ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #46
emuooz
Tyre Rooter
 
emuooz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: McLaren Flat. South Australia.
Oddometer: 344
I have to agree with Johnf3 it wasn't about the power increase as much for the ease of maintenance.Anyone who has a 950 SE and are riding them in the conditions they were designed for I imagine like me were sick of pulling the bloody tank off and cleaning the useless pre cleaner after every dusty ride.
As long as you take your time fitting it, mine had to have a slight die grind on the under side of the base plate (no big deal)
to get it sitting flat and snug.Do yourself a favour and get a head to wind jetting kit and SAS blanking plates RC8 velocity stacks as well as a couple of packs of filter skins(6) is good I have two on all the time.
The best part is when you get home from a dirty ride just pull the seat off reach in peel the top skin off put a freshly oiled skin on and your good to go I reckon I could do it in about 30 seconds seat off seat on and if you need to get main foam filter out you can do that too without pulling the tank off.But when putting the filter dome back in making sure the hinged side is clipped under properly and it sort of clicks over the dusses clips to seat and seal properly if you install this filter yourself you will understand better how it goes together and then will be able to do it all with the tank on.
Power increase it dramatic as well mine hasn't been on the dyno since and there is no need the fuelling is spot on no flat spots no more popping and the thing wheelies off the throttle in 3rd gear!
Finally I believe if this filter is installed correctly you won't have any sealing problems and will turn your 950 or 990 into a great dirt bike money well spent I say Cheers Emu
__________________
It's NOT a race I just want to get there First

Full Member......Quorn Schnitzel Club
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mUP17SaZA5QYc5

emuooz screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 02:42 AM
emuooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #47
olec
Rookie
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Norway - the land of the Vikings
Oddometer: 273
Hi!
As I am using the CPF filter on my 990 for some time, I have some comments:
First the claimed hp's can be verified by me. Only the filter is giving something between 8-9 hp's and with some extra tuning with Tuneboy I am now in 11,3 hp's more compared to stock. So the filter works and my bike rips more than ever.

About the fitting issue, I have the same issues. This is the most problematic airfilter I've ever owned to be fitted as it is a PITA to get aligned. If I get one tab to match up with the fastener, the other is not aligned and vice versa. But I think the whole problem lays on the left side on the baseplate where the filter is locked down to the base trapped under this 'lip' on the filter. It's really hard to get the filter far enough to the right side under this locking lip, ie get the filter enough to the right side. If you can do that, the tabs aligns much better. So in the process the vendor mention with alignment done with some machines, I am pretty sure the filter frame and the base match up perfectely, but when trying to install it, it will be positioned slightly to the left side making the tabs to be mistaligned slightly. I have been thinking about using some heat to raise this 'lip' a bit to get the filter more to the right side, but then I am a bit worried if I will loose downwards clamping force and filter not so tight against the base. Hmmm.....

So to CPRFAB: This is a fact and I have used plenty of time in my garage trying to find the best and quickest method to fit it. It's not easy and some swearing is involved every time. Your product is doing the job in excellent level, so I am a happy customer. I just wish it could be a bit simpler to install it as bringing a spare filter for longer trips (if headed to very dusty conditions) is not an option like it is now. I can get over and live with it and therefor I have not contacted you about this 'issue'. I have the new updated baseplate and using the prefilter if needed. Breather hos vents outside the box.

Just wanted to give some verification to the OP and some others that there are others also with the same issue.

olec screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 02:45 AM
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #48
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry
 
LocuL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Denmark - Jutland
Oddometer: 1,135
To clarify my ITG filter is not easy to get aligned like Olec says about the CPR. Because my project use the RC8R engine i don´t have the room for the airbox anyvvay and i vvould like to salvage as many ponys as possible. CPR/ITG same same, imho. I still think its a great product and it fits perfect.
__________________
KTM 950(1190) Adv-s, Soon to be Project 1190
KTM 530 EXC-R 08
LocuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #49
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,704
ITG and CPR have slight difference in dimensions.

There is a slight difference of 1,5cm IIRC
ITG width=149mm , length=298mm, height internal/external : JC30/65 = 65/90 this fits in
and JC30/100 = 100/125
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #50
CPRFAB
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Just wondering....are CPR and ITG the same filter?
They look identical (to me)
We have a private label agreement with the company with a slightly different build up to suit the environments we are using them in. So yes, they are different. This was important and after an lengthy amount of testing we found our current proprioritary combination of foam densities, layers and sizing. Starting out with a cheap gimmicky filter was not an option for us with the quality we wanted to produce in our product. Pods, drop ins, paper and gauze were not viable options for numerous reasons and couldn't produce nearly the HP and filtering properties our demands required. One of our earliest tests was a rider that raced the Mexican 1000 without changing the Rottweiler filter at all and the inside of his filter was spotless. The outside was totally caked with silt and still breathing clean air.

We are very close to getting into KTM hard parts as some factory AMA teams are currently testing our product and if that happens the only change will be an orange frame instead of red.

CPRFAB screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 08:26 AM
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #51
CPRFAB
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
CPR guy, I'll volunteer here. Just send me the setup for my 950 SM, and I'll do an install and tell you if there are any issues with it.

You're welcome.
Actually, I'm probably going to buy one of these in the near future. I'm pretty thorough in my install, and I tend not to beat things into place, or hammer shit up. I like your approach to keeping your customers happy, most of them anyway.
We certainly try. We usually stay far away from forums for numerous obvious reasons. They can be a double edged sword depending on what keyboard commando is behind the turret. We got involved here because it was easy to deduce that a simple phone call is infinitely easier than multiple uploaded photos and a title like "Poor sealing" rather than the obvious, "Am I doing this correctly?". Ultimately we take it as an accomplishment that there is conjecture. If we had sold only one, no one would be talking so I guess we should smile about it. Our numbers speak for themselves and all of the comments posted about our product that we advertise our site were not elicited, rather sent to us from genuine satisfaction of the Rottweiler System. We had a small number of issues starting out, spent a ridiculous amount of cash to make a better product and then upgraded everyone for free. We stand behind our product. Period.
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #52
CPRFAB
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 208
Easy Hint

We will give an easy tip here on the alignment and this will help tremendously as you will see the ease of snapping it together in the video below. Make sure the left side clip (Bottim tab in the video) is centered by sliding it back and forth to find the middle. It will clip right in. You can easily do this from the top of the bike. If one ear doesn't quite fit in, slide the entire filter the other way (Front to back of vice versa) slightly to align it and it will pinch right in with 2 fingers.

CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #53
Supahflid
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
A. Paper too works great. In fact, when our guys here raced a 950 SE in the Baja 1000 a few years ago, the stock filter lasted the whole race too. Foams advantage is in its ability to be reused. I contributed the jetting package for that bike iirc.

B. The, "extensive research" you claim to have done that made the use of an aluminum baseplate, "unacceptable" seemingly didn't include any findings nor recommendations on efi mapping nor jetting... none, nor included the realization that your product shattered with heat and vibration...and pretty much flies in the face of 90%+ of the entire countries race teams who construct their air filter mounts out of aluminum.

C. You made the bottom plate out of plastic because, employing the method of connection that you do to the KTM's plastic carb intakes, metal would wear these due to the motor's vibration exacerbated by your design's loose method of connection. Plastic is not better than aluminum nor did you use it for reasons of heat soak, which is easily counter balanced with $2 worth of thermal tape. You used it because you had to, because using aluminum would wear through the carb flanges.

D. That said, I congratulate you for making a good piece of hardware and doing so profitably. I only mention the above as corrections to what I think are exaggerations you've used in this thread to sell your filter. I give away my design, I've given away baseplates, and have been mailing folks here on ADV the templates, custom grommets (that secure metal to plastic firmly while isolating vibrations) and directions on how to make their own baseplates out to of aluminum. I have absolutely no commercial interest here. Take it for what you will.
You are making an awful lot of supposition about the manufacturer's reasons for the way he built his products on top of essentially calling him a liar.


You wanted nothing more than to tell all of us how awesome you are. Well I don't know you and your contributions to this discussion are useless. I am interested in what the manufacturer of the product I purchased has to say. You, on the other hand, haven't brought any product to the market, so none of us can judge its' worthiness here. You sound like you have sour grapes because you can't get anyone to make your aluminum plate design because it's a heat sink.
Supahflid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #54
AdvRonski OP
They call me......Ronski
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Wishing I was back in Grand Junction, now in MN
Oddometer: 655
Oh, Snap!
__________________
Ronski
Enduro Racer & Google Earth Adventurer
AdvRonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #55
PowerCell
SE990R
 
PowerCell's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Kalifornia
Oddometer: 2,142
I don't think Chris (CPR Fab) needs to defend himself...
  1. He came up with a good idea.
  2. Invested heavily in it.
  3. When the original base plate became an issue, he stood behind his product and replaced every one of them free of charge.
  4. He continues to participate in our forums providing quick and helpful support.
  5. He's making money on his investment so he can afford to develop more products for our bikes.
As an manufactuer myself, I can appreciate all of this. As a log time do-it-yourselfer I appreciate Sporting Woods self efficiencies. It's nice to have options, but let's not start bashing a valued vendors products just because you can make one at home and save a little...


.
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #56
corndog67
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
A. Paper too works great. In fact, when our guys here raced a 950 SE in the Baja 1000 a few years ago, the stock filter lasted the whole race too. Foams advantage is in its ability to be reused. I contributed the jetting package for that bike iirc.

B. The, "extensive research" you claim to have done that made the use of an aluminum baseplate, "unacceptable" seemingly didn't include any findings nor recommendations on efi mapping nor jetting... none, nor included the realization that your product shattered with heat and vibration...and pretty much flies in the face of 90%+ of the entire countries race teams who construct their air filter mounts out of aluminum.

C. You made the bottom plate out of plastic because, employing the method of connection that you do to the KTM's plastic carb intakes, metal would wear these due to the motor's vibration exacerbated by your design's loose method of connection. Plastic is not better than aluminum nor did you use it for reasons of heat soak, which is easily counter balanced with $2 worth of thermal tape. You used it because you had to, because using aluminum would wear through the carb flanges.

D. That said, I congratulate you for making a good piece of hardware and doing so profitably. I only mention the above as corrections to what I think are exaggerations you've used in this thread to sell your filter. I give away my design, I've given away baseplates, and have been mailing folks here on ADV the templates, custom grommets (that secure metal to plastic firmly while isolating vibrations) and directions on how to make their own baseplates out to of aluminum. I have absolutely no commercial interest here. Take it for what you will.
Wow, you should probably start to make your own shit, after all, your jetting was contributed to someone's Baja bike. I bet those jets cost upward of $8.00 or so. Does your engineering degree cover aluminum and all it's thermal/wear/manufacturing properties too? It's funny how you make these public assumptions about this guys parts, have you ever owned one, or are you picking this all up from the internet? Or is it all because someone you know, knows someone who knows someone, whose brother in law bought a spark plug for a Bultaco once, and Rottweiler also bought a spark plug once, and, and, and........

For not having any commercial interest here, you seem pretty sure of yourself when burning down this man's product.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #57
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Pilbara
Oddometer: 329
My CPR filter even seals upside down here in Oz. Brilliant product, does as advertised and the noise between my legs is enough to get off on.

Rick
pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #58
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,428
Everything else aside....

I have never seen CJ Racer sell and use a product he doesn't believe in or rely on...

He sells them....he uses them.....I'm in.....
__________________
'14 1190R...Adventure Beast
'13 690 Quest...Rally Beast
950SE......Desert Beast
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #59
brents347
Trusting my Cape...
 
brents347's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the hell is Truckee, CA?
Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by pRICK View Post
My CPR filter even seals upside down here in Oz. Brilliant product, does as advertised and the noise between my legs is enough to get off on.

Rick
TMI. Clearly you can't use a suede seat cover...
__________________
07 Yamaha R6
07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
04 KTM 250exc- plated two-stroke

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #60
corndog67
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
What weight chain bar oil do u use ?
I'm not from North Carolina.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014