Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #15901
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
What kind of reserve range are you seeing with the 6.3?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

No idea. I haven't tested it but you actually have two reserves provided you have the plumbing run appropriately. The 6.3 has two petcocks on either lobe. The second tube has to run either above or below the carb. In either event you don't get all the gas because the lobes go below the carb intake. In a REALLY bad situation you could then tip the bike over and fill a bladder / bottle then tie that into the carb to use all the gas. Once again, not great but it would get you that extra 10K if need be.

I need to fill up from empty and see what the tank actually holds, then see how much is there when I fill to better guage my distance. With possibly 500+ KM of range I don't worry too much about gas and know 400 is no issue unless I'm working the bike really hard, and even then I only hit the reserve once on my way to San Ignacio in Baja. I had to pull over just before the military stop to turn on my reserve.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #15902
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,875
not to beat a dead horse, but here's my oil level after oil / filter change and 1.7 QTS oil added. Idled bike for 5 min and shut it off and checked the level upright.

and here's hontri's level - I haven't added any extra to see how much it takes to bring it up to that level. Anybody just adding 2 QTS at the oil change?

PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #15903
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
not to beat a dead horse, but here's my oil level after oil / filter change and 1.7 QTS oil added. Idled bike for 5 min and shut it off and checked the level upright.

and here's hontri's level - I haven't added any extra to see how much it takes to bring it up to that level. Anybody just adding 2 QTS at the oil change?

Yoh Piney Those black marks on the steel oil tube are the correct upper full mark and lower add mark in relation to the dipstick. I have never let it get down to the add mark.There is not much oil in these things to start with. My bike takes 2 quarts to fill after a complete oil change. I start by adding about 13/4 quarts, warm up real well and then add oil slowly till i reach the upper full mark. Those marks are right in relation to the dip stick.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #15904
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
6.3 is nothin .......mine holds that then i add bladder bags for a total of 12 gal

bladders hang over the side of the tank ...now thats some weight ....suspension is workin over time when fully loaded ...but i dont motorcroos the bike when she's got full weight on

on another front ..we are making some steal rear subframes ..made out of box steal ...better that globtotting subframes ..as we keep them box section same as stock and add gussets to give more strength ....
we test them out very soon

we need to carry 12 gl of fuel and 3 gal of water for our desert trip later this yr
And I complain about my 4.6 gallon full You're carrying more fuel than some cars hold
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #15905
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
Yoh Piney Those black marks on the steel oil tube are the correct upper full mark and lower add mark in relation to the dipstick. I have never let it get down to the add mark.There is not much oil in these things to start with. My bike takes 2 quarts to fill after a complete oil change. I start by adding about 13/4 quarts, warm up real well and then add oil slowly till i reach the upper full mark. Those marks are right in relation to the dip stick.
another 1/2 qt will prolly bring mine up to your level - I'll pop the Scott's off tomorrow and see what it takes to bring it up. Appreciate your advice.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #15906
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,108
have added a dc system to my bike .. no more ac pwr all runs dc
makes it easy to install heated grips lights gps and so forth here's the finish

a little house for the battery behind the fairing
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #15907
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
gunna take 1 set of clothes and throw them away each week and buy new stuff where i can
Let's see: jocks, socks, t-shirt.... yeah, sterling idea!!
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #15908
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
...hard going in desert
Watched the Australian Safari on telly last night....you have some awesome terrain! (And definitely XR650R natural habitat)

It must be a blast riding there.
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 AM   #15909
Sean-0
Closed

yes we have it all but out in the desert country is the best big open fast ..xrr's are at home ...mind you those pesky orange things haul some ass as well ......to fast for me at 200kph plus on the dirt

heres some vid uploaded from an inmate from the australian safari ...xr650r ...there a few of them good watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w3is9PSzhs

Sean-0 screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 03:17 AM
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #15910
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
have added a dc system to my bike .. no more ac pwr all runs dc
makes it easy to install heated grips lights gps and so forth here's the finish

a little house for the battery behind the fairing

Interesting little fuse block. Does it have a manufacture or part number?

I like it.

Looks like a clean install. Mine is a bit more basic with only two fuses to cut power to all accessories (headlight is singled out). We dont' have a ton of room on XRR's for wiring...
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #15911
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 382
Guys,

I just got a Nice XR650r and I want to get some new Springs for the Front and rear, does anyone sell a heavier spring then .49? I am 265 geared up and the bike is just begging for some help.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #15912
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson757 View Post
Guys,

I just got a Nice XR650r and I want to get some new Springs for the Front and rear, does anyone sell a heavier spring then .49? I am 265 geared up and the bike is just begging for some help.

Thanks
Not sure where you can source fork springs but the rear is available here in various kg's.
http://www.precisionconceptsracing.c.../prod_279.html
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #15913
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post

I almost always put 2 qts in , Its a science to get the tube to show the actual level , (just Idling never has worked for me) go out run it hard piss off the neighbors then you may see it rise to where it should be. Mine has never been where it should be after 1.7

ride4fun562 screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 03:13 PM
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #15914
Sean-0
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Interesting little fuse block. Does it have a manufacture or part number?

I like it.

Looks like a clean install. Mine is a bit more basic with only two fuses to cut power to all accessories (headlight is singled out). We dont' have a ton of room on XRR's for wiring...
just a generic made in china fuse block avaliable at auto parts store ..was like 10 bucks

to get a good looking clean wire setup ...is just time trial and error ...
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #15915
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
I almost always put 2 qts in , Its a science to get the tube to show the actual level , (just Idling never has worked for me) go out run it hard piss off the neighbors then you may see it rise to where it should be. Mine has never been where it should be after 1.7
Yeppers, 2 qts did the trick. Thanks!