User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #121
bbrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Pissed

I grew up with and always had rice burners. My first euro bike is a Ducati S2R 800. Fits my riding style very well.
Maint. costs are one of the things that scare riders away. Why? Do you not maintain whatever cycle that you have?
The 7500 MI valve inspection is just that. An inspection! Adjustment? Maybe. Belt replacement every 2 yrs. or 15000
mi? Well my '07 has 6700 on the ODO. Should I have done the belts 3 times?
All that I am saying is it is in fact a machine that may very well need some sort of care, as any machine does.
Ducati cycles have faults yes, but does not EVERY bike have those also?
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #122
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
AFAIK, Termignonis are accepted Ducati accessories and don't negate the warranty. Check up on this, and when/if you get an exhaust make sure it's running with a good fuel / air ratio so you don't risk engine damage.
That would make sense. They have quite a few bikes on the showroom floor at times with Termi's. I know they sell a LOT of them. I'll probably end up with a set eventually.....

As far as the maintenance thing goes, I did the valves on my wee strom this fall. Can't be more of a PITA than that!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #123
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I have the new one, and have seen quite a bit about some "lean fueling" issue. Is this just the stock fuel mapping to pass emissions stuff? I'm not going to spend money on exhaust (at least for now), but I could get an air filter and computer tuning if it is warranted. I would imagine I will decide after I put a few miles on it. C'mon SPRING!!
Mine runs on the lean side, no issue though. edit: it's a 2012 Monster 795, basically a 796 engine in a 696 frame.
I also still use the stock exhaust. I thought about buying Termis but everyone told me that the performance improvement is not big and not noticeable, and that it's mostly for sound (and it's lighter than stock). Although some say that it also makes the engine runs smoother, but since I have no problem with how the engine runs now, I figure $1700 only for sound is too expensive, so I keep the stock exhaust.... for now
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #124
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Maint. costs are one of the things that scare riders away... ...Belt replacement every 2 yrs. or 15000mi? Well my '07 has 6700 on the ODO. Should I have done the belts 3 times?...
Technically yes - the belt change specification is 15,000 (used to be 12,000) or 2 years - whichever is the sooner.

The reason being, the rubber belts will deteriorate, and if left for a long period, can form a kink or stress point where they go around each pulley.

Admittedly the problem is not as pronounced as it is with the 4V Desmo engines, and I'm sure plenty of people (including myself) do not strictly adhere to the time schedue - let's face it, a chunky rubber belt like that is going to have a huge margin/half life built in...

However, if your bike is now six years old and never had the belts done, it probably is time to get them changed!!! - it's not that expensive (or you can do it yourself in you know the procedure), and worth it for peace of mind? If a belt does snap, the engine is basically lunched - valves into pistons etc. and THAT is expensive!

Jx

ps. I agree, I think the S2R 800 is the nicest combination of specification for the previous generation Monster.
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #125
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:

Call me crazy,
Congratulations! I usually do a semi annual ride to south Missouri - northern Arkansas ride, always welcome.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #126
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Yup, I see more HD's here than all other makes put together.
Ride to Indy or south to Austin for a Moto GP, then head over to Ducati Island. Your people are there, welcome home.

bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #127
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFarmer View Post
Congratulations! I usually do a semi annual ride to south Missouri - northern Arkansas ride, always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Ride to Indy or south to Austin for a Moto GP, then head over to Ducati Island. Your people are there, welcome home.
Welcome home...

The DucOmaha guys do a big ride out to the Indy GP. I LOVE Austin, and a trip to the GP there would be great.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #128
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
I'm glad this tread is going. My gf is thinking about a M696. It seems like a nice machine.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #129
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
I'm glad this tread is going. My gf is thinking about a M696. It seems like a nice machine.

Cool! What is she riding now?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #130
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,753
Quote:

Thats what my wife rides, she loves it!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #131
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Cool! What is she riding now?
She's on a 2006 ninja 250. It's been a great bike but she wants something prettier ever since I picked up an SMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Thats what my wife rides, she loves it!
Great to hear! Did you do any mods to lower it, make it comfier, add luggage?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #132
Suncountry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm probably a little late but I sold my S2R 800 this fall. It was my first bike after being away from riding for about 25 years. It was a really fun, well handling bike. I hope I didn't make a mistake. Anyway I will be getting a new Hyperstrada this spring. I still might get an older Monster later on down the road just for fun.
Suncountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #133
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
I see about two per year in my area.
You hang out with the wrong people then! They are out there.

I've seen three in my subdivision alone, though two of them belong to one guy. I see at least two BEVEL Ducatis each year fer cripe sakes, not including shows and events. And of course I see one or seven each day at home, but I suppose they don't count.

As for running smoothly at low rpm, some are better than others. My 796 Hyper runs great at anything above a walking pace. It's 100% stock. I've heard some of the newer four valve stuff is pretty bad.

A few things you can do to fix that without changing the exhaust is to install matched injectors, change the gearing (larger rear or smaller front), and have the ECU reflashed by someone who knows what they're doing.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #134
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,224
There's a nice clean M1000S for sale now in Western Canada.

My wife got the Monster bug with her M695, rode the wheels off it for a few years and jumped to the M1000. Great bike, but simply lacks the fuel range she needs for long solo rides in the Western US. Hers is setup nicely for touring using Cortech soft bags on the rear and a Bags-Connection tank bag.

With the Guzzi V7s now coming with a 5.8 gal tank, she's likely to head in that direction for long distance riding. I think she will sorely miss the awesome motor in that 1000 though...
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #135
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,753
Quote:

Great to hear! Did you do any mods to lower it, make it comfier, add luggage?
The PO had bags already for it so we're good, no lower no more need for comfort she good and right like rain!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is online now   Reply With Quote