Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #841
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Got some racks and a carrier on my DR recently, and only just got it back together today.

So since it was only -2C, and the bike started, I took it out for a three minute ride.

(You might want to click the "Annotations" bubble to see what was going through my mind as I was riding.)

And now Winter's back.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #842
THB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
So since it was only -2C, and the bike started, I took it out for a three minute ride.

(You might want to click the "Annotations" bubble to see what was going through my mind as I was riding.)

And now Winter's back.
Thanks for sharing that! I'll reciprocate with a 3 minute ride in 122F degree heat in a few months!
2003 Yamaha YZ250
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #843
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by THB View Post
Thanks for sharing that! I'll reciprocate with a 3 minute ride in 122F degree heat in a few months!
Not sure which is worse, -2C or 122F. Neither is very good for riding in, but at least you can dress for -2C. Not sure what you would wear for 122F.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #844
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,304
Trophyhunter, as you know, I have the B-King windscreen, that is much like yours. I am 5' 10" and mine works well also.
I rode from Seattle to San Diego in February 2010 with snow in a few places and was very glad to have it. I have never felt the need to remove it, but, then I do not get into any real hairy stuff, unless by accident, and then it is too late.

On a side note. I have gotten approval to import my DR 650 to the Philippines. (That didn't take long) I now, just have to arrange shipping it. I just hope I can get it here before I am too old to ride it.

Paul...
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #845
THB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Not sure which is worse, -2C or 122F. Neither is very good for riding in, but at least you can dress for -2C. Not sure what you would wear for 122F.
You gear up with the best ventilated gear you can get and try to avoid stop lights. Having said that, -2C is much worse. Cold hurts.
2003 Yamaha YZ250
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #846
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Got some racks and a carrier on my DR recently, and only just got it back together today.

... Winter's back.
I put that exact box on the back of mine. I ran a Female Cigarette Adapter to it and put some minicell foam inside so I can protect and charge my netbook and other electronics while I ride. What do you expect to strap to the top of yours?

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #847
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
I put that exact box on the back of mine. What do you expect to strap to the top of yours?
I usually tie my tools, and extra gear I don't want to wear.

I'd like to rig up a better way to carry the tools and tubes though. That's a lot of weight up high on the bike. I usually have my camera gear inside the box. Good idea, running power to the box.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #848
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Quote:
I usually tie my tools, and extra gear I don't want to wear.

I'd like to rig up a better way to carry the tools and tubes though. That's a lot of weight up high on the bike. I usually have my camera gear inside the box. Good idea, running power to the box.
I like the idea of having strap points for small items on the top box.

Rigging the charger inside the box was super easy. Drill a hole big enough for the quick connect to slide through and a rubber grommet (actually had to use 2, one that fit the ID of the hole in the case I had to drill and on for the OD of the cord, but it seemed to all fit together pretty well) to make it water resistant.

Could probably make it watertight with latex or other flexible sealing compound, but I am content with the rubber grommets.

The best way that I have seen to get a small tool roll lower down on the bike is a 4" aluminum (or PVC) tube

this is what the previous owner did for my bike after breaking a couple of the plastic tool tubes out there

like this...

if you want to see some of the other ideas he had, I will offer his blog-site. We don't agree on how to do everything, but I'll give him this, when he does something he doesn't go half way!

http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/

Cheers!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #849
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
I like the idea of having strap points for small items on the top box.

if you want to see some of the other ideas he had, I will offer his blog-site. We don't agree on how to do everything, but I'll give him this, when he does something he doesn't go half way!

http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/

Cheers!
Thanks for the ideas! I had seen the shortwayround site - as you say, it's very useful.

This is what I used as tiedown points on my box.

I found them at a Marine Supply house.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #850
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Quote:

This is what I used as tiedown points on my box.

I found them at a Marine Supply house.
Used these many times on my Kayaks - I'm a guide

Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #851
CreativeEdge
n00b

Oddometer: 3
been on motorcycles for about 25 years, from crotch rockets to cruisers but must say that the DR650 is the one I have had the most fun on.
I set it up to be able to carry my photography gear into the Florida Everglades and it's worked out great.
I've had it about 2 years, mods so far: removed snorkle, shimmed needle, drilled slide, added skid plate and now have a suzuki muffler getting here tomorrow and will install using Jesse's midpipe.

CreativeEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #852
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Light vented or mesh gear with cotton underneath. The key thing is to soak down with water at every opportunity. Soak your riding gear, inside of your helmet, boots, everything. You can stay pretty comfortable until it dries out.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #853
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 371
Fo24

Recently picked up an FO 24 to replace the fmf q2 that came on my new to me DR. Ordered the mid pipe from Kentech today. Looking forward to the new sound

Plan on getting the Wolfman gen 2 exp.. dry bags and rack. However, I've read some disparaging remarks about these when used with aftermarket tail racks. Any thoughts?

My home made tool tube. Saw this on one of the forums. Pipe, fittings, end cap,, rubber cap from Lowes. About $8 total.
'71 SL 350 - Honda

drdubb screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 06:41 PM
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #854
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
JP - great to hear you got the import approval..! For the record, I don't think you'll ever be too old.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #855
Ride-DR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thumb My Baby

Ride-DR is offline   Reply With Quote