Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 263 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #3166
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I would suggest that you keep looking; I have a relatively junky Southwind RV that's worth about $5K and it has a good generator. Good enough that I may scrap out this RV rather than sell it simply because the parts are worth more than the whole (with that said if your travels take you to the San Antonio, TX area and you need an occasional RV then drop me a line and we might kick something around).

Good places for RV bargains are eBay (search for repos and no reserve sales - you see some bargains every so often), Craigslist, and www.RVTrader.com

When looking for something in the USA remember that this is a big country (although I am sure that you know that) and even Texas is big enough that some RVs may not be economical if you have to travel across the state to pick it up.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks John.

Yes I've been watching Ebay auctions and noticing the difference in prices for decent small Class B's and how the smaller Class C's built on the same van chassis are a lot cheaper. Guess the easier parking of Class b's is the reason...or could be the reliability and stoutness of steel construction versus the cheap wall construction of the cheaper Class C's.. The Class C's offer more space and a cheaper price point however they make using it around town and storage a bit of a nightmare.

A shame Texas is that far away or we could definitely work something out. If anyone knows of anything within a days drive of LA keep me in mind. John thank you for the generous offer wish you were a little closer.

One of my concerns in reading this thread is that the motorhomes need to be kept running and not stored to maintain reliability. I only need it for four months per year using it about 4 days per week, then it will sit while I'm overseas which makes me nervous. One of things I don't want to do is spend weeks sorting it out once I land back in the states before heading off in it. Maybe it simpler to insulate and panel an extended van and use a propane cooking stove and heater and call it good.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #3167
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
You can also pick up a nice Honda or Yamaha generator for under $1k that would keep you in business for weeks.

Or install deep cycle house battery and a simple charging system. That would get you several days.
Do many people use stand alone generators with RV's? Then aren't you driving around with gas cans for the generator in the RV all the time? Then the hassle of constantly topping up the fuel jug. Curious on this option pros and cons. How do people set it up comfortably for a few days usage.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #3168
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
I always forget that I go much more minimal when I'm boondocking, or camping in general, than a lot of folks. No kitchen appliances at all except the gas cook top. Battery is fine for occasional fan and lights and laptop.

My little Honda EU 2000i covers any other longer term needs. Would like to get solar going but not a real priority for me...

I'm wondering in this situation if a simple cooler with ice blocks, propane stove and heater, and deep cycle battery for lights and computers would keep you going for a 3-4 days?

My situation is dirtbikng in the desert for two days at a time then ski bumming four days at a resort in the parking lot. Soooo not hooking into 110v anywhere, in the desert shower with water and a towel and defecate in the bushes. Ski resort I need warmth and enough electricity to run my computer and lights for four days. I have ways to grab a shower and just make sure I take my shits during the day and pee in a bottle at night. What am I missing?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #3169
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
One of my concerns in reading this thread is that the motorhomes need to be kept running and not stored to maintain reliability. I only need it for four months per year using it about 4 days per week, then it will sit while I'm overseas which makes me nervous. One of things I don't want to do is spend weeks sorting it out once I land back in the states before heading off in it. Maybe it simpler to insulate and panel an extended van and use a propane cooking stove and heater and call it good.
There are places that will store and maintain your RV. I know of a guy in Germany that fly's in to Albuquerque & picks up his rig for Jeep Safari every year. They'll have it prepped and ready and even pick him up at the airport. I'm guessing it's not real cheap but if you can afford it, that would be the way to go.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #3170
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Thanks John.

Yes I've been watching Ebay auctions and noticing the difference in prices for decent small Class B's and how the smaller Class C's built on the same van chassis are a lot cheaper. Guess the easier parking of Class b's is the reason...or could be the reliability and stoutness of steel construction versus the cheap wall construction of the cheaper Class C's.. The Class C's offer more space and a cheaper price point however they make using it around town and storage a bit of a nightmare.

A shame Texas is that far away or we could definitely work something out. If anyone knows of anything within a days drive of LA keep me in mind. John thank you for the generous offer wish you were a little closer.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855069

If it wouldn't cost me another $2k to fly out and drive it home, I'd own this now
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #3171
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post

2a thru 2d. We have propane, I ran the stove top to verify. I have manipulated the valve at the furnace from an inward position to an outward position (rotated counterclockwise) and am ASS-uming there is propane present. there is no evidence (sight or sound) of the igniter trying to light.

D

I am confused.

Can you light the stove manually? If that 's the gas then the igniter isn't working.

Not sure there is gas at the stove because it won't light? There is probably a gas detector and a 12 volt valve on the tank. Make sure the detector is on. Cycle it off and on. Most of my problems have been that gas detector and the circuit to the shutoff valve.

Good luck!

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #3172
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit View Post
I have a Honda 1000 generator that runs a 5500 BTU window unit just fine, Using the rule of thumb that it takes 20 BTUs per square foot of living space that would be plenty for most RVs up to 30 feet or so. It will freeze me out of my class B in 90 degree weather.
Not sure what to tell you and I can't see where you are at. In my Wanderlodge it took a 12.5 kilowatt generator to run 3 a/c units and a microwave. And that was in Florida. In the oil patch of Texas during the summer one a/c unit won't keep you cool unless you sit right in front of it.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #3173
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855069

If it wouldn't cost me another $2k to fly out and drive it home, I'd own this now
I looked at that but my thinking was:

* It's got 170+K on the drive train with no rebuilds on file. Getting about that time I would guess.

* Its only got one Deep cycle battery and no generator

*no installed propane stove top, he's using a camper stove which is fine, but nothing special.

*Pop top sleeping won't be usable at the ski resorts.

* No heating furnace

*not an extended length model

In essence it offers very little to me in terms of advantages. Other than a couch that converts to a bed and some storage space, counter top and fridge.

A used class B (or C) with 120K miles or less for $2000 more gives me the above plus: a shower, toilet, generator, proper stove, sink and if I get a raised roof more standing room. At least that was what went through my noggin. If I'm waay off base please educate me as thats what I'm on this thread for. Seems you are paying a premium for the Sportsmobile name on that purchase. If all I was doing was dirt biking it would be a better option........however the mileage is just a bit high for me to be comfortable spending $6k.

This looks a better package I think: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...item3cce0e8b75

Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #3174
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
The simple home rolled redneck RV wouldn't be a bad choice. It's one of the things I considered when buying my Sprinter, but that's another story.

Quote:
Do many people use stand alone generators with RV's? Then aren't you driving around with gas cans for the generator in the RV all the time? Then the hassle of constantly topping up the fuel jug. Curious on this option pros and cons. How do people set it up comfortably for a few days usage.
My little Honda will run overnight easily on a tank of fuel. Many people carry them and their fuel on a hitch hauler box. Or in the trailer with the bikes. It's very little hassle really.

Quote:
I'm wondering in this situation if a simple cooler with ice blocks, propane stove and heater, and deep cycle battery for lights and computers would keep you going for a 3-4 days?

My situation is dirtbikng in the desert for two days at a time then ski bumming four days at a resort in the parking lot. Soooo not hooking into 110v anywhere, in the desert shower with water and a towel and defecate in the bushes. Ski resort I need warmth and enough electricity to run my computer and lights for four days. I have ways to grab a shower and just make sure I take my shits during the day and pee in a bottle at night. What am I missing?
In my little camper, the stove and fridge both run on propane. Other setups will be different. I understand composting toilets do a great job with solids. A Mr Heater works very well in small quarters as long as you're smart about it and don't asphyxiate yourself.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. That Roadtrek is not a bad solution either.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #3175
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
I looked at that but my thinking was:

* It's got 170+K on the drive train with no rebuilds on file. Getting about that time I would guess.

* Its only got one Deep cycle battery and no generator

*no installed propane stove top, he's using a camper stove which is fine, but nothing special.

*Pop top sleeping won't be usable at the ski resorts.

* No heating furnace

*not an extended length model

In essence it offers very little to me in terms of advantages. Other than a couch that converts to a bed and some storage space, counter top and fridge.

A used class B (or C) with 120K miles or less for $2000 more gives me the above plus: a shower, toilet, generator, proper stove, sink and if I get a raised roof more standing room. At least that was what went through my noggin. If I'm waay off base please educate me as thats what I'm on this thread for. Seems you are paying a premium for the Sportsmobile name on that purchase. If all I was doing was dirt biking it would be a better option........however the mileage is just a bit high for me to be comfortable spending $6k.

This looks a better package I think: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...item3cce0e8b75
I don't have a lot of RV'ing experience, just one cross country trip in an old Class C, to be exact. So, I may be way off base too. I think what you're paying for in that case is not specifically the Sportsmobile name, but the fact that it's one of just a few pop-top camper vans on the market. I am interested in something like that because I want something small, light and simple. I'd rather use the facilities at campgrounds and truck stops than deal with the crappy bathrooms that Class B and low-end Class C RVs have. A furnace and a generator would be nice, but I could live without them. I had a pickup with the same drivetrain in that van, and while it's not stellar in terms of performance or reliability, there's a bazillion Dodge trucks and vans with that motor and transmission, so rebuilding or replacing won't be too bad when the time comes. That is a lot of miles for any domestic vehicle, and is another reason why I'm not buying a plane ticket to go get it. If it was local and I could inspect it, I wouldn't be concerned.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Good luck with your search, I'm envious of your position!
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #3176
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
There are places that will store and maintain your RV. I know of a guy in Germany that fly's in to Albuquerque & picks up his rig for Jeep Safari every year. They'll have it prepped and ready and even pick him up at the airport. I'm guessing it's not real cheap but if you can afford it, that would be the way to go.
That would be a nice option, unfortunately its well above my pay grade.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #3177
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:

My little Honda will run overnight easily on a tank of fuel. Many people carry them and their fuel on a hitch hauler box. Or in the trailer with the bikes. It's very little hassle really.

Since I will be carrying the dirt bike on a rear hitch carrier I guess I could mount the generator and a fuel can on the front bumpoer. Anyone see issues with this set-up?

In my little camper, the stove and fridge both run on propane. Other setups will be different. I understand composting toilets do a great job with solids. A Mr Heater works very well in small quarters as long as you're smart about it and don't asphyxiate yourself.

That heater is exactly what I was thinking if I put together my own rig. i hear 110V small fridges are cheap compared to the propane fridges. Any insight on if I have to keep the 110V fridges as level as the propane fridges when running them?

Lots of ways to skin a cat. That Roadtrek is not a bad solution either.
Q's above in yellow.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #3178
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Q's above in yellow.
I can see two possible issues with carrying the gen/fuel on the front bumper. (1) You may end up blocking some of the air flow to your engine. (2) Do you really want to carry a gas can on your front bumper that will be the first thing crushed in an accident?
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #3179
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I. I'd rather use the facilities at campgrounds and truck stops than deal with the crappy bathrooms that Class B and low-end Class C RVs have. A furnace and a generator would be nice, but I could live without them. !
depends what your needs are but the styling of the bathroom is the last thing on my mind at 4 am when it's freezing out if you know what i mean. Ditto the furnace.

That sportsmobile may almost be at major repair time so a way lower mile generic rv for slightly more seems like a no brainer
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #3180
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Not sure what to tell you and I can't see where you are at. In my Wanderlodge it took a 12.5 kilowatt generator to run 3 a/c units and a microwave. And that was in Florida. In the oil patch of Texas during the summer one a/c unit won't keep you cool unless you sit right in front of it.

I'm in Sarasota Florida, and have been perfectly comfortable Summer camping. That said, I don't use AC much during the day, just need it for sleeping.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: