ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #301
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,805
Loosen the oil filter...retighten. run, repeat.
bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #302
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,837
Hi Flo Filters

I have been using Hi Flo filters from day one on my 640s mainly because of economics... The OEM spin on filters through KTM are priced around $25 and the paper filters about $10 which adds up to about $35 combined... I buy the Hi Flo filters in bulk and can get 3 of each {6} for the same price... If you are looking to do the same I found that these guys have good prices on Hi Flo filters and will soon have a proper website up: http://www.classiccycleparts.com/
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #303
zsmiley88
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 6
Hey guys, I have recently changed my oil and apparently made the mistake of putting too much oil in. I discovered this when my 98 620 LC4 started running poorly after about 150 miles. BTW when it began running poorly there was a significant amount of oil in the air box. I have since drained the oil to the proper amount but the oil smells of fuel and seems awfully thin. Do you recommend just starting over with a fresh oil change and new filters? Or am I screwed?
zsmiley88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #304
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmiley88 View Post
Hey guys, I have recently changed my oil and apparently made the mistake of putting too much oil in. I discovered this when my 98 620 LC4 started running poorly after about 150 miles. BTW when it began running poorly there was a significant amount of oil in the air box. I have since drained the oil to the proper amount but the oil smells of fuel and seems awfully thin. Do you recommend just starting over with a fresh oil change and new filters? Or am I screwed?

If the oil smells like fuel, I would change it again.
How did you get fuel in the oil???

You are not screwed........it's nothing that time and money won't fix.

Cheers
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #305
zsmiley88
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 6
That's what concerns me. From my understanding, fuel has no place any where near oil. Money is something I have access to, time however is a different story. Which leads me to my second conundrum; if I have no time, is it worth fixing? Things to think on I guess.
zsmiley88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #306
Antikid
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Oddometer: 66
it really warms my lc4 powered heart to see that this thread is still active

i have the instructions printed, and still use them. granted i have only put about 11k miles on my 625SMC
__________________
05 KTM 625 SMC
09 KTM 200 XCW
Antikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #307
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmiley88 View Post
That's what concerns me. From my understanding, fuel has no place any where near oil. Money is something I have access to, time however is a different story. Which leads me to my second conundrum; if I have no time, is it worth fixing? Things to think on I guess.
With the fuel smell in your oil what you may have is a faulty float needle or a chunk of debris holding it open in the carb... When the carb float bowl fills to the correct level the needle/seat is supposed to stop any further flow of fuel until the level drops... If the needle does not do it's job then the fuel will keep on flowing, making your engine rich when running... When your engine is not running and the fuel tap is open it is possible for the fuel to make it's way into your engines base with gravity and mix with the oil...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #308
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sparrowhawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Washington, USA
Oddometer: 1,836
What gunner said. If the petcock is open while the bike is off and the float valve leaks, gas drains and overflows through the carb and past the piston into the crankcase. If your oil smells strongly like gas you should change it and fix the cause. Remember, your oil is now as flammable as gas so be careful around sources of ignition!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #309
zsmiley88
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 6
Thanks guys! This actually makes a lot of sense. The bike has sat longer than expected and I did not properly prepare it for storage. For the time being i am going to drain the fuel, then when I have some spare time I will change the oil and clean the carb and fuel tank. Thanks so much for the advice.
zsmiley88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #310
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,805
Replace the rubber tipped needle and the O-ring,
set the floats.
b
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #311
pondo
bantu
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Budapest
Oddometer: 13
Hi Guys - im a new lc4 adventure owner and decided to do an oil change. all went well but i just have two questions which ive searched the answers for to no avail. i filled it up with motorex oil and the oil through the sight glass is still black. should i flush/change oil again or is this normal. i did get the oil hot and drained it properly and changed all the filters. secondly - when the motor runs what should one see in the sight glass? i see oil slowly pulsing down the window. seems the oil is circulating which seems good to me - just want to be sure this is what should be happening. any advice will be appreciated....
pondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #312
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser
 
clintnz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Rotoiti, New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondo View Post
Hi Guys - im a new lc4 adventure owner and decided to do an oil change. all went well but i just have two questions which ive searched the answers for to no avail. i filled it up with motorex oil and the oil through the sight glass is still black. should i flush/change oil again or is this normal. i did get the oil hot and drained it properly and changed all the filters. secondly - when the motor runs what should one see in the sight glass? i see oil slowly pulsing down the window. seems the oil is circulating which seems good to me - just want to be sure this is what should be happening. any advice will be appreciated....
Even on the first run of my totally rebuilt & sparkly clean engine my oil turned black quite quickly just like it always has. Don't worry about it. When running & warmed up the oil level should be around the lower sight glass line & it should be flowing down like you say.

Cheers
Clint
__________________
'03 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #313
pondo
bantu
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Budapest
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Even on the first run of my totally rebuilt & sparkly clean engine my oil turned black quite quickly just like it always has. Don't worry about it. When running & warmed up the oil level should be around the lower sight glass line & it should be flowing down like you say.

Cheers
Clint
thank you clintnz. suppose all i need to do now is ride...
pondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #314
grumpyman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Oddometer: 80
question on the bottom filter

i tried to make sure i had the tip in the filter but did not crawl under to visually confirm
oil temp seem normal
after a drop on right side everything is back to normal
if i really want to check i could just drain bottom case recheck filter and reburp top end
i burped mine flat and got a small flow of oil from a loose upper nut (normal?)
i did not do the 2x4 trick do i now have to much oil??
thanx for all the tutes guys
would it be possible to put them all in one file (the one peeps are not arguing over)
i would gladly donate if this happened
allthough i think this is possible with thread tools if i am not mistaken
grumpyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #315
tileman
Studly Adventurer
 
tileman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne, OZ
Oddometer: 850
Just did my first change on the 03 640. Went well, thanks for the guide. Did spill mch so I'll call that I win!!!!
__________________
If ignorance is bliss, why aren´t more people happy?????
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014