Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #7006
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Interesting. The oil I use (Rotella T-6) is rated at only 1100 ZDDP. That would be even lower than the Motorex at 2600. Hmmm. It seems like some creative marketing going on here.

Found this from bob.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1179563&page=1

It doesn't indicate how long he ran with the conventional oil though. Hmmm
He does say (66 miles). The previously posted analysis is of unused Motorex 10/60 and the analyst concluded that the factory oil is the Motorex 10/60 oil, not dino oil. This was discussed a lot in the old Mega-thread. The glycol seemed to be an unusual additive. Many of us have seen the You-Tube videos of engine/bike manufacturing at the KTM factory. Each motor is run hard on a dyne after assembly and then run hard on a chassis dyne after the bike is assembled. Leads me to believe the correct thing to do with a new KTM bike is run it hard through 2 or 3 heat cycles to insure rings are seated, then drain the oil and ride normally (different for each of us).
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #7007
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,802
Thanks for the response. It was an old thread. I thought he indicated he was going to go much further. He never followed up with his long term results that I noticed.

My new to me 690 has 8800 miles on it. I think the rings are broken in by now. LOL
With all my reading I haven't found a specific reason for the heavy weight oil. My 950 specs 50w. It seems to be very happy with the 5w40. I'm thinking I will give the T6 a try for a cycle or 2 and see if there is any issues or oil consumption. Go from there.

I've still got packages showing up at the house. Parker 425 this weekend. Next week I get to start tinkering.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #7008
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Thanks for the response. It was an old thread. I thought he indicated he was going to go much further. He never followed up with his long term results that I noticed.

My new to me 690 has 8800 miles on it. I think the rings are broken in by now. LOL
With all my reading I haven't found a specific reason for the heavy weight oil. My 950 specs 50w. It seems to be very happy with the 5w40. I'm thinking I will give the T6 a try for a cycle or 2 and see if there is any issues or oil consumption. Go from there.

I've still got packages showing up at the house. Parker 425 this weekend. Next week I get to start tinkering.
I have used Rotella in all my KTMs from my 150 thru my 640 and now in my 690
Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #7009
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Thanks!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #7010
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
Question 2012 690 w/Evo2 wont start.

Hey Everybody, I bought a brand new 2012 690 Enduro R a few weeks back and just got a bunch of goodies in the mail for it today. Did the full Evo2 kit w/Akra pipe minus the cam. Did the SAS delete as well as the Canisterectomy as documented along in this thread.

Got it most of the way back together, but figured I'd fire it up and make sure everything was good to go before I put the fairing and whatnot on.

Bike turns over strong but wont fire. I tried starting it before I applied the map with the stock map, then I loaded the Evo map and tried again and nothing. I don't have any codes showing up in TuneECU and all the sensors are showing up fine. Fuel pump even kicks on after about 5-10 seconds of cranking.

Haven't pulled the plug yet to see if I'm getting spark, that will be on the list of things to check tomorrow.

Has anyone run into something like this before or heard of a similar situation?

Jeremy
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #7011
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post
Hey Everybody, I bought a brand new 2012 690 Enduro R a few weeks back and just got a bunch of goodies in the mail for it today. Did the full Evo2 kit w/Akra pipe minus the cam. Did the SAS delete as well as the Canisterectomy as documented along in this thread.

Got it most of the way back together, but figured I'd fire it up and make sure everything was good to go before I put the fairing and whatnot on.

Bike turns over strong but wont fire. I tried starting it before I applied the map with the stock map, then I loaded the Evo map and tried again and nothing. I don't have any codes showing up in TuneECU and all the sensors are showing up fine. Fuel pump even kicks on after about 5-10 seconds of cranking.

Haven't pulled the plug yet to see if I'm getting spark, that will be on the list of things to check tomorrow.

Jeremy
Did you load the efi map and the throttle map?

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #7012
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:

Take it back appart and see which mission-critical doohicky you left unplugged.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #7013
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
The 690 clutch doesn't seem to get along with the Rotella in my experience. The shifting action is stiff and it doesn't seem to slide into gear easily. Maybe your experience would be different? I thought you are sponsored by an oil company?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #7014
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
The 690 clutch doesn't seem to get along with the Rotella in my experience. The shifting action is stiff and it doesn't seem to slide into gear easily. Maybe your experience would be different? I thought you are sponsored by an oil company?
Seems to work perfectly fine all my other bikes
I am going to try it in the.690

Did have an oil sponsorships
But cutbacks hurt everybody.
Save the good stuff for the Race bikes
And use Rotella all the other times
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #7015
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
At $10000 the 690 is a ghetto bike..i would run whatever oil is on sale at the local jiffy mart

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #7016
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:

Jeremy
Check your spark. No need to pull the plug.. just put a spare spark plug on the plug wire. The evo 1 you have to move the coil.. do you have to move the coil for the Evo 2? Maybe your low voltage coil wire came lose or something. This has happened to me and others.

Good luck.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #7017
Swap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
Has anyone pulled the front forks apart on the 2012 690?
No-one in NZ has really had a lot of experience with the 690 suspension in general. 50mm race sag and i weigh around 78kg in my birthday suit. Front suspension is way too hard for general off-road riding, they bounce off small stones/bumps instead of soaking up the bumps.
I have been recommended to take out the base valve stack and replace the 0.15 shims with 0.10 shims.

Any ideas/comments welcome.
+++++++++10000
and for the rear shock too who gives sometimes kick ass......
Swap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #7018
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Did you load the efi map and the throttle map?
I tried starting before and after loading both maps. Since I haven't been able to do the 15 minute idle adaption I'm sure the FI map hasn't been committed to the ECU yet. Either way, having the proper map shouldn't keep me from being able to start I wouldn't think, it was just effect how well it ran once it was going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Take it back appart and see which mission-critical doohicky you left unplugged.
That's the plan for today. After doing all of the work required to fit the Evo2 I'm kind of second guessing whether or not I want to stick with it. It seems the battery relocation kit puts the positive terminal perilously close to the frame ( like within 3mm) and a good bump would possibly end badly for my electrical system. I'm guessing if I put in a small 8-cell battery it wouldn't be an issue.

Also, with the airbox deleted it gives much easier access to the valves (which is what I was going for) but it also makes it a lot easier for water to get into the intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Check your spark. No need to pull the plug.. just put a spare spark plug on the plug wire. The evo 1 you have to move the coil.. do you have to move the coil for the Evo 2? Maybe your low voltage coil wire came lose or something. This has happened to me and others.

Good luck.
I did have to move the coil to get the airbox out. I'll follow the wires around to see if I may have accidentally pulled something loose. Thanks for the tip.

Jeremy
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #7019
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
At $10000 the 690 is a ghetto bike..i would run whatever oil is on sale at the local jiffy mart
Snerk

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #7020
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swap View Post
+++++++++10000
and for the rear shock too who gives sometimes kick ass......

Are you saying you've replaced the shims and it's an improvement?

I've seen the information on that reduction of thickness but haven't seen much feedback from people that have actually done it.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote