Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
The wr450f weighs the same as a 450exc.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #182
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,788
Guys, please keep it civil and about the bikes in this forum.

No one wants to read posts with f-bombs and insults here in the Thumpers forum.

If you can't manage to be civil and follow the forum rules, I can help.

Thanks
CA Stu
Thumpers Mod

PS You want to talk trash on each other? Take it to Jo Momma and go nuts.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #183
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

GB , what area you in?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #184
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
GB , what area you in?
Currently down near Miami. No more good riding down here thanks to developers. I trek north any chance I get.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #185
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I'm from FL and I have to say that right there is a bit of dumb sentiment.
Different kind of technical down there. No rock bashing, no crazy several hundred foot drop offs or nightmare steep trails covered with softball size rocks. Same tight trees through. Did I mention no rocks?

But the trails down there are damn hard for sure. Axle deep energy sapping sand and mud full of roots and stumps, bushes that bite and red clay that is as slick as greased ice when wet.

Down south brush, briars and trees rather than rocks tear you up and zero traction wears out rather than terrifying drop offs and impossible climbs. And ditches. And mud. And ......

I have had the misfortune of experiencing both types. All I can say for Florida is it usually didn't hurt as bad when I crashed. Unless it was into a tree or yucca bush. Thought I would bleed to death from one of those yuccas.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #186
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
I'm from FL and I have to say that right there is a bit of dumb sentiment.
My apologies to the true riders in Florida. But you have to admit, when you think of Florida, you think....flat.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #187
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

I lived in Miami also . Coral rock and green clay. When the clay is wet and churned up its mush , when its packed and wet its like ice , but when its dry its like powder .
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #188
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Different kind of technical down there. No rock bashing, no crazy several hundred foot drop offs or nightmare steep trails covered with softball size rocks. Same tight trees through. Did I mention no rocks?

But the trails down there are damn hard for sure. Axle deep energy sapping sand and mud full of roots and stumps, bushes that bite and red clay that is as slick as greased ice when wet.

Down south brush, briars and trees rather than rocks tear you up and zero traction wears out rather than terrifying drop offs and impossible climbs. And ditches. And mud. And ......

I have had the misfortune of experiencing both types. All I can say for Florida is it usually didn't hurt as bad when I crashed. Unless it was into a tree or yucca bush. Thought I would bleed to death from one of those yuccas.

Just thought it was a bit naive to state that one rider is better or more experienced than another due to geographic region.

Really depends upon where you are at. FL has very diverse terrain. Everything from gnarly rock strewn loose over hard to deep sugar sand and hidden Cypress knees. We also have palmetto scrub , cacti, lots of vines and areas covered in limestone boulders that like to hide until you fall onto one. We also have some areas with pretty good (for FL) elevation change. They tend to be sketchy as many were some type of mine at some point. The saw-grass is fun too! And yes, those yucca plants are no joke.

*EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
My apologies to the true riders in Florida. But you have to admit, when you think of Florida, you think....flat.
True but that does not equate to a lack in technical riding. The FL on TV isn't the FL I grew up in. It's cool though man and glad you cleared it up.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #189
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Saw grass, spartina grass and yucca plants. All good stuff. But I forgot to mention quick sand. Just like the cheesy B movies.

To be honest, I don't know which kicks my ass worse. The exhausting hell of coastal riding or the endless pounding up here in rocks and mountains. But I have had road rash from crashing on the beach and from crashing on rocks. So I have equal opportunity scars.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 01:37 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #190
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Saw grass, spartina grass and yucca plants. All good stuff. But I forgot to mention quick sand. Just like the cheesy B movies.

To be honest, I don't know which kicks my ass worse. The exhausting hell of coastal riding or the endless pounding up here in rocks and mountains. But I have had road rash from crashing on the beach and from crashing on rocks. So I have equal opportunity scars.

I can hear the cackling of the monkeys in the background!! Yeah, not sure which I like less...Hitting rocks that I can see while I am falling but still don't have time to tuck and roll away from or running into a tree stump that is just deep enough under the sugar sand that you don't notice it until it smacks you in the ribs.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #191
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Guys, please keep it civil and about the bikes in this forum.

No one wants to read posts with f-bombs and insults here in the Thumpers forum.

If you can't manage to be civil and follow the forum rules, I can help.

Thanks
CA Stu
Thumpers Mod

PS You want to talk trash on each other? Take it to Jo Momma and go nuts.
I've just about had it with this kinda crap in Thumpers.. it ruins the discussion and always seems to turn into dick waving about the merits of your bike while denigrating others' choice of bike..

Keep it civil and keep the F-bombs for the basement. And remember, high maintenance inmates get the boot. We're not here to babysit any one inmate.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #192
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I can hear the cackling of the monkeys in the background!! Yeah, not sure which I like less...Hitting rocks that I can see while I am falling but still don't have time to tuck and roll away from or running into a tree stump that is just deep enough under the sugar sand that you don't notice it until it smacks you in the ribs.
One of the guys in that pic got thrown down in a sugar sand swamp and broke a couple of ribs on a stump. Sand usually hurts a lot less in a crash. But what is in the sand .... not so much. Same guy broke his ankle in the same swamp a couple of years ago in one of those bottomless log skidder ruts at like zero miles per hour.

The flip side is a flat lander like me goes to the mountains the frist time and tries turning with the foot out fan the clutch "style" learned down south in sand. That was a painful lesson about rocks and toes. I have learned to switch back and forth between riding styles when I haul the bike back to the SC Sea Islands.

I can ride rocks now. No veteran of like ten Shenandoah 500's is going to be shy about rocks. But I am still a flat lander at heart. Still not sure which is harder on the bike though: rock rash or salt mud.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #193
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
One of the guys in that pic got thrown down in a sugar sand swamp and broke a couple of ribs on a stump. Sand usually hurts a lot less in a crash. But what is in the sand .... not so much. Same guy broke his ankle in the same swamp a couple of years ago in one of those bottomless log skidder ruts at like zero miles per hour.
Going from forty to nothing flat in zero feet is no fun!!

Quote:
The flip side is a flat lander like me goes to the mountains the frist time and tries turning with the foot out fan the clutch "style" learned down south in sand. That was a painful lesson about rocks and toes. I have learned to switch back and forth between riding styles when I haul the bike back to the SC Sea Islands.
I thought it was just me. I did that on one of my first rides in NC. Felt like that buck you get trying to kick start an old air cooled open class two smoke!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #194
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
The wr450f weighs the same as a 450exc.
I think the point is, a WR450 R wouldn't.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #195
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I think the point is, a WR450 R wouldn't.
CRF250R - 227 lbs
CRF250X - 254 = 227+27
CRF250L - 320 = 254+66

YZ250F - 227
WR250F - 254 = 227+27
WR250R - 295 = 254+41

YZ450F - 245
WR450F - 273 = 245+28
WR450R - Not under 300. No way no how.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote