Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #556
eSTes1300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
CampWhere app

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Ahhhh, I needed this relaxing stuff!
Today the library was open, and I ran almost out of food, so it warranted a trip to civilization for a few hours.
here are some pics of the roads in the National forest.

I've been hitting sandy patches and starting to feel just an iota's worth less nervous.
What gets me is trying to take my weight off the front and leaning back, but doing this is hard because then I can't barely hold onto the handlebars. Think my arms are too short!

Splurged on a fantastic greek salad at the Bistro in Sopchoppy

Sunset at the campsite

Sunday morning was heaven! Sat in the sun warming up, had a nice cup of coffee, listening to Debussy on my phone, and knitting a cowl for my friend Carol who keeps asking me to knit stuff for her, and pays me too
I know it seems rather incongruous, a motorcycle riding, camping in the wild and knitting woman, but I consider myself well-rounded!

My new vice! yeah..........

There is something about tree bark, it's just beautiful!

Yep, still me! Just thought I should show my goofy face once in a while.

Tomorrow I am planning on riding to Jacksonville. I know it's the other way, but I have a friend whom I met on the road near Yosemite, Sharon, she was riding on her own too across the country.
I knew she lived somewhere in Florida, but just found out today where. Luckily it's only about 4 hours from here, so it's worth backtracking a little to say hi.
On your smart get the Campwhere app and your campground problems will be over. $5 and it gives full info on 10k public campgrounds in US and Canada. Links to website, reservations and phone. Many BLM camps are free. No more searching and asking locals who have no idea about camping. Plus, the app maps are incredible, the whole world is on it.
eSTes1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #557
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Hey Raisinets are AWESOME !!!!!!!
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #558
nanohiccup
in time

Oddometer: 805
Wish you a nice time chillin in Desoto NF. Spotty cell service there abouts.
nanohiccup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #559
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSTes1300 View Post
On your smart get the Campwhere app and your campground problems will be over. $5 and it gives full info on 10k public campgrounds in US and Canada. Links to website, reservations and phone. Many BLM camps are free. No more searching and asking locals who have no idea about camping. Plus, the app maps are incredible, the whole world is on it.
+1...recently got the 'Camp Finder' app for an upcoming trip west. Amazing amount of information. Also, the U.S. National Park Service offers a lifetime pass for national parks and federal recreation lands to folks 62 and over for only $10.00. In addition to admittance, some parks also give a discount to visitors who have this pass. My campsite in Grand Teton NP was only $3.00/day.

CharlestonADV screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:38 PM
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #560
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,042
Jason rode with me to De Soto National forest, taking all the backroads!
Still need to download pics, but will post some he sent me.

On my way there about 200 yards from camp, my chain came off the sprocket!

Hanging in De Soto National forest for a few days.
It stormed and rained all night and morning, but stayed nice and dry.
I totally forgot to check my email yesterday when I stopped in wiggins for some supplies, so I ventured out in bad weather hoping to find some good news regarding GoalZero and the roadshow in Pharr Texas.
Somehow they never seem to get or read my emails, it's very frustrating waiting for an answer only to find out they never got your email. At this rate I might never get to do a roadshow!
Wonder if the universe is trying to tell me something!
Lying in the tent in the rain was very soothing, slept like a baby and enjoyed the sound of the drip, drops. If all life could be that peaceful!
Will post pics once I get to sk8rdi16's place. Thinking I might leave tomorrow or the day after.
Time to change my oil again!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #561
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,736
>"On my way there about 200 yards from camp, my chain came off the sprocket!"

Any notion why? Was it loose, sprockets/chain worn, mis-alignment?
Chains coming off sprockets are bad-juju.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #562
nanohiccup
in time

Oddometer: 805
This lady is slap full of positive ju-ju. She had it fixed pronto. Chain looked fine/ok and sprokets good, no worn or missing teeth. Possibly loose,loaded bike bouncy roads. Happened at zero speed. Best I could tell.

Hope you don't mind me answering for you, but I know you're back in the sticks for a bit.
Glad you stayed dry, it was a gully washer around here. All those gravel roads near you are usually better after a little rain anyways. Enjoy!
nanohiccup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #563
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
I'm in Tallahassee and can offer a place to stay on your way back west.
PM sent
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #564
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Check the bolts holding on the rear sprocket! For some reason mine randomly loosened up and caused me to throw a chain when I tried to brake and then accelerate... also make sure your rear axle nut is tightened properly.

Good luck! Chain flying off is no good, it shouldn't do that!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #565
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee View Post
I'm in Tallahassee and can offer a place to stay on your way back west.
PM sent
LOL Pete, guess you missed the fact that I am waaaayyyyyy past Tallahassee!
Still, I appreciate the gesture
Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #566
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Check the bolts holding on the rear sprocket! For some reason mine randomly loosened up and caused me to throw a chain when I tried to brake and then accelerate... also make sure your rear axle nut is tightened properly.

Good luck! Chain flying off is no good, it shouldn't do that!
I think my chain stretched out some more, I'm getting close to having put 17,000 miles on it. Not sure how long they last for though. I'll check the bolts, make sure they aren't' loose like you said.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #567
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanohiccup View Post
This lady is slap full of positive ju-ju. She had it fixed pronto. Chain looked fine/ok and sprokets good, no worn or missing teeth. Possibly loose,loaded bike bouncy roads. Happened at zero speed. Best I could tell.

Hope you don't mind me answering for you, but I know you're back in the sticks for a bit.
Glad you stayed dry, it was a gully washer around here. All those gravel roads near you are usually better after a little rain anyways. Enjoy!
Thanks Jason!
As for the positive ju-ju, well, today I hit a hard one......
Trying to stay positive even though I just heard from GoalZero, and it turns out that the show I wanted, and every other one, has already been booked out. So no work on the horizon.
Somehow traveling with unlimited funds wold be so much nicer than seeing what you have dwindle down to almost nothing.
Still, like you said, positive juju, I will find something once the need arises!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #568
NomadGal OP
Esther

Jason just had to put up his finger! What's up with that?

Now this pic makes me think of Louisiana, not sure why. Guess I am close though

Jason's bike and Spirit

Jason helping out removing the cotter pin

I was the only one there, wow, so peaceful! Made a tent for Spirit, knew it would rain that night.

Lying in my tent last night, reading, the wind was howling! The leaves in the trees were making a lot of noise, and I swear that sometimes it got so loud that it sounded like a jet flying overhead.
When I went out to take a leak I noticed the stars up in the sky. They seemed very near and bright. It was cold though, so I rushed back into my sleeping bag for warmth.
This morning when I woke Spirit's seat ha frosted over again. Yikes! Somehow I seem to toughen up though, and find that breathing cold air is wonderful. The sun peeked out in no time and warmed up the campsite.
Made some coffee sitting in the sunshine, and some wonderful pancakes as well!
For some reason, even though I wanted to stay there another day, I felt I had to break camp and go south.
So I took my time and packed up.
The campsite had a shower too, and boy did it ever work. The water was scalding hot and came out so fast that it basically hurt. I am most definitely clean now
I took off toward McHenry, they had a library that was actually open, lol.
Sitting here now, typing up my RR, and hoping to hear back from Pat (sk8rdi16)

The library is teensy, but with wi-fi.

Kym Garraway painted the murals ill over the library.

I'm heading toward another campsite tonight, a free one. Hopefully it won't be as cold, but I'm told that it probably will be.
Oh well.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #569
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSTes1300 View Post
I will give it a try, the only drawback is that I don't have cel reception everywhere. Especially not when I'm riding in back country, which I mostly do.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #570
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Looking forward to an oil change tomorrow!! Stay warm tonight!