User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,804
Pissed Laptop died... damn!

I've had a Toshiba X205 laptop for about five years, which is a long life for a laptop, I suppose. Last night, the screen died. Totally black.

I'm unsure whether it's worth the cost to replace the screen, or just buy a new laptop. The Toshiba has been a great laptop, running nearly continually for those five years.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Worst part is that the cost to repair would get you a new pc that would require "upgrading" to Windows Hate.

sigh
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
NJjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
I had a Toshiba laptop screen go dark on me, twice.

Time #1 the laptop was accidently kicked when on the floor.
That time it was a fine ribbon cable connector near the hinge for the screen. It came loose. I snaped it back in and it worked.

Time #2 when it went black.
It was was the fluorescent back light bulb. Got them online for a few $'s.

Now installing them took some time and a quality soldering iron, but in the end it works great.

There also is an inverter that powers the lamp (very high voltage). In my online search people mentioned they go bad. That was not my case so I left it alone.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
GlassAnkles
Chip to Queso Ratio

Oddometer: 1,804
sell it for parts, buy a google chromebook if it suits your needs.

do people really need dvd drives on laptops anymore?
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
gonerydin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
This happened to one that belongs to my GF. It might be possible to revive it. Unplug the power supply, remove the battery and hold the power button for 60 secs. Plug it back in and it "might" work. If it does, put the battery back in. If not, do a google search for "Toshiba laptop black screen" before you give up. OTOH, you are probably due for a new one anyway. : )
gonerydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonerydin View Post
This happened to one that belongs to my GF. It might be possible to revive it. Unplug the power supply, remove the battery and hold the power button for 60 secs. Plug it back in and it "might" work. If it does, put the battery back in. If not, do a google search for "Toshiba laptop black screen" before you give up. OTOH, you are probably due for a new one anyway. : )
I'm definitely due for a new one, but I just love this Toshiba. In it's day, it was a screamin' demon! Even now, it's a pretty nice machine.

I just stopped by the computer shop here in town, and I'm looking at $200 total to replace the screen (parts +labor) and that's not too bad. Seems worth it to me.

I'll probably do some online comparison shopping this weekend, looking at new laptops. I really don't want a new machine with Windows 8, though.

Hmm... decisions, decisions.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
sell it for parts, buy a google chromebook if it suits your needs.

do people really need dvd drives on laptops anymore?
+1

If not I've had good luck with Dell refurbished models. Usually they are a huge chunk off new....and when they go on sale it can be up to 75% off.

If you want to avoid Windows 8 look at the small business models as many give the option to keep the old OS. I got a machine with XP a full year after Vista came out.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,508
I second the Dell refurbs. I have been using one for five years at home and my wife for four years.

But I also second the screen replacement. When my even more ancient little Dell laptop bit the dust I simply ordered a used screen from eBay for about $25 and stuck the thing on myself. It is still working five years later. Or it was last time I bothered to turn it on.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,345
That must be a US thing. A lot of lappys sold here come without an OS (I don't consider FreeDOS an OS).
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,100
Open the RAM cover in the back and make sure one of your RAM chips didn't wiggle loose!

I replaced the LCD in my old Acer one time. I think I paid just under $100 for the new screen. It still works, as my secondary laptop. I'm on it now because my newer Gateway died last week!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,418
I had a laptop screen go bad. Found an identical unit on fleabay that had something wrong with the keyboard.

Bought it and did a screen transplant. Easy to do- all the connectors are plug in.

Good luck.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,467
Laptop screens almost never die unless damaged. It's usually just the inverter for the backlight, which is a ~$30, 30 minute DIY fix.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,438
yep, probably the inverter board.

hold a bright light up to the screen, I could still ( faintly) see the windows logo and stuff when the backlight on mine went out.

took about an hour to replace it ( I had never done it before), be careful with the screen they crack very easily!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Laptop screens almost never die unless damaged. It's usually just the inverter for the backlight, which is a ~$30, 30 minute DIY fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
yep, probably the inverter board.

hold a bright light up to the screen, I could still ( faintly) see the windows logo and stuff when the backlight on mine went out.

took about an hour to replace it ( I had never done it before), be careful with the screen they crack very easily!
I'm pretty sure it's not the inverter board. The screen is completely black. I will double-check, though, when I get home tonight.

The laptop has been running almost continuously for five years. I just never turn it off. Something was bound to go out.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Mine started with vertical lines running through it, and they just got worse as time went by.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: