Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #46
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of You ADV View Post
I've been an ADV member for many many years and I've met real friends here..
Um...2 years, according to your "join date".

Is that one "many" for each year?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #47
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Luxury Lite Cot

Have one and like it. I can never seem to find a camp site that is flat. The cot puts you off the undulating ground. If there is a high spot (or low spot) the cot takes them out of the equation. Packs small, relatively light. I am thinking about adding 1 or 2 more cross pieces.
dantroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #48
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
Consider a Hennessy or eagle nest outfitters hammock, put a thermarest pad between your bag and the hammock and you'll sleep like a baby.

I'm an avid ultralight backpacker and hunter, I camp and hunt off my motorcycle. A hammock is a really good camping solution, it's lightweight (under 3 lbs) durable and above all else, comfortable! I did 6 days on foot last month and slept in a hammock every night, I never had any back problems from sleeping. If you're worried about rain there's a simple solution for that to. Run a line of cord between the tree's your hammock is attached to. Throw a tarp over the cord and stake the center and edges, voila you now have a rainfly.

If a hammock isn't feasible, I really like tarptent solutions. I like the contrail because it's just big enough and only weigh 1 1/2 lbs.

I'm probably going hunting from my bike this weekend, if some replacement gear shows up. I'll post pics of my set up and camp site when I get a chance. My longest trip so far with the hammock has been 13 days, I can't tell you how nice it is to wake up well rested and pain free. I actually prefer my hammock to my bed at home.

I've never tried those warbonnet hammocks, but the principal is the same and I'll bet you cash they are comfy. Are you camping off your bike or will you be doing some hiking?
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #49
klr650goldwing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Get a foldup cot. I've used one for about 30 years and I sleep better in my tent than I do at home. Cabella's has a very good one for about $40. Get one that folds up compact so you can strap it onto your luggage rack. I put a foam pad on top of my cot, but that isn't critical to a good night of sleep, getting off the ground and all the lumps is the most important aspect of good night of sleep.
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #50
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Cool2 Modern Medicine

If you are in a safe place pop a few strong sleeping pills and a wear a dark soft sleep mask. It makes the most uncomfortable place quite tolerable. From airplanes to trains. I never leave anywhere without them. Of course earplugs are a must also if you are in a noisy place. I've traveled the world and those three items will give the best sleep even if there is no proper place to sleep. Safe Travels.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
Simple.
I'm Special

Oddometer: 530
This is a great thread. That pakmat sounds perfect for my needs. One day I decided to head to the nearest big box store which happened to be a target, and I picked up an inflatable pool lounge chair for $5 just to get through the next night. I just got sick of laying on the ground the previous night and couldnt sleep. That lounge chair/mat lasted 2 nights in TN and I threw it in the nearest trash can when I was on the way home. It actually worked ok, but it went flat on the third night and my brother that was about 30ft away in a different tent said it was super loud all night.

Im ordering the pakmat tomorrow. The $5 pool mat showed me I can sleep on the ground with comfort, but if you fart wrong you'll pop a hole in it. I like the pump/storage container for it too. Cant find many negative reviews on it either.

Jon
Simple. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #52
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Great thread!

I've been using a Therm-a-rest for years but my aging bones have been thinking about a thicker pad. Sounds like the progression most of us go through.
And by the way I just ordered the surplus folding Belgian cot I saw on another thread. Looked good to me at a great price

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1145796
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #53
charlesdarwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hammocks only work where there are trees. Try the Thermarest Neoaire X-lite, very compact, good R-value, durable, light, expensive.
charlesdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #54
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,560
I use a $12 Walmart air bed. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Viny...-Twin/20449350 It's big, 8.75" thick, and super comfortable. I carry a small blanket to put over the top for insulation and it has been fine down to 35 degrees. Weighs in at just over 5 lbs. To pack I deflate it, fold it in half, the roll it up with the blanket, quick and easy. To inflate I carry a little 12V fan type inflator with a cig lighter plug.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote