Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #46
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I think someone once said "the interstate system is the best way to get somewhere and not see anything" or something like that
You had it.

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything." Charles Kuralt.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #47
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
DO IT. JUST DO IT. STOP THINKING AND JUST FUCKING DO IT.

That being said, money IS something you will need. I did a 27,000 mile trip in just over four months back in 2009, and I figure I spent $1500/month. In ideal situations, yes you can do it a lot cheaper, but when you're on the road for long periods of time shit WILL come up. Something will break, you'll lose something critical and need to replace it, bike will need maintenance, etc.

This total cost included gas, a set of tires, a semi-major repair (new crankcase cover, never saw the rock that punch a hole in it), about 20-30 hotel rooms and paid campsites ranging from $9/night to $100/night. I also lost and had to buy a new set of cold weather gloves ($150) and bought a new pair of riding pants ($200).

90% of my meals were cooked super-cheaply on a camp stove (those $0.89 instant pasta packets are great!), I became an expert at stealth camping anywhere, and it helps that my bike was a shaft drive so there were no chain/sprockets to worry about replacing.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #48
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
Let me know what ya think..

I'm having this plan for 2015 ..

$15k budget
6 months to ride it.

??? Thoughts. Advice ?...
Stay the hell off interstates.

And unless you have friends or family you want to see there, I'd advise you to skip Florida. It's pancake-flat and crowded as shit, and quite expensive.

Instead, spend more time in the Appalachian Mountains. Ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, check out the Tail of the Dragon, and FOR FUCKS SAKE go to the Barber Motorsport Museum in Birmingham, Alabama.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #49
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Like most folk, you know you can't go everywhere in the lower 48. Those that do know that the only Great Riding between the Rockies and Appalachia is the Ozark Mtns.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #50
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post
like most folk, you know you can't go everywhere in the lower 48. Those that do know that the only great riding between the rockies and appalachia is the ozark mtns.
+1

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #51
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
You had it.

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything." Charles Kuralt.
I gotta call BS, mr Kurault don't know how to open his eyes

While I don't advocate riding exclusively on interstates, they are the best way to avoid cities, they also get you across large expanses of places you've been before to get to new places to explore

and many places, the surface roads are so forested in, ya can't see anything but trees, interstates will get you on to high open ridges with better views

and, if you've seen one cornfield, you've seen them all
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #52
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
yess!!! great advice all. i will consider and do a little more research

deff going to do it!

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #53
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,337
I can't speak to the cost, but I can speak to doing what you want while you have the freedom and ability. In 1993, I wanted to take a crack at racing mountain bikes professionally, so I headed west got after it. I left home with my tools in the trunk, bikes on a bike rack, and $500.00 cash in my pocket. Along the way, I found a job, a wife, and a life. I'm still here, and every day when I wake up and see mountains out my window, I feel like I'm on vacation. Now with Facebook, I've learned what became of the less adventurous people I left behind. You don't want to be one of those people.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #54
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Wicked

Great words CJ !
This is true. I want to do all this. Being young, not married,no kids. Nothing to worried about.

I mean I can wait till I'm retired.... But then it'll be a whole different style...

YOUNG AND WILD

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #55
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
hey amigo, I have a spread sheet that can help you calculate the amount of money you need, i just need your email to send it.

let me know if you are interested.

OK now i read it all and send you the spread sheet. I saw you map and coming from the north please take 101 and hwy 1, hwy 1 is one of the best roads in the US (Lonely Planet named it #1), After Sacramento I-5 is good for making miles and that is it.

I am trying to figure out hot to put in the trip of my life, I am looking at a 10K mile trip (up your state) a 8K mile to Panama, a 6 around my country or just a smaller 2 k one around Baja... the one I take will depend on the time I have and to some extend the money, but with a job, family and a house to pay I just can't take a year off, but never stop dreaming!!
So what I want to say is maybe all 50 states are not worth your time (at this time) and more compact rout could be a lot cooler!

You go!! regardless of the bike (what do you have?) and the destination... you will know how much you can and will.

Damaso

PS JUST GOOOOO!!

damasovi screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 04:27 PM Reason: added more stuff
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #56
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
For the OP it in not only about how much you will spend but also how much you can earn.
Be sure that you can make enough money while working to pay for your living as well as save
some $$$ or you will never travel too far.Like others have stated, if you have needed skills work
times will be short leaving more time and money to travel.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #57
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,105

This part here really miss's the good stuff.
The Ozark's in Mo. and Ar. are good ,but your line is a transit N to S. through them. Birmingham to Atlanta, what are you going to see? Barber's outside of Birmingham is worth it , but why go to Atlanta ?
Anyway the good riding is North Ga.,Eastern Tn. ,Western N.C. Western Va., West Virginia and Eastern and Central Ky. Millions of cruves,hills and valleys.
It's your trip ,enjoy the good parts.

jackc1027,
If you pass through Ky. and need some work or a place to stay, message me I have both. I raise tobacco and cattle and the fun never ends.Good riding too.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 11:40 AM
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #58
jackc1027 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
jackc1027,
If you pass through Ky. and need some work or a place to stay, message me I have both. I raise tobacco and cattle and the fun never ends.Good riding too.
Awesome! I really appreciate the offer. I will 100% be taking you up on this if (when) I pull the trigger on this. I am just trying to get some type of financial system down.

I did want to say thanks to everyone who responded in this thread. The general consensus seems to be to just go for it, and figure it out own the road (quite literally). I will keep this thread updated when I make my decision to go.
jackc1027 is offline   Reply With Quote