Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
KFhunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Well, here's the good news:"There is no personal information written to the RFID chip. This chip points to a stored record in secure government databases."

The bad is that "people" who really really really REALLY want one do steal the number and will find a way to find some of your "other" info. For example your licensce plate. With it they will find some more info on you thru public records (owner, residence etc) , they will dig (with aids like Ancestry.com like mothers maiden name, past residence etc) to the point where they can craft a card/id. They can craft an id with YOUR info. now.
I think the Nexus is the way to go. No more lines and no need for foil.
Btw, never cross a border With foil in you pocket. It just not a good idea.
lol where do you come up with this ?
KFhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #17
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFhunter View Post
lol where do you come up with this ?
I'm just a paranoid freak. That's all. Nothing to do with any experience at all

I have to wear this foil hat with a wire attached to the top of it, it must -at all times- touch the ground.....to keep me sane it must have not been touching when I wrote that.

To each is own, i say go for it." Stolen Identity" never happens, and it's not your responsibility of protecting yourself. It's someone elses anyway.

Cheers, I'm going riding.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #18
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
Has anyone gotten the US Passport RFID card?

I am thinking of getting one to do land crossing into Canada and back to the US?

I know you can't use it to fly anywhere... but sounds convenient to keep it in your wallet.
Tip:

As applies to moto travel, have both the passport card and passport book. This is how I travel on the bike.

Hide the passport card under the moto seat or similar. In the odd event your passport is lost or stolen, you don't have to worry about jumping through any hoops to get home across the border to the US on the bike.

All this worry about aluminum and RFID etc. is workin' it too hard.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
No one would want to steal MY identity, believe me... through all the medical crap and debt I just took twenty years to dig my way out of... lol I am not a "juicy target".

I ALWAYS carry the important stuff on my person. THAT way, even if my bike gets stolen or destroyed in a wreck... I don't have to panick. I usually carry a week of meds on me too... that is, on my person.

Never know when you may get separated from the bike.

I think I will get both and just carry the card in my wallet for this trip. If I meet my European prince... just have a friend overnight the passport book... just one less thing to fiddle with on the road.

I have SIXTY DAYS from today until my lease is done... and 2 to 4 weeks after that before I leave... so that SHOULD WORK ok. Just wish I could use my ten year old photo of when I was skinny...

Toodles... off for photsos and shipping the current book out at the Post Office...
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,752
Serious question:

Do any of you USA citizens have the personal experience of being not allowed back into the USA because you didn't have a passport or passport card while trying to cross???

In the last several years I've crossed back into USA from Mexico 5 or 6 times with people in my vehicle without passports or passport cards and it wasn't a big deal at all.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,808
Just renewed

I just renewed and stuck with just the Passport Book. I don't travel that much out of the US over the 10 year period, so mine won't get all stamped full. Also, it is the regular document everyone expects.

When I travel I try to be as normal as possible. No fancy RFID cards, no Boarding pass on my iPhone and all of that. Conversely, I don't have my clothes in trash bags (I have seen this many times!). I dress business casual and I seem to be treated well and scrutinized less.

The last thing you want while traveling is having to explain how your RFID Card works to the person that controls your entry. Once the Passport RFID thing has been around for longer, I might consider it, but for the next 10 years, I'll stick with the standard Passport.

I did think about it and my decision was based on "What if I am in BFE and I need to get back home?" It wasn't worth the extra for the card, to me.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Did you double check? I thought it could be done at some of the international airports as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
Poop... I started the process of doing the Trusted Traveler on the CBP website and it says you have to have an interview at an American border... that does not sound feasible... poop!

I will just mail in the regular one... I have enough time and then I don't have to deal with it for another ten years.

Still waiting on my European prince...
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #23
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 786
I have both and i'll tell you why!
To go to baja you only need the passport ID card but to get airlifted back you need a passport.
Here in ecuador, before I got my Ecuadorian ID i carried a copy of my passport and entry visa but i also carried my Id card because it made it so easy to check into hotels and buy bus tickets without constant use of my passport copies.
Never once was asked for those.
Mike
ps. there are plenty of other stories here about getting to the southern end of Mexico and ending up in Costa Rica and you canno tdo that with a passport ID card
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #24
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
My reason for just using a conventional passport is I never know where I might decide to go. The card is too limiting, so in that context it is not a real passport. Unless you limit yourself to traveling in Canada, the US, Mexico, and the Caribbean, you need a real passport.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #25
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !

Ha Miguel!!!

THAT is a good point... you never know when you might meet your Costa Rican prince, either...

Seriously, I didn't think of the air lift thing... but, I don't know if I would be able to be airlifted anyhow, with no health insurance and all... guess I should check into catastrophic health insurance, including in Canada if I go.

The thing about coming back into the US is... just expect the worst and you may be pleasantly surprised...

After Glacier, I might take a run up to Banff and to visit a friend who is Canadian.

The idea of them not checking documents on EVERYONE coming back from Mexico is pretty disturbing...
were they riding in the trunk of your car?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !

And Steve, my closest airport that offers the interview is Dulles... which is five hours from here...
Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #27
KFhunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Serious question:

Do any of you USA citizens have the personal experience of being not allowed back into the USA because you didn't have a passport or passport card while trying to cross???

In the last several years I've crossed back into USA from Mexico 5 or 6 times with people in my vehicle without passports or passport cards and it wasn't a big deal at all.
Did the guys at the border know you had the "undocumented workers" in the car or did you have em stuffed in your trunk?

One of the benefits of being a USA Citizen is you'll ALWAYS be allowed back in the USA. If you don't have documents you'll undergo more scrutiny of course, receive a lecture about proper documents and may even be fingerprinted to verify your identity.

So make sure you got the right docs, and do not transport people w/o documents unless you got a lot of time to waste and don't mind being possibly charged with alien smuggling (if you hide them in your trunk like Strong Bad)
KFhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !

I have recieved my passport book and my passport card... and I have to say, I really like the card. Also, seems they have worked out a better system for the sleeve to protect the RFID card. It is paper inside and out.

I am going to keep the book on me in my luggage and carry the card in the wallet... if I go to Canada or Mexico this summer, it should work out. Nice to have an EXTRA photo id besides the DL.