Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #46
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
I'm wondering guys...should I get rid of my snowblower (live in Quebec) given that the Dakar guys don't use one?
I was thinking the same thing about condoms... the Dakar guys don't use them, why should I?
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #47
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
I was thinking the same thing about condoms... the Dakar guys don't use them, why should I?
How do you know they don't? What happens in the piste stays in the piste...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #48
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Dakar bikes use things, that do same as crash bars.
I had chance to actually inspect on real Dakar bikes since I guess 90s. And few latest ones. On Intermot, EICMA and couple in Suzuki dealership 4 km from my house.

They use:
Large sticking to sides sump guards made of carbon-kevlar composite, tough and often carrying water around engine sump. 4+ mm aluminium on old Dakar bikes. There are actually no way engine will get touched in slide because of that. But those are expensive things. Seriously. And after race they look bashed to smithereens.
They use carbon-kevlar-glassfiber covers or actual tanks on front and rear of bikes. And they do not care if those get scuffed or even holed and patched up quickly with resin and fiberglass.
They do not care about state of bodywork - those bikes often arrive to end of race covered in gaffa tape.
They do not use crashbars because those are heavy and only perform one function. This is largely against whole race bike concept, where each 100 gr of weight shaved off.
Their bikes are VERY narrow and engine is well hidden.

At same time I can remind you that when someone (was it Charlie Borman?) in Race to Dakar smashed his plastic tank on the rock he had just enough to get to finish and tank got replaced at base camp. I might be mixing up who it was and details, but I distinctly remember tank replacement.
My own bikes were saved twice by crashbars. Once - far from home, once - 5 km from home. If not for the bars I would have had side cover crashed and bike immobilzed. I went down other time on other bike without bars 1500 km from home and that is what happened. I had to perform roadside surgery by removing side cover and plumbing it with epoxy and then ride home slowly losing oil for 1500 km.And BTW - that fall in absence of crash bars took my rhs footpeg too and made that ride specially ...hm....interesting.
Taking Dakar bike as sample is like comparing regular sportbike with GP machine. Pointless.
As for rider protection - I do not believe it helps on narrow bikes. May be on some other types...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #49
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,039
Most stunting and gymkhana bikes seem to have them. Considering how those are ridden and dropped that would be the best example for me.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:54 AM   #50
Flying Mouse
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi Jon,

I've just had a u-turn tumble on my bike and cracked the fairing panels, reminding me I intended to fit some engine bars. Having fitted these to your bike, do the extend far enough to protect the fairing from the impact?

FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
SW Motech crash bars make me feel more secure on my CBF1000.

I doubt in a crash at speed they would save the day, but a low speed or parking lot drop they could save a love of damage. Plus I'm hoping to figure a way to add highway pegs.

Port of Collingwood
Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #51
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
After more than a handful of drops with my Wee, I can positively say yes, they do wonders. They probably won't do much in the way of protecting critical components in a a MAJOR crash (one that you're not likely to walk away from uninjured) but in most cases, with some low-er speed falling and sliding, they work VERY well, if nothing else protecting expensive things like fairings, and keeping your frame from becoming a shovel for gravel, dirt etc.

Granted this depends on where they're mounted, but I'd like to assume most "adventure bike" crash bar kits have taken this into account.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #52
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I've dropped my F650 once and the crash bars & handlebars kept anything else from hitting the ground. I was idling along on a gravel drive and hit a patch of ice. They work very well for low speed drops.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #53
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,347
Lots of crash bars on the market have changed their name lately to engine protection bars.

The ones on my concours are called tip over bars, their main purpose is to protect the plastic, fairing, mirrors, e.t.c. if you tip the bike over. And with a concours that is a very common occurrence.

They are usually there to protect a vital part of an engine if you crash on your own, like put a hole in a crankcase in the middle of death valley.

I low sides on a cruiser, with 1.5" thick genuine crash bars front and rear. The bike slid 2 full city blocks, NYC blocks. The front bars were ground down about 1\2", rear a little less.

The only part of the bike that had an issue was the floor board bracket, and even that was only because the bolt sheared off.

Cruisers are probably one of the few bikes whose crash bars can really be called crash bars.

While we're on the subject here is a good story.

A few years back a guy goes into a Honda dealership and buys a Honda cruiser. He didn't get the crash bars or maybe Honda didn't offer them for that bike I forget.

Anyway, he gets T-boned by a truck, loses his leg.

He sued Honda saying that because the bike did not have crash bars stock it made the bike unnecessarily unsafe. Somehow the judge agreed to the tune of 10 million dollars.

Since then they have been called engine guards.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #54
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
pretty sure the crash bars on my ktm 950 saved the bikes bacon more than a few times considering how beefed up they were and my bike was not... haha

but hey thats the point of them right?

i admit i didnt have any catastrophic crashes. mostly still fall overs and accidental drops and slow speed wash outs and maybe a skid here or there at maybe 15 mph tops.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #55
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Mouse View Post
Hi Jon,

I've just had a u-turn tumble on my bike and cracked the fairing panels, reminding me I intended to fit some engine bars. Having fitted these to your bike, do the extend far enough to protect the fairing from the impact?

FM
Here is a more head-on photo.

My sense is they would protect the plastic in a parking lot drop. Not sure what would happen at speed. Crashes are unpredictable. They weren't expensive, so I'd go for it if you plan to keep the bike a while. Gives you a place to mount lights or highway pegs too.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #56
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Crash bars (cage) usually is not designed to protect plastics. There is a good chance that the plastic is still going to crack and scratch if you tumble over. Crash bars are designed to protect the engine, radiator, gearbox, maybe muffler to an extent.

I have a beefy cage on my bike, and I drop it quite frequently doing Gymkhana. Cage must have a good design to provide good structural rigidity, so that it doesn't fold under you. You are still transmitting shock through the frame into the chassis, but at least its not a direct hit, and stress goes through the mounting points, which should be beefy enough, as they hold the entire thing together anyway.

Also it takes away some of the stress from handlebars, making it much less likely to bend and twist them and impact them into your tank (although that can still happen, I have a nice new dimple in the tank after last weekend).

Cage also saves your legs, as there is more room between the bike and the ground, so your leg is less likely to get trapped under and be twisted (again from personal experience).

So, if we are talking street, then original statement is a steaming pile of BS. If we are talking off road, I don't know.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #57
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,154
I have a new to me FJR in the garage and waiting delivery for both engine crash guards as well as saddle bag guards.

The bike won't be moving until both are installed.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #58
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I have a new to me FJR in the garage and waiting delivery for both engine crash guards as well as saddle bag guards.

The bike won't be moving until both are installed.
I don't think I've ever heard of saddle bag guards... hell, my panniers ARE my guards! That's the beauty of 'em, they protect the bike!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #59
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of saddle bag guards... hell, my panniers ARE my guards! That's the beauty of 'em, they protect the bike!
Not mine, I have seen them in person and thought about it for my FJR but doubt I ever will. I am going to get some for my KLR though!

smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #60
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
The ones on my RT are for saving all that expensive plastic. The bars alone cost half of a single OEM fairing panel. I've already converted my saddlebag lids over to "crash ready". If it gets me home I'm good with it.

My DR has a Safari tank, bash plate, crankcase armor, and highway pegs. If the engine STILL somehow manages to get damaged I'll toss a match on it and start hitchhiking.