Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #961
WSikorski
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,504
What Cablebandit said...all of the available racks are set up to give the passenger a little more room. If you want forward placement, custom is likely your only option.
WSikorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #962
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,215
Back to a question about those secondary flies . I had done a similar procedure to my ST1300, no problem so I decided to take a look at what lurks under my tank. I haven't done any work to the Connie, just ride it, so this was new to me. I lifted up the tank thinking I would have good access to the flies but then found the rubber covered airbox with the 2 access panels. I opened one (with the electrical connection) and indeed see the flies done there but they do seem to present more access difficulty than I imagined. Am I supposed to removed more?? And the flies were partly opened and would move when I turn the ignition key, is there a good way to make them stay in a better position where I can get the JIS on them? Thanks, pardon my ignorance.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #963
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
A long screw driver fits right in there. It's a straight shot.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #964
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 322
My Flies were partly open when I got to them too.... just pushed them shut and use a good screwdriver you have magnetized first

It's not as hard as I expected to actually get the tank completely removed, then there is no issue with access
Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #965
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Back to a question about those secondary flies . I had done a similar procedure to my ST1300, no problem so I decided to take a look at what lurks under my tank. I haven't done any work to the Connie, just ride it, so this was new to me. I lifted up the tank thinking I would have good access to the flies but then found the rubber covered airbox with the 2 access panels. I opened one (with the electrical connection) and indeed see the flies done there but they do seem to present more access difficulty than I imagined. Am I supposed to removed more?? And the flies were partly opened and would move when I turn the ignition key, is there a good way to make them stay in a better position where I can get the JIS on them? Thanks, pardon my ignorance.
I recently went through this. If you read online, people want you to heat the screws up, etc, etc. I say it is BS.

What I did is acquire this JIS set online:
http://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-5-JI.../dp/B005NIZAYK

Rocked the tank back and strapped it back. I believe I ubolted the inspection plates on the airbox. I used the long JIS screwdrive which was a perfect fit for the butterflies. The screws only have about 10lb ft of torque tops. I also made sure I had a telescoping magnet in the throttlebody at the same time as the screwdriver. It was easy! Maybe 15 minutes work if you can get through the tupperware. I slapped on a pipe, powercommander and a new map. Voila!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #966
barko1
barko1

Thanks for the flies replies I have the JIS screwdrivers and tried but they were super tight so I let it be for now Maye I'll do the reflash.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #967
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
This might be a stupid question, but what does JIS stand for? It looks like a standard pbillips to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #968
barko1
barko1

JIS Japanese Industrial Standard Should fit Jap parts better.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #969
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
JIS Japanese Industrial Standard Should fit Jap parts better.
Thanks Barko.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #970
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Phillips on the left JIS on the right.

IBA #33260
Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #971
cognosticator
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Thanks for the flies replies I have the JIS screwdrivers and tried but they were super tight so I let it be for now Maye I'll do the reflash.
I think they use red loctite on them, mine were a bitch to get off until I heated them up with a pencil type soldering iron. I had bought a real long phillips and filed the end to a point. Poor mans JIS
Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you
cognosticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #972
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Seems like only a couple per shift at the C14 plant got the loctite. My 2010 had none. They were tight but a little downward pressure and a smooth turn and they backed right out clean as a whistle.
IBA #33260
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #973
sailandcrash
n00b

Oddometer: 2
more FJ C14 from new C14 owner

I had a 2007 V-Strom DL650 for a year, put 10k miles on it. Rode it from Tulsa to Oklahoma City, 95 miles.
When I got there, I wanted to throw it in a bar ditch and take a bus home.
Too light, too buzzy.Seemed like a dirt bike with street tires. Great in town commuter bike.
I read of two up with gear that do cross country and I am amazed!!!
Bought a FJR1300 from a little girl in Tulsa that had rode it to Alaska and lots of national parks.
Great bike. Kept it three years and put 30k troublefree fun miles on it.
when you get it above 5000 rpm, make sure there is no one in front of you!! What a rush....
Did have one problem with the clutch flluid, it clabbered up and would not shift. Maintenance issue.
Bought a 2011 Concours in January this year, 4k miles, for $10,500.
Nice bike. that is about the going price if you look.
Some + and some - with the C14 compared to the FJ. Some hard to adjust to, smaller tank, weird displays, etc.
I added a charger connector to the battery and could not find a way to exit the battery compartment
without having to slightly bend the plastic cover. Compartment is sealed very well. Probably need to notch the cover.
My battery readout on the display reads low by about half a volt. Not very accurate. already had tire battery replaced under warranty. great warranty!!! Hope it will be a little better for road trips. Will take some getting used to......
Richard
Broken Arrow, Okla
sailandcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #974
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
S&C,

You have a really nice thing going for $10.5k!

I too worked though some "uniqueness" of the C14, and since I didn't release the funds for a BMW GT1600, I have a ton of patience and don't mind attitude.

2012 Concours 1400 (an adventuring bike!)

My one and only ride report . . . Iron Butt Association member 50689
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #975
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,148
I've had my C14 for just over 4 years now. I've put about 13,000 miles on it, and am looking to sell it this sping. Looking to get about 9k out of it.

Then, I take it out for a ride. Dang it.. I love this bike.

Have you guys ever sold a bike then regretted it?

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote