ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #6826
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Emoto
The points were added using the route 'Insert' tool. So by most people's definition, these would be considered route shaping points. IMO any point used to tailor a route is considered a via-point. It could be a point placed on a road as a shaping point or a series of way-points strung together or a combination of both. But the total can't be more than 51 which includes both the Start & End points.
daryl
No, this is not correct. Re-read post #6802 above. Shaping points, when supported by the device, are NOT part of the allowable total of 51 via points; you can have hundreds. Waypoints or POI's used as points ARE subject to the 51 point limit. It's Garmin's use of these conventions that we need to understand, not our own. Unfortunately these conventions ARE different from one device to another, and so we must understand just how they are used and the limitations on OUR OWN device.

BAD GARMIN!!! GO LIE DOWN!!!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #6827
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
You're welcome. I wonder what happens if you have "rubber-banded" those points into place.
Take the files and modify them as you wish. Remove points and add them back or add more. As you know you can keep track of the via-point total in BC using the route's property window.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #6828
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
You're welcome. I wonder what happens if you have "rubber-banded" those points into place.
I believe that's what Daryl DID use. As opposed to the "Insert" button in the Route Properties window. If you use that, the only insertion choice you get is Waypoints.

I sometimes wonder if even a Mensa could really understand the byzantine nature of Garmin's new devices. I sure as hell can't.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #6829
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
I found out that the Montana will freeze or take a long time to catch up so that it is not usable if you increase the Details setting and drive into the city. Seems like there is just too much things to load and it just freeze. As soon as I get out of the city with less roads and businesses it will work fine again. Is this the same for everyone else?
Firmware 470 was just released yesterday and is supposed to improve this behavior :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #6830
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Firmware 470 was just released yesterday and is supposed to improve this behavior :)
Oh God, not AGAIN!??!? What will be the glitches THIS time? EMMBEEDEE and Atlas, you're up!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #6831
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

never mind...
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #6832
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Oh God, not AGAIN!??!? What will be the glitches THIS time? EMMBEEDEE and Atlas, you're up!
For starters, Bug 28 was reported to be solved, but I still see the same behavior on my Montana 650 with v470. How about you?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #6833
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
What defines an earlier unit? Do you have a serial number range or something?
There likely is a serial number range but I have never seen it published. Is yours causing you problems?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #6834
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
What defines an earlier unit? Do you have a serial number range or something?
If your GPSr supports USB Mass Storage Mode, and you can view internal folder and file structure, you have a newer unit :)
Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #6835
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
What, you mean we're the guinea pigs? Okelydokely!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #6836
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
how does one ascertain the age of a unit in a shop?If i buy one from a local shop i want it to be a NEW one not an old NIB one
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #6837
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
I believe that's what Daryl DID use. As opposed to the "Insert" button in the Route Properties window. If you use that, the only insertion choice you get is Waypoints.

I sometimes wonder if even a Mensa could really understand the byzantine nature of Garmin's new devices. I sure as hell can't.
I couldn't agree more!

In BC, If you right click on a via point in a route's property window, a drop down list will appear that will allow you to change its property to ‘Alert On Arrival’ or ‘Don’t Alert on Arrival (Shaping Point)’. Not all gps support non announcement of shaping points. It would appear that the Montana doesn't. and thus treats them as way-points, The 62s doesn't as well, but I think some Nuvi's do. That's why you see the Blue Flags when the route loads.

I feel like I've beat this horse enough for one day.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 02:05 PM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #6838
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,458
Quote:
Emoto

Thanx!

That's what I see on my 62s. The route with 51 via-points will load, the route with 52 will not. The routes were made using Basecamp. The routes should be the same except for one via-point being added. Keep in mind, the effort was some what rushed. The route via-point details can be seen in the route property window in BC

The points were added using the route 'Insert' tool. So by most people's definition, these would be considered route shaping points. IMO any point used to tailor a route is considered a via-point. It could be a point placed on a road as a shaping point or a series of way-points strung together or a combination of both.

daryl
A little primary on the frustrating Garmin language:

POI - A formal Point Of Interest. An entry in the internal POI database with a name, location and usually other information associated with it.

Waypoint - Any arbitrary point on the map that you have designated you want to keep track of. Usually stored in the "Favorites" or "My Locations" or whatever your personal navigation device calls its waypoint storage database. Your device will usually allow you to store such things as the location, any arbitrary name you want to supply and other information such as address, phone number, category(ies) and a symbol/icon to be used when displaying it.

Via Point - A point used to create a multipoint route, e.g. Go from Point A to Point B via some other arbitrary point(s) that you will designate. If your personal navigation device supports multipoint routing, the via point can be a POI, an existing waypoint/favorite or any other form of location that is searchable on your device, e.g. address, intersection/junction, custom POI, etc. In most cases, to use something as a via point it must already exist in one of the devices' searchable databases.

Shaping Point - In Mapsource, to "shape" a route to go exactly where you want there are a couple of methods. Just as with the personal navigation device, you can edit the route's properties to insert Via points (these are not shaping points although they do serve a similar purpose). You can also just use the route tool to click on spots on the map to force the shape of a route. When you do that, you are using a location that is not already in one of the searchable location databases. Mapsource does not force you to add these points to any of the formal databases. It simply inserts the actual coordinates invisibly into the route. These are shaping points.

Shaping points occur in another, automatic, fashion as well. Even when you only designate a two-point route, e.g. go from Point A to Point B, there will usually be multiple places, usually intersections, where a change in direction is required. When building the route, the personal navigation device (or Mapsource/Basecamp) will automatically include all of these points in the route.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #6839
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,458
Quote:
I couldn't agree more!

In BC, If you right click on a via point in a route's property window, a drop down list will appear that will allow you to change its property to ‘Alert On Arrival’ or ‘Don’t Alert on Arrival (Shaping Point)’. Not all gps support non announcement of shaping points. It would appear that the Montana doesn't. and thus treats them as way-points, The 62s doesn't as well, but I think some Nuvi's do. That's why you see the Blue Flags when the route loads.

I feel like I've beat this horse enough for one day.

daryl
Nope, changing the property of a via point to non alert does not convert it into a shaping point. It's merely a non alerting VIA point.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #6840
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I upgraded to 4.70 using Garmin Express and it worked just fine. The only thing I've found so far is that all the maps were enabled on the profile which was active when I upgraded, but I found nothing else to complain about in the 5 minutes I've had to check it out.