Here we go, looks legit:

Pierer Industrie AG acquires Husqvarna Motorcycles
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #1772
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post

Hmmm. Good for Husky, but maybe bad for KTM?

KTM has plenty of good people in place, (DeCoster and Everts for MX/SX, Burleson running the US program) but will they still be able to push without that (local) support? At first I read Beirer (Pit) which is the driving force behind the racing scene so it's good to know that he's not disappearing but this will be an interesting shake up nonetheless...
silentwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #1773
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,005
Some interesting comments from an interview with Pierer from December.

Quote:
Q: Speaking of a second place and coming back to the question on your battle with BMW, the Husqvarna acquisition, how are you looking at that and do you think it is going to make a big difference as far as your photo finish with BMW is concerned?

A: If you are running several brands within a group it is more difficult compared to a single brand company like KTM. For us it is much easier coming from off-road and going on-road because we are focusing on one brand. If you are splitting your resources in different brands, it is difficult. Especially if you don't have the close linkage to that segment, to that customer then you are struggling.

Q: So, do you believe Husqvarna may be on the block, up for sale again anytime soon?

A: Anything can happen.

Q: Wouldn't you be a buyer if that were to be the case?

A: Based on our market share, we have to think about it. Its a European brand, its a Scandinavian brand. We still have a brand in our group, it is unknown outside of Europe. It is the former spin-off of Husqvarna when Husqvarna was sold in the late 80s. They had created this spin-off. We bought that company in 1994. Meanwhile, this was integrated in KTM with a different styling with a different colour, but using a lot of platform components and therefore, it is very successful. It is already half the size of Husqvarna.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #1774
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
I must know more what is in stefans mind !!!!! Rajiv Bajaj

http://videos.moneycontrol.com/web18...ajaj_31jan.mp4

copy paste VLC
Code:

http://videos.moneycontrol.com/web18/mc-vods/2013Jan/ibh_rajivbajaj_31jan.mp4

Baja sells now kawasaki ninja.
they stop with that?
Kawasaki is not for sale,...................

Myway screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 01:11 PM
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #1775
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
http://videos.moneycontrol.com/web18...ajaj_31jan.mp4

copy paste VLC
Code:

http://videos.moneycontrol.com/web18/mc-vods/2013Jan/ibh_rajivbajaj_31jan.mp4

Baja sells now kawasaki ninja.
they stop with that?
Kawasaki is not for sale,...................
nice video find, the chick really knows her bikes
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #1776
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
So, according to that email, Husky will remain part of the larger KTM org. So the idea of Pierer Industries doing their own thing with the brand is lost? If I heard the Bajaj fellow correctly, it sounds like they want to position KTM/Husaberg as the premium brands and Husky as the VW equivalent. "The People's Bike"!!!

I guess time will tell how that goes...

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #1777
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
The plot thickens:

Interview with Peirer

Nieuwsmotor: Why Husqvarna when, with Husaberg, you already have a similar marque?

Stefan Pierer: We think that with Husqvarna, theres a specific niche to tackle. With this brand, we want to focus on competing with Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. Wed like to move the brand to selling 10,000 units per year, then continue watching. For that, Husqvarna needs to go back to its roots, its strayed too far.

The brand has a wonderful history, but a completely wrong model lineup and is on completely the wrong track. The dealer network was not ready to sell two-cylinder street models.

We will work with Husqvarna to go back to its origins. Well soon be back in motocross and then in supermoto, both sports in which Husqvarna previously dominated. Within the next year, we will make an appropriate motorcycle developed with the specifications and character Husqvarna needs.

So at first I thought that Peirer would leave KTM and resurrect Husky, seems that was wrong and KTM are indeed buying the Swedish brand. Did I hear someone say homogenization of offroad bikes?
Bummer.

And of course that leaves SpeedBrain out in the cold, it sounds like Peirer wants Husky to focus on MX and supermoto
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #1778
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
So, according to that email, Husky will remain part of the larger KTM org. So the idea of Pierer Industries doing their own thing with the brand is lost? If I heard the Bajaj fellow correctly, it sounds like they want to position KTM/Husaberg as the premium brands and Husky as the VW equivalent. "The People's Bike"!!!

I guess time will tell how that goes...
What email?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #1779
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
What email?
HAHA! Good catch! I meant video... email = video... LOL!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #1780
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,016
Quote:

And of course that leaves SpeedBrain out in the cold,

Or did the KTM factory team just get a whole lot bigger ?

Coma, Despres, Barreda, Speedy, Quinn, etc......

A big FU to HRC ?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #1781
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Or did the KTM factory team just get a whole lot bigger ?

Coma, Despres, Barreda, Speedy, Quinn, etc......

A big FU to HRC ?
I've asked a few of them, Speedbrain and the riders are contracted to BMW Motorad through 2014. They plan to release the TE449RR, or whatever it will end up being called, as a homologated race bike for public sale similar to the 450 Rally Replica. The plan is to rebrand the bike a BMW since that is really what it started out as anyway.

Beyond 2014, who knows. That interview and BMW's presser sure make it sound as if BMW wanted out of the hardcore dirt market so what would be the purpose of continuing with a Dakar team? My expectation is that they will hastily rebrand the bike as BMW for the remainder of 2013 and for Dakar 2014 with a Speedbrain massaged version of the Husky 450 (which essentially was the BMW/Kymco 450) and when contracts are up, Speedbrain either continues on their own with the bike (since they control most of the engineering data rights) a la Bordone-Ferrari or they link up with another manufacturer. Beyond contractual obligations, I don't see BMW continuing along that path. What would they have to gain?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1782
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
My expectation is that they will hastily rebrand the bike as BMW for the remainder of 2013 and for Dakar 2014 with a Speedbrain massaged version of the Husky 450 (which essentially was the BMW/Kymco 450) and when contracts are up, Speedbrain either continues on their own with the bike (since they control most of the engineering data rights) a la Bordone-Ferrari or they link up with another manufacturer. Beyond contractual obligations, I don't see BMW continuing along that path. What would they have to gain?

+1

maybe Speedbrain by KYMCO...??? What a spectacular way for an Asian marque to break into the game...

they could piggyback/synergise the thing off the CCM/Kymco project perhaps?

Wouldn't that put a ding in JengChings little red wagon (re-stickered for Dakar) tactics...?

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #1783
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,016
Thanks Doyle

Speedbrain Kymco.....now wouldn't that be something

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #1784
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

Wouldn't that put a ding in JengChings little red wagon (re-stickered for Dakar) tactics...?

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 09:42 PM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #1785
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
The plot thickens:

Interview with Peirer

Nieuwsmotor: Why Husqvarna when, with Husaberg, you already have a similar marque?

Stefan Pierer: We think that with Husqvarna, theres a specific niche to tackle. With this brand, we want to focus on competing with Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. Wed like to move the brand to selling 10,000 units per year, then continue watching. For that, Husqvarna needs to go back to its roots, its strayed too far.

The brand has a wonderful history, but a completely wrong model lineup and is on completely the wrong track. The dealer network was not ready to sell two-cylinder street models.

We will work with Husqvarna to go back to its origins. Well soon be back in motocross and then in supermoto, both sports in which Husqvarna previously dominated. Within the next year, we will make an appropriate motorcycle developed with the specifications and character Husqvarna needs.

So at first I thought that Peirer would leave KTM and resurrect Husky, seems that was wrong and KTM are indeed buying the Swedish brand. Did I hear someone say homogenization of offroad bikes?
Bummer.

And of course that leaves SpeedBrain out in the cold, it sounds like Peirer wants Husky to focus on MX and supermoto
Actually I read this as Off-Road, not just MX. The Dakar is on a lot of OUR minds, but not nesc. the general public, so his comments might have reflected that. Perhaps Husky has never been 'the' title contender in Dakar, but it's always been off road and I have to guess he's reflecting on this.

As BMW 'can't honor' their obligations, SpeedBrain contracts could be 'adjusted' like so many contracts I've seen. Though I suspect they'll keep working with the 449 for the next couple years whether it stays Husky or BMW. If the engineering rights are really theirs, it could be interesting to see what they did as an independent too...

As for Husaberg, it was sad to see the homologation, but they needed something to stay alive. The way Pierer talks, I can't see that he wants to turn Husky into another 'Berg. From the sound of the actual money being moved around, he's in charge, and KTM will be involved, but they are keeping things seperate. More like a Toyota/Yamaha motor technology collaboration in the end perhaps?

Guess I'm just hopeful...
silentwolf is online now   Reply With Quote