Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #7411
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 115
Leaking gas cap: stored with overfull main?

I'm hoping the leaking gas cap is mostly caused by submerging the cap in fuel for days, often enough.

I have an XTank. I once opened the main to check fuel level -- and ~4-8oz of fuel spilled out! Bike was on sidestand, level ground. An increase in ambient barometric pressure could do this, or if air somehow bubbles up the fuel line into the xtank... Regardless, I keep my xtank empty when not riding, and hope my six-year-old OEM gas cap never leaks. Time may tell.
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #7412
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
I think the stock cap will eventually leak even without an auxiliary tank. It is not a durable construction. The small o-ring that seals the lock cylinder seems to go first and fuel will weep out around the key hole.

A leaky cap is not a big deal if you dont run an aux tank. The fuel level is always below the cap except for splash.

Anyway, if it aint broke, dont fix it ! Wait til you see some weepage.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #7413
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
I'm hoping the leaking gas cap is mostly caused by submerging the cap in fuel for days, often enough.

I have an XTank. I once opened the main to check fuel level -- and ~4-8oz of fuel spilled out! Bike was on sidestand, level ground. An increase in ambient barometric pressure could do this, or if air somehow bubbles up the fuel line into the xtank... Regardless, I keep my xtank empty when not riding, and hope my six-year-old OEM gas cap never leaks. Time may tell.
Yes, if you leave the OEM gas cap submerged in gas, it will leak. The fuel pump pulls quite a vacuum on the main tank and you also have the siphon effect. Throw in the overflow vent at the base of the OEM gas cap, and yes, you will fill the main tank completely after you stop.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #7414
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Thanks for the info before. Has anyone used a extra tail tank on the rear rack? I looked in the specific fuel threads and did not find anything. That does not mean it wasn't there of course. The tail tank could feed into the breather as an xtank I presume. Is the xtank still in production? It looks the goods and maybe I should save up for that
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #7415
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post

Looks like the Husqvarna (BMW) Terra / Srada is becoming all the rage nowadays. If there is a successor to our X series, this it it.
Not really, it weighs 40kg more

Has a all steel frame, subframe and swingarm v steel/alloy and alloy

The Terra is more F650GS Dakar, than G650X

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #7416
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Lol, well I guess it's in the eyes of the beholder.

I've seen and sat on both the Terra and Strada and they are very different from the GS series. They look and spec-out very similar to what a SUCCESSOR to the X Series would logically be but closer to the XCo than the XCh. Bigger fuel tank and other upgrades. Weight is not a huge amount more than the X based on published specs. Lots more HP though.

Just look at the things !

Now that BMW has sold off Husqvarna, it'll be interesting to see what happens to these hybrids of Italian and German efforts.

leafman60 screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 02:57 PM
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #7417
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 6,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by squizzy View Post
Thanks for the info before. Has anyone used a extra tail tank on the rear rack? I looked in the specific fuel threads and did not find anything. That does not mean it wasn't there of course. The tail tank could feed into the breather as an xtank I presume. Is the xtank still in production? It looks the goods and maybe I should save up for that
I just use an accessory tank on mine......I can take it off when I don't need it!

(Sorry, it's the only photo I have of the bike with the tank on)

RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #7418
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

New bike

Hi Guys
Picked up the new bike this morning. A bit dirty, but I will go for a ride tomorrow and it will get dirtier! It is a 2008 and has a Sachs spring rear shock and a steel subframe. I dont know if Aus deliveries are different to US, but I thought steel was only 2009. A bit of a bonus there. What sort fuel range can I expect from the tank? Will be mounting a rotopax or similar in the future. Oil seems reasonable, but will change that in the next week or so. Was fun riding it home, looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #7419
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

lookin good
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #7420
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 6,584
Quote:
What sort fuel range can I expect from the tank? Will be mounting a rotopax or similar in the future. Oil seems reasonable, but will change that in the next week or so. Was fun riding it home, looking forward to tomorrow.
I get a VERY consistent 25kms/liter.

My fuel light comes on between 164 - 173 kms. My fuel range is 250kms
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #7421
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Ride today

Thanks for the info. Went for a ride today 225k used 7lts.. Great fun, on the way home just thinking when I can go for my next ride! Dont get me wrong, I love riding my 800, but the 650 is so flickable and easy to ride. I will transfer the rego tomorrow!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #7422
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Great picture !
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #7423
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love riding my 800 ...
We all say that about the other bike!

Quote:
Totally looks like much of California!

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #7424
BubbaMcCranky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Fitting TKC-80's on G650 XCountry?

I'm starting to make my g650 xcountry more dirt-capable and the tires seem to be the best starting point. The Continental TKC-80's seem to be available in the stock sizes for the bike and there seems to be much extolling of their virtues on ADVRider in general.

Has anybody gotten them to actually fit on their XCountry? The front fender seems really close to the top of the stock Metzlers and I'm not yet convinced that the knobs on the Continentals will fit without rubbing.

Anybody able to give a first-hand testimonial that they fit on the bike, fender and all, or perhaps a word of warning?

Thanks a lot.
BubbaMcCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #7425
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMcCranky View Post
I'm starting to make my g650 xcountry more dirt-capable and the tires seem to be the best starting point. The Continental TKC-80's seem to be available in the stock sizes for the bike and there seems to be much extolling of their virtues on ADVRider in general.

Has anybody gotten them to actually fit on their XCountry? The front fender seems really close to the top of the stock Metzlers and I'm not yet convinced that the knobs on the Continentals will fit without rubbing.

Anybody able to give a first-hand testimonial that they fit on the bike, fender and all, or perhaps a word of warning?
I've got 5,000 miles on my TKC-80's, half of that off-pavement. Fine tire for our XCo's. Plenty of clearance from from the stock front fender, unless you plan to ride in cakey mud.

At some point for even more clearance I plan to put on a front fender from a KTM 690, using this special bracket.
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote