Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
skidxr OP
Excuses

Oddometer: 364
Water Filter

Hello..

Have any of you tried one of these cheap water filters on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Mini-So...item256a3a7597
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
sure you want to trust your comfort to a device that only goes down to .3 microns? if youre back packing, or any other overnight trip? sawyer sells a three squeeze bottle set up that goes down to .1 micron- i think it comes in at, about 60$us. for whats it worth, i,ve heard enough stories about the pump handles breaking off to even consider that type of filtration set up for myown back country use. even if it could filter at .1microns!

the_gr8t_waldo screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:28 PM
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Cheep and Ebay are not things I want listed when looking for water filters.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I personally am not a fan of plastic parts on the pump handle. I would be worrying about it failing, or fatiguing after use. I suppose it also stands to sort out what you expect to use it for? Is this just something you plan to use once or twice, or is it something you intend to have around and you'll maybe someday depend your life on.

I have a Katadyn Pocket, its a little heavier, but should last forever if taken care of.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
GRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Agree that cheap + water filter = dumb. I've played in deep back country since I was a kid, clean water = life. I've packed MSR filters for about 20 years, and will continue to do so with confidence.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 885
Lifestraw: http://amzn.com/B006QF3TW4

I used one of these on my trek in Nepal and loved it. No boiling, no pills or chlorine taste.

Could probably rig up a straw to extend it or a siphon bulb with some tubing if you wanted to bottle some when you had the chance
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
2006 VStrom 1000 "Felaróf" - July 13th, 2013 (73,000 miles)
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,308
http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-PointOn...e+water+filter

As mentioned in second post.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 2,909
You can get a Katadyn hiker for about $60. I'd rather spend twice the money to get a filter from a reputable manufacturer than take a gamble on cheap Chinese-made Fleabay crap. The problem with those kinds of filters is with quality control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
sure you want to trust your comfort to a device that only goes down to .3 microns? if youre back packing, or any other overnight trip? sawyer sells a three squeeze bottle set up that goes down to .1 micron- i think it comes in at, about 60$us. for whats it worth, i,ve heard enough stories about the pump handles breaking off to even consider that type of filtration set up for myown back country use. even if it could filter at .1microns!
What do you expect to gain from going from a 0.3 to a 0.1 micron filter? A 0.3 micron filter is fine for filtering human pathogens, with the exception of viruses. However, a 0.1 micron filter won't filter out viruses either. Although a 0.1 micron filter sounds good... in fact, three times better than a 0.3 micron filter, practically it doesn't really make a difference. It does, however, make pumping slower and increases the rate of filter clogging.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,049
^^^ You are quite right.And I'll also listen to my sister. After all she has seen enough pathogens viruses etc etc through a microscope in 30+ years to know a thing or two.

She travels with a 0.3 Micron filter and not a cheapo chinee then kills the viruses by other means. Two steps process, they are out there, got lots on that with a quick google search.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
QSrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
If you like the principle of the pump system, here is the link of the one I've been using for quite some times now (US and Central/South America).
http://www.campmor.com/first-need-xl...=%7Bkeyword%7D

Before that one, I had tried several different models. Some where as good as filtering the water, but the flow was horrible. It took too long and too much effort to make a gallon...
With it, I have filtered red Southern Utah creek water into clear good tasting water with no problem.
I highly recommend it.

The UV lights are good to kill bacteria, but they won't help you with the mud.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
letterofmarque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I'm a backpacker and it seems like most people have the right idea from my experience. I used to always use a pump, and I still have one that is from the company now known as Katadyn. However, recently I've started to shift down to ultralight and I made a small change. I've got a steripen and I use a camelbak pre-filter to get everything into my bottle. Check out the pre-filter at REI. I don't own any other camelbak products, and it works great. Also weighs next to nothing. I would recommend bringing a backup in the form for water purification though as if your primary goes out you can really be screwed. I carry portable aqua tablets just in case. I've only had to use them once, but I can't tell you how glad I was to have them.
letterofmarque is offline   Reply With Quote