Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #76
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,739
sales@motorcycleparts2u.com

This is the email address of the company I am dealing with

I hope it is correct LukasM... Fingers crossed hey.

I asked for confirmation it fits the 950 and he checked with Galfer apparently. Galfer also asked if I wanted one or two sets, being the 950 has twin front disc... So that sounds positive.

Joe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #77
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,739
sadly Lukas was right

dead right mate, it was a 650/625 kit, not what was promised and I checked and double checked before ordering..

back to work LukasM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Somehow I have a feeling that this is not what they say it is... Hope to be proven wrong though as it would save us a lot of work!

I'll wait with further trial fitting etc until we hear back from Joe.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #78
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Bugger, that kit sounded ideal.

So what is the difference in the adaptor? Is it something which can be modified or just too much work?
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #79
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,435
Oh my god. I think I figured this out.

I ordered a Braking brand 320mm disc adaptor from Amazon (link below). i was going to modify it like I did on my last 950 to make the post spacing correct and guess what? It fit!

Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/Braking-320mm-...=braking+pow94

Now it is taking a little bit of work, so let me tell you what I did.

The stock SE or ADV caliper bracket has a small approx. 5 mm post screwd into it for the lower caliper sliding mount. When you buy any new caliper bracket, they don't come with this post so you have to take the post off of your stock caliper bracket and screw it into the new bracket. In this case, the new Braking bracket came with a larger approx. 10mm post screwed into it. So, I removed the larger post and screwed in my stock smaller post. perfect fit.

Next, the stock caliper has the 5mm upper locating post screwed into it (so in other words there are 2 posts, one stays in the caliper and one stays in the bracket), but the upper locating hole in the new caliper bracket is about 10mm. Hmm, what did I do with that 10mm post I just took out... there it is! Screw it into the stock caliper, and perfect fit into the new bracket. The new upper bracket hole has an o-ring inside of it for keeping dirt out, so getting the post to slide in the first time was hard, but I pushed it in by hand and have now removed and replaced the caliper on and off the bracket by hand 10 times or more. It slides perfectly.

Here is a picture of the caliper on the bracket, with the bracket mounted on the bike. This is a 300mm disc, but you can see in the pic that there is plenty of room to go up to the 320mm disc!
http://173.74.246.28/ktmtalk/photoga...bers/rotor.JPG
[IMG][/IMG]

Now then, that all sounds great, so what's the catch? Well, the stock 950 brake pads don't fit. There are a couple of reasons. First of all the stock barke pads are taller in the one side mount than the slot in the new caliper bracket. So I milled down the pad just as I used to do on my old 950. Here is a pic showing some old pads I was practicing on. One has been modified, one has not. I did it with a file in about 60 seconds. Shitty pic but you can see what I did.

http://173.74.246.28/ktmtalk/photoga...mbers/pads.JPG
[IMG][/IMG]

Next though, the stock pads are also too short, as seen in this picture, where they just barely bite in the caliper slot. This will not do. But I believe I have found a solution! The stock pad from a Honda ST1100 is longer! But a little too long.... the stock pad is 108.5mm long. The new set-up needs a pad about 112mm long. The ST1100 pad is 115mm long. So it will need to be filed 3mm shorter in length. I can do that. But the ST1100 pad also looks like it will NOT need to have the nubs filed off that I was doing on the stock 950 pad, so that is good. Everything else about the pad is the same. Height, thickness (the ST1100 pas is actually .1mm thinner, so shoot me) and arc of the pad is the same. I will be ordering some from my local shop tomorrow.

Also in this pic you can see the end of the stock 5mm post I screwed into the bracket (right side of the photo, right at the caliper mid-point) and you can see right into the end of the 10mm post and the 10mm upper sliding hole on the caliper bracket. You can also see the Braking part number POW94L stamped on the bracket.
http://173.74.246.28/ktmtalk/photoga.../short_pad.JPG
[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry, but my pictures I have hosted over at KTMtalk won't post, so here are the links. Hopefully you are members so you can view them and I'll keep trying.
But essentially, if you have a hand file, this is a bolt on job for the 950 and 990! That's good news, right?

EDIT- I have only done this on my 950 SE, but the stock brake pad and stock caliper bracket part numbers for the SE, 950 ADV and 990 ADV are all the same, so I am assuming it will work for all.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50

brents347 screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 11:17 PM
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #80
R&R4adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Interested in seeing it all mounted with a 320 disk, what disk from what model did you use?
04 950 Adventure 03 640 Adventure 99 XR400

R&R4adv screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 03:22 AM
R&R4adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #81
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reollc4 View Post
Interested in seeing it all mounted with a 320 disk, what disk from what model did you use?
I have a couple of different ones for different wheels. One I have is off my 660 rally bike, and one I had custom cut as a 320mm disc with the center spacing/bolt pattern to match my SM mag wheels.

I'll get a 320 mounted up today or tomorrow and post pics. Also, as soon as my ST1100 pads arrive (tomorrow) I will post pics of the modification required.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #82
Johnf3 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
I have a couple of different ones for different wheels. One I have is off my 660 rally bike, and one I had custom cut as a 320mm disc with the center spacing/bolt pattern to match my SM mag wheels.

I'll get a 320 mounted up today or tomorrow and post pics. Also, as soon as my ST1100 pads arrive (tomorrow) I will post pics of the modification required.
Good work. I wonder if there is a pad that will fit the caliper without any filing needed. I'll order one up too as long as you can get the ST pads to go in.

I think the front rotor bolt patterns for the KTMs are mostly all the same, so most any 320mm disc should work.
Johnf3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #83
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post

MORE PHOTOS ON THE COMPLETE STUFF!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #84
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So here's a few photos of the brake with a 320mm disc mounted.

And looking for the ST1100 brake pads today, I have some news. I can find the pads on e-bay, but nowhere else. I want a simple pad that I can find easy just about anywhere, so I went hunting again. It turns out the pad from VFR800 is exactly the same, it is just .6mm thicker. I was concerned about this because the pads willbe a total of 1.2mm thicker now, but looking at my caliper tonight it looks like i have plenty of room for a slightly thicker pad. I have some coming and they should be here tomorrow.
I'll keep you posted as it comes together.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #85
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Eek

So here's the latest from today.

I spent some time working on how well the front wheel free spins. With no brakes on, it spins about 14 times with one good pull. With the caliper on, it only spun about 1 1/2 turns. I have always been big on havng a bike tht freewheels well, so then I spent some time figuring out why the wheel didn't spin more.

After much experimenting, I found 2 things. One, the caliper sliding pins are not mounted perfectly straight so by turning one pin 1/2 turn out and the other 3/4 turn out, I got it spinning better. Secondly, I found that the caliper, when mounted to the caliper bracket, was not hanging perfectly straight so there was alays a slight brake pad drag on the rotor after pulling the brake lever. I fixed this by shimming the caliper slightly on the bracket. The bottom caliper bolt needed a slight shim. Now it spins 4 full turns with one pull just after having pulled the brake lever. I am very happy with this. I haven't figured out how to do the shimming permanently, but I will work on it.

I should have the brake pads tomorrow.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #86
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Also today I got my new front wheel built. It is a Talon hub with bearings and seals, mounted (by Woody) to a new 1.6" excel wheel and I'm running a new Dunlop 606 with a Tubliss system. The total wheel with the 320mm rotor was 3.4lbs. lighter than my stock wheel running a Super Scor and tube and a 300mm rotor. Not a bad reduction in unsprung weight off the front wheel!

Next I started to mount up my new set of SM mag wheels to the bike. With the 320mm rotor I had made for these wheels I can just BARELY get the caliper back on. It barely fits between the rotor and the outside of the rim. But it fits! Now I need to have some custom spacers made for both sets of wheels.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #87
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Well I am happy to say I was able to make it work. Here's a couple details of the pads.

First pic is a new set of 950 SE pads, a set of the VFR 800 pads, and one of my old, modified SE pads.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then this one is the new pads with the old SE pads laid on top for comparison.
[IMG][/IMG]

This one shows the pads installed in my caliper after having the ends filed down about 3mm.
[IMG][/IMG]

And here is the finished product. I haven't ridden it yet because there is no back half installed on the motorcycle, but I'm really happy with how it came out.
[IMG][/IMG]

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #88
jimmibanke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Hi

I havent read the entire post, but this works just fine for me, i can block the front even with heavy load so the power is there... And the control is okay. Its a cheap fix, around 50$ in total.

I have removed one caliper, and mounted a new wave disc, nothing more. Cheers:)

jimmibanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #89
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmibanke View Post
Hi

I havent read the entire post, but this works just fine for me, i can block the front even with heavy load so the power is there... And the control is okay. Its a cheap fix, around 50$ in total.

I have removed one caliper, and mounted a new wave disc, nothing more. Cheers:)

Hi,

What dick is that? How much does it cost? What are the $50 for? It can't be the disck?

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #90
jimmibanke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
Hi,

What dick is that? How much does it cost? What are the $50 for? It can't be the disck?

Nic
I got the disc from ebay, slightly used but nothing to see on it, i was lucky, but you can buy a new galfer wave disc on ebay for around 120 in germany or england. Cheers
jimmibanke is offline   Reply With Quote