Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #46
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the guy who can go coast to coast without touching the chain. No lubing, no adjustment , no mess.

I have done just this on my 30 year old XV920 yamaha. The chain runs inside it's case swimming in a liquid grease as happy as can be, paying no attention to miles, dirt, or rain.

All these modern ugly by design bikes would be better for an enclosed chain. I'm talking Versys, V-Strom ,Tiger 800 etc.

Just get a SHAFTY and have done with it
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #47
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
Just get a SHAFTY and have done with it
You'r kidding, right? Without complex, heavy and expensive designs shaft drives have negative effects on handling. Many makes of shaft driven bikes also have a rather high incidence of failure somewhere in the system. They are also heavier, much more complex and a good deal more expensive to manufacture and repair when and if they do have a problem. I prefer chain drive for this very reason. A properly maintained and inspected chain has a very low failure rate out on the road because with just a few seconds spent on inspection you can catch a problem before it fails, whereas with a shaft drive you usually get no warning until the damage is done and you're left with a disabled bike needing an expensive and lengthy repair.

IMO, the longevity of the enclosed chain would be even better by combining the advantages of both, other than the fact that you can't inspect it for wear as easily as with an exposed chain. Still much cheaper and easier to replace if the need ever arises though. Then again, when kept clean and well lubricated, as in an enclosed system design, they will last a very long time with absolutely no servicing.

On another subject of this thread, the use of used cooking oil as a fuel, I just saw a news story on tv about a program that was using it as home heating oil for low income families. Wonder what that news will do to the supply of "free" fuel?

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #48
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

IMO, the longevity of the enclosed chain would be even better by combining the advantages of both, other than the fact that you can't inspect it for wear as easily as with an exposed chain. Still much cheaper and easier to replace if the need ever arises though. Then again, when kept clean and well lubricated, as in an enclosed system design, they will last a very long time with absolutely no servicing.

Agree with all your points, but inspection may be over-rated.
This is my XV in Canada in 2011 on it's way home via Mexico. The bike is 32 years old and the chain in the case is the O.E.M. original.There is a sticker on the case that says to replace the chain at 30,000 though I've heard of others getting 50,000 from a chain.Another thing is the replacement will be cheap because it's specified a non O-ring chain.
Mine now has 35,000 and I'm going to replace it for peace of mind.

And Pigford, shafts are for Guzzi's Beemer twins and cars.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #49
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:

Agree with all your points, but inspection may be over-rated..
I like that pic. You can almost smell the damp pine.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #50
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:

Agree with all your points, but inspection may be over-rated.
This is my XV in Canada in 2011 on it's way home via Mexico. The bike is 32 years old and the chain in the case is the O.E.M. original.There is a sticker on the case that says to replace the chain at 30,000 though I've heard of others getting 50,000 from a chain.Another thing is the replacement will be cheap because it's specified a non O-ring chain.
Mine now has 35,000 and I'm going to replace it for peace of mind.

Yeah. I was referring primarily to normal exposed chain drive systems when I mentioned inspections. It takes about 3 seconds to bend down and check the chain tension. Adjustments are required on occasion, but by keeping track of how much you have adjusted it and keeping an eye on the wear rate and sprocket teeth it's pretty simple to know when it should be replaced. Not so with a shaft system. You have no idea how healthy it is until it fails. Just do a search for "BMW final drive failure" if your unfamiliar with this phenomenon. Of course other manufacturers have had issue too. For example, here's a good thread about the Guzzi CARC system... Yep, a chain is so much easier, and cheaper, to deal with.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #51
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 927
Quote:

I agree 100% = It was irony

I think a fully enclosed chain looks shite...... as stated in the post above, decent X-ring chains can last 10's of thousands of miles if oiled regulary, so why have all the crap tinware making a bike more akin to a car Save it for the little commuter bikes
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #52
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
That's already the case in many places. Around here restaurants are starting to lock their outdoor grease containers.

Yeah.....the days of restaurants giving away fryer oil have been gone for a while. It's an idea from 10 years ago that was great while it lasted for some people but over time the market has fixed that for everyone. Lots of people invested a lot of money in home separation/filtering, extra tanks, and the other stuff to do it right.
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote