ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #20296
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post

It really sucks that it is rated as such a bad offense,
You would be amazed(saddened really) at what they will write reckless driving tickets for...damn near any moving violation can be interpreted as reckless driving in their eyes. It's a win, win for them as they can still reduce the ticket in court and still collect a good bit of coin.
If bastardbiker(BB) fights it(reckless is a mandatory court appearance) instead of pleading guilty they will probably reduce it to improper driving, which is what he should have been charged with to begin with. If you can show it was not reckless to be standing on the pegs then it can't be reckless driving. This of course all depends on what mood the judge is in that day.

It would still be best to at least talk to a lawyer if not hire one to defend you BB.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #20297
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Heh. I have one. A TLR200.

OK, it DOES have a small seat. I doubt my knees bend enough to allow me to sit, though.

Many years ago, I received a warning about coming to a complete stop on my street legal TL250. I neglected to put my foot down.
IIRC, the Kawasaki Trials KT-250 was also street legal. We only sold one back in the mid '70s, so don't remember.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #20298
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
You would be amazed(saddened really) at what they will write reckless driving tickets for...damn near any moving violation can be interpreted as reckless driving in their eyes. It's a win, win for them as they can still reduce the ticket in court and still collect a good bit of coin.
If bastardbiker(BB) fights it(reckless is a mandatory court appearance) instead of pleading guilty they will probably reduce it to improper driving, which is what he should have been charged with to begin with. If you can show it was not reckless to be standing on the pegs then it can't be reckless driving. This of course all depends on what mood the judge is in that day.

It would still be best to at least talk to a lawyer if not hire one to defend you BB.
BMW Performance Center's Dual-Sport Foundations class teaches riding on the pegs as an appropriate way to ride some surfaces (e.g., named but unmaintained roads that are rough), not just as a way to cross a 2x4 or other "feature". Which raises the question: is it seriously regarded by the letter of the law as flat-out "wreckless" when it is taught as a useful skill?

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #20299
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 882
Weather

Careful up there in RIC. Bad weather coming your way. Atlanta is shut down with tornados in the area. RIC is next.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #20300
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Careful up there in RIC. Bad weather coming your way. Atlanta is shut down with tornados in the area. RIC is next.
Thanks Chuck. Keeping an eye on it.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #20301
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Hey everyone! First I want to say thanks for everyone's input on the discussion of my ticket. And ESPECIALLY thank you for suggesting the motorcycle law firm. I have been in touch with them over the course of the day and have an appointment to talk to Matt tomorrow and show him my ticket. He said flat out that the ticket is total bullshit and they will represent me for free to "educate" the offending officer. He even said that they would get the head of the motorcycle safety foundation in VA (or someone like that) to testify on my behalf. Wow!

Working in my favor, there were railroad tracks near where I got stopped and some uneven pavement/potholes as well so I think I might be OK. I don't expect it to be altogether dismissed necessarily but I will be very surprised if I actually end up with reckless. I'll let you all know how the meeting with the lawyer goes, and again I can't thank you all enough for getting me their info!

In other news, I highsided the shit out of my DRZ today and snapped my friggin clavicle right in half. It separated almost an inch. Not fun. But what hurts worse is knowing that I'm going to be off the bike for about a month. Luckily the bike is totally fine except for some rash on the plastic. Definitely a bummer but talking to the lawyer has me in good spirits after all. It will be nice to have the upper hand in a courtroom for once! I might even get to see that overzealous officer feel a sense of shame and embarrassment! What a concept...

Love you guys. You all kick ass. And no, that's not the Percocet talking!

Cheers

bastardbiker screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 01:32 PM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #20302
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Hey everyone! First I want to say thanks for everyone's input on the discussion of my ticket. And ESPECIALLY thank you for suggesting the motorcycle law firm. I have been in touch with them over the course of the day and have an appointment to talk to Matt tomorrow and show him my ticket. He said flat out that the ticket is total bullshit and they will represent me for free to "educate" the offending officer. He even said that they would get the head of the motorcycle safety foundation in VA (or someone like that) to testify on my behalf. Wow!

Working in my favor, there were railroad tracks near where I got stopped and some uneven pavement/potholes as well so I think I might be OK. I don't expect it to be altogether dismissed necessarily but I will be very surprised if I actually end up with reckless. I'll let you all know how the meeting with the lawyer goes, and again I can't thank you all enough for getting me their info!

In other news, I highsided the shit out of my DRZ today and snapped my friggin clavicle right in half. It separated almost an inch. Not fun. But what hurts worse is knowing that I'm going to be off the bike for about a month. Luckily the bike is totally fine except for some rash on the plastic. Definitely a bummer but talking to the lawyer has me in good spirits after all. It will be nice to have the upper hand in a courtroom for once! I might even get to see that overzealous officer feel a sense of shame and embarrassment! What a concept...

Love you guys. You all kick ass. And no, that's not the Percocet talking!

Cheers
You sure your middle name isn't mayhem????

Know all about them busted clavicles. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #20303
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 520
Bastard that SUCKS!!!!

Dirt tires on the street? What happened? (Just so we can all learn from your DOH moment!)

Best damn radar site I have found.....

http://www.funtimevaaeronuts.org/weather/weather3.htm

storms a coming!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #20304
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
I read a post not long ago on this forum about someone alerting us to a 'Motorcycle Advocacy Group' here in Virginia that was trying to get some helmet laws changed.... I wonder if this is something we can ping them about as a possible issue to formally consider. Does anyone remember what that group is... it's hard to search through pages and pages on this forum... at least for me until I get better at it I suppose.
That Group is the Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists and was founded by none other than Tom MCGrath. VCOM Website They are a lobbying group responsible for supporting us when the General Assembly is in session.

I had Matt as my Lawyer 5+ yrs ago after I was T-boned from a Red Light runner here in Williamsburg. Very pleased with the settlement outcome and Matt is really a great Lawyer even if he does ride an HD!

jh

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #20305
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
That Group is the Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists and was founded by none other than Tom MCGrath. VCOM Website They are a lobbying group responsible for supporting us when the General Assembly is in session.

I had Matt as my Lawyer 5+ yrs ago after I was T-boned from a Red Light runner here in Williamsburg. Very pleased with the settlement outcome and Matt is really a great Lawyer even if he does ride an HD!

jh
As is Tom..... even tho' he also rides an HD, and a trike, and who knows what else. I've known Tom since the early days of VCOM and back when I actually sat on their Board of Directors. His law group is there for us and will do whatever is necessary to make sure you are well represented.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #20306
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Since I now have limited chew capability, any thoughts on the RTE for this Friday?

Know flurries are predicted, but figured I'd get the thought process out there working.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #20307
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Woah Bastard! Did you wreck on road or off?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #20308
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Guy needs an RTS. Ride-To-Smoothie. I'm off Friday and might be interested in heading south iffin the chow sounds good...

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #20309
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Hey everyone! First I want to say thanks for everyone's input on the discussion of my ticket. And ESPECIALLY thank you for suggesting the motorcycle law firm.

I can't thank you all enough for getting me their info!
That's what we are here for. Any one of us stands on the pegs from time to time. Although I will say I don't do it in the city.....

Quote:
In other news, I highsided the shit out of my DRZ today and snapped my friggin clavicle right in half.....

It will be nice to have the upper hand in a courtroom for once! I might even get to see that overzealous officer feel a sense of shame and embarrassment! What a concept...
Might I offer a little advice? I gave you the link because we all feel that just standing on the pegs should not be a write-able offense. We all feel for you man. But given your other news of the day, I'd say either postpone your court date until after you are healed, or DO NOT show up at court with your arm in a sling. You could become your own worst evidence in a "reckless driving" charge, especially if they ask you how you hurt yourself.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but getting written for reckless driving and saying it was unjustified, then high-siding a bike and breaking your clavicle later on the same day? Bad luck? Bad Karma? I know it could happen to any of us, but jeez bastardbiker.... things seem to be happening to you on a regular basis here.

just saying.......

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #20310
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
It occurred to me that Pete was able to post this without anyone making a comment. I know a motorcycle is just a gateway drug to more motorcycles but I'm beginning to think older Connie's are just a gateway drug to used vstroms. It is almost as if you've ever owned a pre 08 ninja 250 or an older Connie you have a DL in your future.
I went from an '01 Connoe to an '07 Wee, you may be on to something.............
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote