Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #91
Luke_Warmwater
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I posted early in this thread with a negative first impression. I had a chance to sit on one and talk with a rep at the Seattle Motorcycle Show. The bike feels good. I liked the S/ST. With an almost 2" longer wheel base, this bike will be very stable, with even less drama than the previous bikes. I would actually drop the bars 2", but most will love the upright riding position. Everything else about the bike felt really good, and I especially like the new nose on the fairing, with assymetric headlights far back behind a new single lense.

At 90 hp and with a new (but still not adequate for its price) suspension, it was drawing a lot of attention. Many (over a dozen) of the men who were closely examining the bike were looking at it as a new bike for their wives. I think that this will be a major sub-market for the bike in the USA.

The original S/ST was released a year earlier in Europe than in the US. The engines had teething problems. The balancers were wrong and there were a few other issues. No engines "blew up" once the bike was here in 2007, but from 2009 onwards, the motor were much, much better. The current F800R is selling in steady, if small, numbers.

I agree that a selling point is light weight for this class of machine. I also agree that it is a terrible value new - with a very low-end suspension and a price point that puts it against much more sophisticated machines, only those who don't care about cost will jump in to buy what for them (or their wives) is the "right" bike.

I'm all for smaller and lighter, and I'll pay for high-spec components on a smaller displacement machine, but this goes in the other direction. If someone else upgrades the suspension, I might consider it used at 65% of the new price.
New to the forum. Hello all.

Was reading this thread as I am currently wheeling and dealing on a F800GT at my local dealer. Bike is in the Toronto warehouse and is scheduled to arrive at the dealer before the end of this month. Bike is valencia orange. All Canadian models come standard with ABS and heated hand grips. The bike has the safety package, consisting of ESA, ASC and TPMS. It also has the comfort package, which includes the centre stand, on board computer and luggage mounts. We will also be ordering side cases and a top case for the bike.

This bike will be for my wife, who is 5'6". We are ordering the bike with the low (30.9") seat. I quoted the previous post as I completely agree that this bike will appeal to female riders and those men of shorter stature. We do alot of touring and there is a real gap in the Canadian market when it comes to smaller, lighter touring bikes, especially those with ABS.

More and more women are getting into riding. In my opinion, the industry (BMW excluded), needs to do more to meet the demands of female riders that want a proper touring bike.
Luke_Warmwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #92
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
I think the numbers bode well for anyone looking for efficiency and light(er) weight in a "real world" bike, except for the price. Even there, I'd pay it if the suspension was high quality and if the maintenance was reasonable, cost and time-wise. I still have my eyes open for this model. It could very well be the new "right bike" for me. Total story, though, the odds are against it. We'll see.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #93
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
I can't, for the life of me, understand why everyone says it's a "women's" bike... Why would a lightweight, mid-displacement tourer be a women's bike? I, for one, wouldn't shy away from it, no matter what it's percieved as
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #94
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Cause this is 'Murcia. Real men ride Big bikes

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #95
Luke_Warmwater
n00b

Well, it's a done deal. The sticking point was the trade in value on my wife's Suzuki Bandit. I have some numbers for those of you that are interested.....

MSRP price for F800GT built to Canadian specs with ABS and heated hand grips: $13,200.00 CDN.

MSRP for bike as equipped with comfort and safety packages: $15,365.00 CDN (This includes freight/PDI/Documentation Fee and fresh mountain air in the tires)

MSRP for side cases is $432.05 per case for a total of $864.10 CDN (c/w keyed alike lock cylinders)

MSRP for 18 litre top case is $454.12 CDN (c/w keyed alike lock cylinder)

I was able to negotiate discounts on these figures. In the end, with the trade in, it was less than I thought it would be. Look forwarding to taking delivery of it at the end of this month. I might have to order a tall seat so that I can ride it too! Sadly, with my height and girth, the image of an elephant on a tricycle comes to mind.

:
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #96
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
I'd be interested in hearing a thorough, informed review when that time comes. If you'd be so kind, of course. I always like to hear it "straight from the horse's mouth." Whomever the horse may be...

Congrats.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #97
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
i'd be interested in hearing a thorough, informed review when that time comes. If you'd be so kind, of course. I always like to hear it "straight from the horse's mouth." whomever the horse may be...

Congrats.
+1

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #98
Luke_Warmwater
n00b

Will do. Hope to have the bike in the first or second week of February. Warehouse in Toronto won't release any of the F800GTs to dealers until January 31st. Then the bike has to make it's way over to the west coast where I live.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #99
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,619
How about that new F800 GT?

Looks interesting, huh?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #100
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,363
I was disapointed...........And deck it out and your at 15 big ones

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #101
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,891
Here ya go.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841066

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #102
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,798
Been bugging me, I was trying to think where I'd seen that fairing before.

Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #103
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #104
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,891
The new Moto Goosey Road King looks interesting, huh?

n00bs.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #105
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

I think BMW's pricing strategy is very obviously European centric. When I spent time over there, I'd notice that bikes were priced based on their performance (horsepower), essentially.

Therefore bikes like the Honda ST1300 and the Yamaha FJR were priced much higher, relative to the BMW R1200RT for example, than they were over here.

So BMW probably figures "$13k for a BMW with 90+ HP? Sure!"

The U.S. market is not gonna like that price, particularly if we have to shell out extra for heated grips and the centerstand, not to mention expensive luggage.

Let's see what our market thinks...