllow.

3. Lee Parks school....Interesting, and I rode my 250cc GP race bike. It woudl have been a lot more benificail to have taken my CapoNord. For the street rider this school is worth the time to absorb the lessons. Lee;s book is good also.

4. Rawhide, I have been up there for a benifit, and it looks like a great place to learn how to handle a big bike in chaleging conditions.

5. Ventura County BMW has a series of classes for Dual Sport bikes, I have had a good time riding these with both my 08 KLR 650 and the CapoNord. found out that the Capo was really quick, but what a heavy pig when you make a mistake and stop on a side hill and put your down hill foot down..(dumb), or get behind a slow bike on a switch back and forget to get into 1st.....(chug,,,chug,,,,bam) (Pretty embarsing to fall down on a paved road at 5 MPH). This series has had some really good off road riding. Lane that instructs it is a fun guy to ride with.

Bottom line.....you can always learn new tricks.....I just turned 69 and sure don't know it all and I have been riding since 1957.

Iron Butt #32691

Life begins at 30 but starts to become really fascinating approaching 150!!

2008 KLR 705+
2007 Beta 525RR
2003 Aprilia Futura
2001 Aprilia Falco(2)
2002 Aprilia CapoNord
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4 (Track only)
old wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Bump…just want to dig up this old thread to give a +1 (actually two of us went) for Cornerspin

We went in Spring of 2012, but I never posted my own review.(I just lurk here, but since I rely this forum's reviews and recommendations, I figured I'd share:). It was an excellent experience (really, really, so much fun, with a distinct improvement in my riding skills ), I can’t recommend the school and Aaron Stevenson highly enough. I would definitely go again (probably will), and it made the cost of attending other riding schools seem like a better idea (I will now definitely do cornerspeed at some point, but probably do total control first).

+1 to you “can never learn too much.”

Other people do a better job than I would of reviewing Cornerspin , so here are some fun and useful threads about the school:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=cornerspin

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=cornerspin

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...nerspin&page=3
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote