Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #31
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD View Post
DISCLAIMER: I run a fleet of these

I agree with pretty much what everyone said and add the following:

Comparing 2008 and 2009+ frame: 2009+ frame is stiffer, etc. but both are still big and heavy and will float at more extreme conditions that might be a walk in the park for a typical ST bike. If your using it to log on the miles in comfort, there are NO differences in terms of comfort between the two. 2009+ frames are longer and more stable at higher speed (90MPH+) but suffers when in manuvering around tight parking lots. The extra length on the 2009+ models are all in the neck and frame and none at the seat.

Comparing Roadking to ElectraGlide: Roadking has a lower and forward handlebar. While the ElectraGlide has a higher and rear-swept handlebar. Comfort and preference are up to the individuals. Those with longer arms and preference for the ST styles seating might prefer the RK more.

Comparing RoadGlide to ElectraGlide: I dislike the RG fairing. HD has redesigned the RG fairing numerous times due to buffeting and vibration issues. The RG fairing, while larger than the EG and frame mounted, is also more forward with some weird aerodynamic design. Most RG owner end up changing out to aftermarket windshields like Klockwerks fix the problem. Most RG will have fairing rattle problem.

ElectraGlide Classic/Ultra/Limited. There are three models to choose from. The Classic is the value leader. No bells/whistles but still comes with radio and tourpak. This is the one to get if you are on a budget. Add the popular options like ABS and cruise you're still thousands below the Ultra. Ultra is a Classic with intercom, CB, lowers, cruise, and extra tourpak lights. The limited has all the bells and whistles. With the exception of ABS, almost every one of the options can be purchased and installed by the user and/or dealer.

ElectraGlide Police : If you don't care for the radio, this might be the one to get. Some dealers will have one or two as leftover orders that they can sell to civilians. They will remove all the police-specific items like lights and siren but leave most of the parts and wiring in. It has a better seat although most dealers replace them with regular seat for civilian sale. ABS standard, no frills paint, and about $1-2K cheaper than a classic!

What do I ride? I ride the Classic for long distance with the wife. The Street Glide for HOG meeting and rallies. The Buell if I want to carve the corners.
Disclaimer or not - great post
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #32
Deans BMW OP
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,065
ERD, agreed a great post and the most informative yet. I have yet to ride either the new Road Kings or the EG Classic, but I will soon.

Thanks everyone for the great replys.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #33
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
ERD, agreed a great post and the most informative yet. I have yet to ride either the new Road Kings or the EG Classic, but I will soon.

Thanks everyone for the great replys.
Keep in mind that the handle bars and seats are easy to change around on the HD touring motorcycles, and especially on the Road Kings and Road Glides, because of no faring requiring extra wide-at-the-base handle bars. ERD's post doesn't really mention that. It is a good post otherwise.

Point is, if you are moved by a particular HD touring motorcycle, but find a different HD touring motorcycle to fit better, it's very easy to make one fit like the other. Find the HD that speaks to your soul, find the HD that speaks to your comfort, and make the 1st fit like the 2nd. It's easy, not that expensive, and gets you the HD your heart says you want, without compromising comfort.

(Personally, I have a Road King. Have two different seats for different uses, One handle bar, BUT have different risers I use for different seats. The risers are a little-known secret on the Road Kings requiring an inexpensive trim piece to allow. The batwing bikes don't allow that because the faring is in the way. Not sure about the Road Glide, but think it might allow different risers.)

Get the HD you want, and then make it the HD you need it to be.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote