User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
leprechaun_sean OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Oil Draining Issue!

So, after the arrival of my beautiful, all be it deprieved and left in a garage for 22 years, Honda CJ250, all has been peachy.

I've cleaned the inside of the tank (and spent 3 hours hand picking out bb pellets after not realising the hole had a lip inside it), changed the air filter, and finally wanted to change the oil before starting her up.

However...

The oil drain plug is so corroded on, love nor money will ever get it off it seems. I've tried every type of physical force possible, and while I've read that a blow torch around the edge usually helps, I'm loath to start burning things upside down, especially considering the amount of various liubricants etc I've already sprayed around there. Therefore, do any of you fine ladies and gents know any other way of draining oil, or for that matter removing 30 years of neglected plugs?
leprechaun_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
I have heard of people drilling a smaller hole up the middle of the drain plug and tapping a thread in it and putting a standard bolt, maybe 8mm thread as a new drain plug.

You'd want to be careful not to get swarf into the sump as you drill and tap. Go slowly and put a big blob of heavy grease on the drill bit and then on the tap.

Alternatively, you could take the dipstick out and turn the bike upside down

pommie john screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 06:24 PM
pommie john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
toadjam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
oil drain

why not just drop the sump .the sieve on the oil pump will need cleaning anyway and you could take the sump to a garage/machine shop .
toadjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,249
6 point Snap-On (King Dick for you) with a 1/2" breaker bar. It's coming off, so long as no knuckle dragger has rounded the hex. Not likely corroded, just overtightened.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
leprechaun_sean OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I've enlisted the help of a friend to lower the bike on its side, we'll try get it off again from there at a better angle, failing that we'll propane torch it, and then as a last resort we'll drill through

Thanks for all your replies, I'll let you know what happens!
leprechaun_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechaun_sean View Post
I've enlisted the help of a friend to lower the bike on its side, we'll try get it off again from there at a better angle, failing that we'll propane torch it, and then as a last resort we'll drill through

Thanks for all your replies, I'll let you know what happens!

Make sure that tipping it on its side doesn't spill petrol everywhere if you're going to get the propane torch out