Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #31
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 319
Cool2 PCH Nicoya Peninsula–Ruta del Sol 160. Part III

Matapalo to Playa Langosta DAY III. R&R. 02Dec12

Re: Prev. post... Once again Youtube University saves the day from a potentially expensive, very easy CPU fix. That out of the way, time for a CR fix!

We left off at the end of day II, roughly 19:00 and sleeping. We had made it to the town of Matapalo, Guanacaste. We stay at Cabo Velas (www.cabovelasestates.com). Now the prices here aren’t exactly “shoe string”, but one place can sleep 6 folks, all on a bed. Also, Daniela, one of the many great people involved with the establishment is a friend of mine from 2004. She and I studied in the same semester abroad program and fate would have us both relocating to CR within a few weeks of each other in Nov of 2006. The condo details are on the site so I will spare you the “It is so close to many beaches, comfortable…”. PM me if you will be stopping by. She and I have discussed a possible ADVrider “financial aid” program.

Ana and I got an even later start to Day III. We slowly come to life and wander the few hundred meters to downtown and the local Supermercado. Time: 10:40.

The overcast skies of the past two days have cleared up and it is typical Guanacaste weather; SMOKIN’ HOT! We hunker down in the shelter of the AC and our humble accommodations for a nice breakfast.

Then the rest of the day is spent between the fridge,

The pool…

The hammock…

… and laundry. No need for a dryer, it’s 100+F's with a slight breeze.

After a grueling day of R&R we saddle up for the daily, evening show. Neither Ana or I had walked on Playa Langosta so that is the venue of choice. It didn’t disappoint. Time: 17:00.

Movember is over and I had to lose the Nascar look.

End of today's sunset Show!

From Langosta we head into Tamarindo. We are to meet with Daniela and head over to a friend of her’s place for a late dinner.

We had some time so we grab a couple batidos and an appetizer of fried calamari. So so quality, beachfront prices.
We should have listened to Daniela and gotten fish tacos. We then sat in the center of Tamarindo waiting for “the call” from Daniela and off we went to dinner with a great bunch of fabulous people. It was an international pasta event of tourist and permanents from a wide range of coutries. Sorry no pics, I was having too much fun.

Waiting in Downtown Tamarindo.

Day III Recap: . No real miles to speak of. I did push the bike into the shade. Maybe 20 kms and 50 yards.

Hasta tomorrow for the fourth and final day. I do promise some seat time on the next instalment.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln

GRinCR screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 10:29 PM
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #32
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

PCH Nicoya Peninsula–Ruta del Sol 160. DAY IV (El Ultimo)

Matapalo to Alajuela 03Dec12

On this day we were well rested and got an early start. We took the main, but gravel route into Santa Cruz. Sorry to be negative, but I would have preferred pavement. This section is 3 lanes wide and there are way too many cars, driving way too fast on washboard gravel. When they pass, they get as close as they can, you can hear everything rattling to pieces on their car and then you see nothing as you are engulfed in their dust trail. Try and pick up the pace…? They do too and machismo takes over, male or female. They block, swerve and speed up to make damn sure nothing gets by them. I guess they assume I am on a little 125cc? So, sorry, no pics and I will find back roads for the next trip.

Did I mention we started early? The dust rally is behind us and we have made it to the “Friendship Bridge” donated to the Costa Rican govt. by Taiwan and finished in 2003. A few years later the CR govt. slapped Taiwan in the face and jumped into bed with China.
Time: 08:19

After the bridge we planned on taking the first right (NatGeo Map) and were going to follow the coast into Colorado. We found the road, but ended up at some type of factory with excavators everywhere. The guards came out promptly to tell us “no hay paso”. I sense shenanigans and that they were doing bad around the bend because this seemed like a public road, it was the only road and my map shows it going all the way through. Anyhow, spun around asked a few locals how to get there. One said on the road we were just on and many others were just guessing base on their body language. We continued on driving down any road we could find. Most looked like this:

After almost 2 hours we gave up and headed back to the pavement and cruised the main route to Colorado. I will find this route someday, attacking it from the other direction.

Time: 10:11 Arrive Colorado

If you want fresh fish/seafood, this is the place. We picked up 2kgs of jumbo shrimp.

Now we were on the intended route; non paved and no traffic. We stayed as close to the coast as possible.

After a while I had to relive myself and as I was doing so Ana found this. She says it is an “elefante” but I don’t believe her. It is way too small.

Back on the bike and back to the scenery. This area is known as the “Costa de Pajaros”.

One of my wife’s many family members lives on the coast here so we stopped in for a quick break. It wasn’t quick, but we had a fantastic fish lunch. After that we had to rearrange the luggage, turn the trunk into a cooler to keep the shrimp we bought and the fish we were given cold for the 2+/- hr run home.

Time: 16:44 and we are home.

Summary: 4 days. I lost count of the number of river crossings. We got lost a few times. Stuck mainly to gravel roads. Relaxed, drank beer and watched sunsets. Total mileage, in kilometers was 611 and I broke in a brand spanking new pair of boots.

Thanks for riding along. More Rides to come, but the next thread is likely to be a "Pre '96 DR650 Overhaul" thread.

Hasta el proximo RIDE compańeros!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #33
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Excellent RR!

Hey Greg,

I just stumbled across your RR. Excellent job!!!

I've been in the Nicoya peninsula a few times and it's always great time (including the getting lost bits! ). I've made some notes of the ways you went, so these will be nice to check next time I'm up there. Actually, I plan to join again the BMW's "Vuelta de la Peninsula" trip in mid-March - it was lots of fun last year. 4 days mostly offroad. It'll be a good opportunity to try out the new big bore.

I'm tied up until end or March, but we should try to set up a ride somewhere after that. I'll send you a PM when I get back.

Safe riding!
-Steeve
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #34
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
Hey Greg,

I just stumbled across your RR. Excellent job!!!

I've been in the Nicoya peninsula a few times and it's always great time (including the getting lost bits! ). I've made some notes of the ways you went, so these will be nice to check next time I'm up there. Actually, I plan to join again the BMW's "Vuelta de la Peninsula" trip in mid-March - it was lots of fun last year. 4 days mostly offroad. It'll be a good opportunity to try out the new big bore.

I'm tied up until end or March, but we should try to set up a ride somewhere after that. I'll send you a PM when I get back.

Safe riding!
-Steeve
I love the magic of ADVRider! Connecting people around the world!
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #35
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
I too live in Costa Rica, but we met thru JDowns'RR (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076), when John stayed at Greg's place and they both came by my place for a quick visit.

ADVRider is indeed an amazing community! Too bad a have a full time job!
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #36
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,807
Chicas mucho gusto hombres con motos!!!
Seriously Greg I am always looking for more ride reports on CR and every time I like it more and more. We vacationed down there in 2010 for 10 days and had a blast driving all over the Nicoya peninsula. Can’t wait to go back!!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 AM   #37
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
...From Langosta we head into Tamarindo. ... We then sat in the center of Tamarindo waiting for “the call” from Daniela and off we went to dinner with a great bunch of fabulous people. It was an international pasta event of tourist and permanents from a wide range of coutries.

Great report!

Did you happen to run into any of these folks while in Tamarindo?

Mandy, on the far right, leaves a lasting impression. That is meant in the most positive way.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #38
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
I leave tomorrow for San Isidro area, taking parts for my 300 and some warm water wax. Be glad to buy you paisanos a beer or take you on a trail ride
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #39
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Great Pics and RR!

Thanks Greg for the nice write-up - who says you're not a writer? I think you are descriptive, engaging
and concise - it's what the people want! Good job.

Also, it was nice to see you and J Downs hookup as I read in his trip down south. I'd love to get down that
way one day but it will have to wait. I agree with Free Radical, it doesn't suck being you!

Last, wanted to say Latin women are pretty amazing as in "pretty AND amazing" so smart move there -
mine's from Guadalajara so you know ella tiene ojos bonitos.
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #40
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
THANKS for posting this. another destination on my bucket list :)
Thank you for reading. Like you need another excuse: great kite surfing on the North end of Lake Arenal!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #41
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post

Safe riding!
-Steeve
I think I should have the bike rebuilt by then... still waiting on parts. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #42
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Great report!

Did you happen to run into any of these folks while in Tamarindo?
Mandy, on the far right, leaves a lasting impression. That is meant in the most positive way.
Thanks Clown, I am glad you enjoyed.

I did not see them, but can't say I looked either. CR is a small country and the "cities even smaller. So, in an imminent return to the area I may get the chance to meet Mandy.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #43
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
Thanks Greg for the nice write-up - who says you're not a writer? I think you are descriptive, engaging
and concise - it's what the people want! Good job.

Also, it was nice to see you and J Downs hookup as I read in his trip down south. I'd love to get down that
way one day but it will have to wait. I agree with Free Radical, it doesn't suck being you!

Last, wanted to say Latin women are pretty amazing as in "pretty AND amazing" so smart move there -
mine's from Guadalajara so you know ella tiene ojos bonitos.
Thank you for reading, and your kind remarks. Truly appreciated.

It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to host JDowns in his journey. He is a spectacular person to be around. There are not enough good things to say about him.

Latin Women: The #1 reason I moved here.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #44
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

My Intro to Motociclismo

I have always had a thing for bikes, but never owned one until late in life; my 20’s. Regardless I would take advantage of anyone who was not careful enough to ask questions like, “do you know how to ride? Have experience or a license?” Then again, if you showed any kind of weakness what so ever I was usually on your bike and long gone by the time you thought to ask! From memory I have ridden an early 90’s KX125with a powerband (YIKES!), a late 90’s YZ 80 (crazier than the 125 IMHO) and had stolen a few times a YZF 600 while the owner was out on the lake (he left the keys in it, zoom zoom). There have been many others but in 2006 I finally had one to call my own, kind of.

My first bike was a 2001 Honda Shadow 600. Fun bike, comfortable but it never crossed my mind to just up and drive and not stop. I only used it to commute to and from work until it was too cold, or snowed. Longest ride ever was a two hour, each way, trip to a buffalo ranch in western MN. I did like the bike, nice to learn on, but it was lacking a fifth gear and I was moving to Costa Rica. The bike was my older brother’s, I had paid half what we agreed on, used it for the summer and when I had to wear all my ski gear to stay warm on it, I drove it back to his house and he repossessed it. He cleaned it up, resold it and bought a Harley he rarely rides. I wouldn’t either! It is likely broken.

The Shadow

2006 to 2008… I am semi established in Costa Rica and picked up my second bike, a Daelim 125 pandillera. It was a Korean made bike that came with a Honda Owner’s Manual written in Korean. It was the right price with all the wrong characteristics. It had a stolen title and owed a few years of registration stickers. Again, I only thought to commute with the bike, never got the title cleared and paid any fines when stopped right on the spot. Then one day it just stopped running and I knew little (nothing) about mechanics. So it sat.

At this time I was single, working with a Real Estate developer and I was doing alright. I also had met my first inmate who turned me on to the www.ADVrider.com community and also the Long Way movies which spawned an obsession.

Meet the instigator, inmate/lurker YBCAGED

So I got to thinking ; how can I turn a whole bunch of money…

into a steamy pile of ?

The plan was to make a buck off of riding every day. My mistake? Ask China why they make such sh**ty quality sh*t. I planned to do the break in myself so I knew how they could be ridden and knew it was done correctly. Then I would find some fun routes (ask YBCaged about this topic) and start a web site. Easy, right? Not one of them made it to 2,500 kilometers before blowing up. On two the radiators burned holes from which all the oil poured out. The third? It pissed oil out of every possible place there was a gasket nearly from day one. I fought the dealership. They couldn’t find parts. They returned them to me in the same broken condition telling me they were fixed. I thought about suing and then remembered where I was. Months went by and they finally got them back to me, one at a time, slowly.

I would get one back and have to return it again for the same leaks. One time there were stains all over the engine case and the head mechanic tried to tell me it was like that. I started yelling. I fillanlly got one back I could keep. It got stolen. Got the second one back and finally the third. The warranty was extended on them so I sold one. The third one then got stolen. Shortly after I got a call from the OIJ (FBI in CR) telling me the first one had been recovered!

After months of paperwork and a fax of roughly 45 pages I was told I had all the documents needed to pick up first stolen bike. I took a two hour bus ride over the mountain to one from one building to the next to retrieve my motorcycle. When I got to the impound lot, to official said something like, “I’m sorry, this isn’t the document. You will have to get a different one from our office in San Jose.” +2 hours on the bus.
I got on the phone with Jose (I forget his real name) at the Fiscalia building I was just at.
The conversation went something like:

“Jose, it’s Greg.”
“Si?”
“Do you remember looking at all those pages I faxed to you?”
“Si.”
“Do you remember telling me ‘todo esta aqui’?”
“Si.”
“Do you remember when I asked if you were sure everything was there and how I was not going to make two trips, etc…?”
“Si, si.”
“Ok Jose, talk to Jose II, the officer and tell him this is your fault and to give me my moto so I can go home.”

The Joses chatted a while, and I finally got the bike. It didn’t start so we had to bump start it. A little dusty and a few scratches but it ran. Still leaked oil ! I almost sold it to Jose II right there on the spot for $200. I said give me the money, find a lawyer, call me when the paperwork is done and I will come back here to sign if it can’t get done today. He almost bit, but wisely declined.

The story goes, some bandito had my moto, the cops were looking for him, found him, he ran and crashed. The bandito later tried to sue the cops and my corporation because he broke his nose and wrist. When I filled up with gas and oil on the way out of town I had a fun conversation with the gas pumper guy. He tells me a friend of his has the same bike, but just crashed it and broke his wrist and nose. He would fill up at this same station too. I listened and when things were all done and the gas gun put away I made sure he knew his friend was a POS thief and this was my bike all along. I smiled, he didn’t and I drove away.

My garage now looks like this.

I sold the black one with the stolen title for a hundred bucks and beer. Finally unloaded the Chino POS and was free of that nightmare. The little Honda; only had a clogged jet and still runs well today.

So after taking a bath on that little adventure I amazingly had some coin left over. So for just a fraction of what I paid for three Chinese piles of poo, I got this:

Dec, 2008. The first ride with the new (to me) DR650.

We have since gotten quite intimate

Now, enough blah blah blah, it is time for a ride…

Sorry about the long wind on this one, here is what is next...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #45
YBCAGED
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Instigator here.

Too bad we didn't take pics of the trip that now keeps me away from your "adventures". It's fun to think back on it now, but picking up a 550lb bike over and over again in 100+ degree weather was not fun at the time! Seems to me that you took the same road another time with an almost man size bike and you thought differently of it afterwards! Hopefully I'll downsize into the 800gs soon and I'll be back on the dirt tracks with you. Nice thread Bud.

Everyone dies, but not everyone really lives.
YBCAGED is offline   Reply With Quote