User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #271
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
Rocket,

Do you have exposed support beams under the floor above the basement? Just attach ratchet straps to the handlebars and around the support beams and bingo you have a motorcycle lift. I had a really think nail in one of the support beans in my garage in MO and used that. Worked on the Tiger, XR605L, and my Ulysses
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #272
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Three questions for three cylinders

Drunk,

I do have open joists in my basement, and I could lag some bolts into and make up a gantry lift of sorts. I guess I am just kind of chicken to do that with such a big bike. I did it with my C70 passport, but that was with 1/4' braided nylon rope, and it only weighs 200 pounds. I guess I just need to get my head around it, especially now that my tires are here.

On another thought. I have the tiger in the basement, and I thought I would take the time for maintenance. I have all the plastics off, the tank and the airbox, and now the valve cover. I was going to check the valves, because I don't know if it was done at 6K or not. Change out the plugs, for the same reason. New coolant, same reason. New radiator cap, because I have the tank off, and I noticed a small leak coming from somewhere. I have a few questions. Am I asking for trouble if I put in Autolite Xtreme Sport Iridium spark plugs? I don't really care about the cost of them, there are after all only three, but if this can cause problems then count me out. The second question is, should I just clean the stock air filter, or is a K&N type filter a better choice? The bike has 7300 miles on it, and the air filter is still pretty clean. Is there any value in an aftermarket type? Does UNI make a replacement for the tiger? As much time as it takes to get at it, like the plugs, I don't want to have to dive into there anytime soon. Then, number three, I read about some airbox mod, is this worthwhile? What is involved? I saw some pictures, but never understood what was different, or what was done. I already have the TOR pipe with the off road tune. Do they make a heavier spring for the rear shock? Can you get heavy duty tubes for the tiger sized tires? I'm going to give the valves a check then.

Tyler
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #273
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
Drunk,

On another thought. I have the tiger in the basement, and I thought I would take the time for maintenance. I have all the plastics off, the tank and the airbox, and now the valve cover. I was going to check the valves, because I don't know if it was done at 6K or not. Change out the plugs, for the same reason. New coolant, same reason. New radiator cap, because I have the tank off, and I noticed a small leak coming from somewhere. I have a few questions. Am I asking for trouble if I put in Autolite Xtreme Sport Iridium spark plugs? I don't really care about the cost of them, there are after all only three, but if this can cause problems then count me out. The second question is, should I just clean the stock air filter, or is a K&N type filter a better choice? The bike has 7300 miles on it, and the air filter is still pretty clean. Is there any value in an aftermarket type? Does UNI make a replacement for the tiger? As much time as it takes to get at it, like the plugs, I don't want to have to dive into there anytime soon. Then, number three, I read about some airbox mod, is this worthwhile? What is involved? I saw some pictures, but never understood what was different, or what was done. I already have the TOR pipe with the off road tune. Do they make a heavier spring for the rear shock? Can you get heavy duty tubes for the tiger sized tires? I'm going to give the valves a check then.

Tyler
TIGERTRIPLE.COM.....ALL TIGERS ALL THE TIME
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #274
Sir. Waffles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Hatley,

I'll try to answer a most of your questions, but you should really hit up tigertriple.com you should be able to find most of your answers there in the Girlie Wisdom and how to thread.

Girlie Wisdom
Part Cross Reference

As for plugs I would run NKG Iridium. It's what the bike calls for and the consensus of what most uses. Plugs are not something I like to experiment with I've had issues with non-AC Delco plugs in GM before.

Air filter I feel is a matter of opinion, the one from Triumph is 40$. The K&N is about the same but reusable same with the UNI (PN# NU-3007) which I is slightly less in cost. The benefits from the K&N besides cost, is performance(I use that term lightly) but in my opinion they don't filter as much allowing them to pass more air. So I run the stock for dusty gravel roads and because I was to lazy to try the UNI. Overall I feel 40$ every 12,000 miles isn't to bad still a ripoff but motorcycles are expensive.

Air box Mod, I'm in the same boat you. Essentially I think it just allows more air to pass though the box but not 100% on that. I mean if its not broke, don't fix it?

Also if my memory serves me right there is pretty much no modification you can do to rear shock besides replace it ($$$$). Maybe just increase the preload?

Heavy tubes I've been told are bad on big bikes at high speeds something about heat and etc.

500~lb Tiger doing front and rear one at a time is about 250lb......Redneck logic says Do It.

Best info I can give ya is how many miles do you plan to ride this season. Major service is at 12,000 miles and most of the things you are asking about happen then. If you only ride about 5,000 miles a year do it this coming winter. If you ride more or would rather get it done for peace of mind change the plugs to Iridium NKGs and check every thing else. Something that probably really needs done is a coolant change. I don't know the year but it probably been 5 years (the book calls for 2), old coolant becomes acidic. Also brake fluid needs flushed every few years as it collects water and things rust. Spent it where it counts on the road.

My two cents at least, others feel free to correct me. Also Mustang knows his stuff.
Sir. Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #275
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 429
Tiger 955 tank

Seriously considering a 955. Are the tanks painted? They are plastic right? But they look professionally painted on metal.

If they are plastic can they be painted?

Thanks,

Boulder
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #276
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Seriously considering a 955. Are the tanks painted? They are plastic right? But they look professionally painted on metal.

If they are plastic can they be painted?

Thanks,

Boulder
Ye,s the tanks are plastic and they can be painted.
Photo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #277
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

They are plastic ,
They are painted
the paint can and usually does bubble up as the bikes get older .
This is due to gas fumes leeching thru the plastic .
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #278
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Generally its just the decals that bubble. I have an 06 with only that issue and an 06 Sprint ST 1050 I bought new that has no bubbling. Well I shipped it up here to Alasak there wasn't any. Its been under a cover in the garage since it got here in June. Been riding the Tiger.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #279
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Generally its just the decals that bubble.
starts with the decals ......... and as they get older the paint joins the party ...................not all do it .
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #280
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Another Triumph noob question

Thank you gentlemen for the reply concerning painting the plastic tank.

Now I am really digging this 2002 Tiger 955 for sale but it is more than 500 miles away and I cant do a fly and ride due to weather alone. Really icy snow roads. it is a 2002 black 3,850 miles on her for $4,900.00 w/panniers tall screen and a corbin seat.
and this is the Closest one to my home that is for sale.

The only other option I have within this category style of bikes is a 2001 1150 BMW with 38k miles Jesse panniers and engine protectors. For $6,500.00.

Yes there is some KTM's around but i need reliability. My pockets aren't that deep for the katooms.

Yes i will be going off-road exploring and 500 mile tarmac trips. Allot of 2 up.

I could try a fly and ride when the weather gets better but not sure if bike will be gone before then.

My question is what do you feel is the better bike from the 955 VS the BMW GS 2001/2002?

Boulder
P.S.
So is this thread considered the official Triumph tiger 955 and maybe 1050 tiger thread? I know it didn't start out that way but it looks like it is turning into it. I don't see an official Triumph Tiger 955 thread.

bouldertag screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 01:39 PM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #281
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Tiger 955i and 1050 are two different cats. This thread is for the 955i. 1050 has a 17" front wheel and is more street oriented. Probably has less suspension travel, although I;m not certain about that. 955i is more in the big trailie category, especially the earlier years that came with longer travel suspension and spoke wheels.

1150GS and 955i have very different motors. You really need to ride them both and see which one appeals to you. I had a 2001 1150GS for a short time and liked the motor, but it had zero farkles, and by the time I added up the costs to outfit it, it was in 1200GS territory. The biggest cost was the shocks. The suspension on mine was very harsh - it had low miles too, less than 10k. Quality shock f & r were in the $1800 range. 01 was a good year for those bikes however.

Of course, if you ask this question in the GS forum, you will get raves on the GS...

My 06 Tiger - last year of the 955i - has been a great bike. I really like it for backroad adventures and some mild off-road riding. Never ride 2up.

have fun shopping

BTW, my buddy is selling his 06 Tiger. You won't find a cleaner, better running example. It is currently listed in the Flea Market.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #282
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Wut he said. All these ? Have been answered hundreds of times. As in you almost certainly do not need to check valves and on tiger triple you will learn about those pesky tank fuel disconnects.

Edit-the 3,800 mile bike sounds like a great value, you will not be disappointed. Tigers are great two up.
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #283
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Cry 955

Right, I just cant believe i have been overlooking this bike all this time.

I have been looking at your buddys bike also. Very nice. About the same distance away.

bd
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #284
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

I am buying an 03. I have an 06 which came with the upgraded metal fuel connections. Does the 03 have the plastic ones? The suspension travel longer on an 03 with wire wheels than the 06?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #285
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I am buying an 03. I have an 06 which came with the upgraded metal fuel connections. Does the 03 have the plastic ones? The suspension travel longer on an 03 with wire wheels than the 06?
not only that but a different rake and trail geometry also . more dirt road or trail friendly
IIRC the 03's still had plastic FUEL connectors