Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #76
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
I'd like to research more on a diesel swap. I'm sure ill be ready for a new motor In a year or so. 10 mpg is going to be bad but luckily it wo t be a daily driver.
it's been done before... someone makes a GM to toyota tranny adapter for V-8 engine swaps.

Cummins are made to go into most anything, an adapter for GM is not much a stretch for Cummins . 6BT is what's in my 12 Cummins 2500 dodge. too heavy for FJ60 .. front end would need to be beefed up, sag too bad.

4BT is a 4cylinder instead of 6, much lighter... no lack of HP even wth 4BT.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #77
rockland213
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
68 cruiser

rockland213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #78
rockland213
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
68 cruiser

This is my 68 on a 84 frame streched 12'' with a Cummins 4BT
rockland213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #79
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
it's been done before... someone makes a GM to toyota tranny adapter for V-8 engine swaps.

Cummins are made to go into most anything, an adapter for GM is not much a stretch for Cummins . 6BT is what's in my 12 Cummins 2500 dodge. too heavy for FJ60 .. front end would need to be beefed up, sag too bad.

4BT is a 4cylinder instead of 6, much lighter... no lack of HP even wth 4BT.
The 4BT is around 700 pounds, depending on how you dress it up. If I remember correctly, that is about what a fully dressed 454 big block weighs. That is about what the 2F weighs in the FJ60.

So, for weight...

4BT = 454 = 2F
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #80
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,437
One of the most popular diesel options has been the Cummins 4BT conversion. The 4BT makes a mild 105 hp but a whopping 265 ft/lbs of torque and even at this stock rating, this diesel powers even a large, sprung over or tall 80-series Land Cruiser wagons with larger tires very well. That said, with the simple turn of some screws, it can easily make over 160 hp and over 400 ft/lbs of torque, and deliver just as much power as the early Dodge Cummins 6 cyl pickup-truck diesels, but with some loss of mileage and some slightly increased noise. Quoting Enzo Ferrari, "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." This 4 cyl engine delivers more torque than most V8s and this engine will literally idle over anything, which also reduces the need for deep gearing for trucks that are offroaded.

In most cases, at least 4" of lift is required to fit the engine in as it is deep. A five speed manual or overdrive-automatic transmission is required to achieve highway speeds and maximum fuel economy for street driven rigs. Approximate fuel mileage is in the mid to low 20s (though we have had some reports of as high as 27 mpg when driven cautiously and/or on rigs with 33" tires or smaller). Many aftermarket upgrades are also available for this engine as they use many of the same parts as the Dodge Cummins 6 cyl engines of the same era.

This is a 4 cylinder, direct-injected turbo diesel. At their stock rating, they produces about the same amount of noise as a "generation 1" Dodge Cummins (1989-1993 with the early body style), which is noticable but not massivly overbearing like many of the later Dodges. We do recommend some noise provisions (good weather stripping and/or soundproofing) for any rig that will be daily-style driven. Most 4BT's come from Frito-Lay-type P30 bread vans that were converted from gasoline to diesel sometime in the late 80's or early 90's by Cummins under their "Cummins Repower Program." There are no other major sources for these engines other than industrial stationary or tractor applications and these will not work in an automotive application. http://www.shoumatoff.com/~jeremiah/...ins/index.html

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #81
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,136
For those considering this swap, you may want to check out this link. At the bottom, they talk about the 4BT. I know this is for the Jeep, but maybe it applies? I was researching this for my Willys pickup.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...r/viewall.html

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #82
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
For those considering this swap, you may want to check out this link. At the bottom, they talk about the 4BT. I know this is for the Jeep, but maybe it applies? I was researching this for my Willys pickup.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...r/viewall.html
My coworker has a 4BT powered CJ7 Jeep. Its unique, but very obnoxious.
I'll have to send him this link
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #83
Red J
Adventureless.

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post
This one has awesome patina!

If I owned this one, I'd freshen up the entire drive line, but would NOT consider re-spraying it.

At most it would get a clear coat or linseed treatment.

:cheers:

Well, it may have good patina but it's a bitch to live with, esp. when you drive it in the winter. Last time I did that, I had a small snowdrift on the dash.

Right now the frame is sitting on jackstands but pretty in black and awaiting axle overhaul. Upon which time I will install those axles with new OME suspension kit. Motor is fresh from cover to pan, trans/xfr resealed and installed with o-hauled driveshafts.

At which point I will be out of money and you'll get some of your wish whereupon the body will go back on, looking much as it did before.

The bodywork will come another day. Rear sill is toast and the doors are not far behind, but the cost to fix it all is not in the budget. Someday...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #84
drwest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Hey Duke,

anytime you want to twist some wrenches on a fj40, I am just down the road in Hygiene. I have a 76 fj40 restore in process with a Cummins 4bt conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
some sweet LCs in here!

I saw 2 really clean FJ40s riding around near Estes Park yesterday. Until moving here I didn't even know they existed without rust! Someday I'd love to have a nice FJ40 or 45 pick up, they just have a huge coolness factor.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/03...45-pickup.html
drwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #85
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Great thread. I have a late friend who had one of those in the '70's. It would go anywhere. Great memories.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #86
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,154
I will take a Hardtop, Vinyl Top and a Wagon. It would be a smidge above $10K.

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #87
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red J View Post
Please move aside...

I don't know... here are the pictures I promised. The first two pics are a '73 soft top, 3 on the floor, with the PTO winch option, the tub is pretty much gone. The floor looks like swiss cheese, and the tailgate is almost non existant. The third is a '70 hard top with a 3 on the tree, vaccum operated front drive option. The hard top is pretty rotten, the flip up half of the hatch is going to fall off soon. Yes, I know the grill is upside down... Both were farm trucks, so relatively low mile, but very hard miles. They're project trucks, just waiting for the right time...

Old 02-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #88
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,352
My cruiser is getting closer to being on the road.

Been trying to find out what the largest tires I can put on are with the stock suspension?
Thinking about BFG ATs 31 x 9.5 but not sure of the fit.
235 75 15s on there now.
The Toyota forums are deep to navigate as most people have gone with 33s and lifts.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #89
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,087
Reformed and former Cruiser-head of ill-repute. I still dream occasionally. Had two '79 FJ's oh so many moons ago. Traded 'em in for ATV's. Great thread! Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #90
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,241
I get to use a bunch of LCs at work. Unkillable.

Barnstormer is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: