ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #20401
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post

Ditto the name of Richmond VA Chatter. Here of late, Richmond VA Dirt Riders Chatter might be more appropriate.

Just a snide remark because this has been bugging me.

Grrr. Don't nobody poke the bear. He's ornery because it is the middle of the winter and cold. But I do find it funny that he also has one of the gnarliest, oldest and highest mileage dirt bikes among us, with his KLR......

I think we're just focused on close to home riding because of the weather. Most aren't taking long street rides right now.

Guy, hope everything is okay. We missed you last night. I made a 5 rail 8-ball shot to win the last game. I was on.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #20402
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Somehow I think I missed something here. Were we commenting on the name of the thread? I've been a bit thick today and missed the context and meaning of a few things.

I ride street too. I just keep it on the DL.Actually the poor WR hasn't been out but for a single short 20 minute ride since Christmas.
You missed nothing. My (snide) remark was simply meant to say that the Richmond VA Chatter thread has turned to nothing but the dirt oriented folks here of late. My concern is that new folks looking at the Richmond area might get the idea that "we" are nothing but a bunch of dirt.off-road riders, and that may turn them away... and that has been bugging me for a bit..... hence my comment - snide or otherwise.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #20403
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
You missed nothing. My (snide) remark was simply meant to say that the Richmond VA Chatter thread has turned to nothing but the dirt oriented folks here of late. My concern is that new folks looking at the Richmond area might get the idea that "we" are nothing but a bunch of dirt.off-road riders, and that may turn them away... and that has been bugging me for a bit..... hence my comment - snide or otherwise.

I've been wondering if that was why we don't see as many posts from Mickey except to tease us with his beautiful pictures and ride reports. As the weather warms up, I think we'll be getting in a bit more long street rides. I've been getting the DL out for a few hours here and there and it has been treating me good. It's been a weird winter so far with a few really warm days interspersed with a lot of rain and a lot of cold. Even if it is a warm day, I don't trust it to stay that way long enough to stray too far.

OK, I'm done poking as Jeff called it. Everyone have a good evening. I have to get back to working even though I'd rather be sleeping
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #20404
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
[ Originally Posted by Guy Young
Originally Posted by Guy Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I've been wondering if that was why we don't see as many posts from Mickey except to tease us with his beautiful pictures and ride reports. As the weather warms up, I think we'll be getting in a bit more long street rides. I've been getting the DL out for a few hours here and there and it has been treating me good. It's been a weird winter so far with a few really warm days interspersed with a lot of rain and a lot of cold. Even if it is a warm day, I don't trust it to stay that way long enough to stray too far.

OK, I'm done poking as Jeff called it. Everyone have a good evening. I have to get back to working even though I'd rather be sleeping

I've had the same thoughts as Guy. I'm still waiting for a break in the weather out in Monterey/Eastern WV. As soon as it quits the snow showers business I'm going for an overnighter despite the temps. Local rides just aren't cutting it.
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #20405
Stumby
2 wheels needed

Oddometer: 674
If it makes you feel any better Guy I just picked up a 1994 R1100RS after being bikeless for about 3 years. My first street bike.

Moving away from the dual sport world for a bit to give street life a try.
Stumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #20406
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 917
Road Trip

Just throwing it out there ........

Would anyone be interested in an overnight ride anytime between Feb 8-12? There are some cabins in Germany Valley just north of Franklin WV (near 33 and 220) that I have heard are very nice and economical. They have open floor plans and can sleep up to 10 people.

Here is the link .... http://www.germanyvalleycabins.com/ourcabins.htm

Its a great area for "street" riding and has tons of off road riding for the dual sport guys (or gals). Since it's still cold outside it would also provide a nice warm environment to settle into as the sun goes down.

Madstrom and I are considering it. Thought I would throw it out to the inmates. Its a great chance for the street riders to get out and blow off some rust.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #20407
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Would anyone be interested in an overnight ride anytime between Feb 8-12?
Yes, me.

Dan, call me later...I am going to do some sprints, box jumps and deadlifts today if you want some! The whole workout is only 20 min...but it's an awful 20 minutes!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #20408
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Just throwing it out there ........

Would anyone be interested in an overnight ride anytime between Feb 8-12? There are some cabins in Germany Valley just north of Franklin WV (near 33 and 220) that I have heard are very nice and economical. They have open floor plans and can sleep up to 10 people.

Here is the link .... http://www.germanyvalleycabins.com/ourcabins.htm

Its a great area for "street" riding and has tons of off road riding for the dual sport guys (or gals). Since it's still cold outside it would also provide a nice warm environment to settle into as the sun goes down.

Madstrom and I are considering it. Thought I would throw it out to the inmates. Its a great chance for the street riders to get out and blow off some rust.

keep an eye on the weather. it can get nasty up there.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #20409
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 917
Road Trip

Thanks Eddy
Thats 3 so far. The smallest cabin is $160 a night. If we get 6 people, 160 divided by 6 is $27 each.

Seneca Rocks Discovery Center - 15 miles from cabin -
Spruce Knob- Highest point in WV -17 miles from cabin -
Pike Knob Preserve- 6 miles from cabin -
Laurel Forks is in the area.
Literally hundreds of miles of prime WV roads to ride so get off your lazy winter ass, pull out your cold weather riding gear and lets ride. We could even consider two nights with a different group each night if that makes it work.

Non riders (significant other) can enjoy a peaceful day at the cabin relaxing or if they enjoy cooking, preparing something for dinner. Hint Hint

Just throwing it out there.

Hey Freaking RT .... I agree, weather has to be perfect. The cabins are wide open so Im sure they would be flexible.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #20410
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 553
Quote:

I am an equal opportunity offender...

ZRX1100 and BMW R80.....(along with the XT and pair of XR's)
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #20411
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Yes, me.

Dan, call me later...I am going to do some sprints, box jumps and deadlifts today if you want some! The whole workout is only 20 min...but it's an awful 20 minutes!
out

After work thursday I started feeling achy/queasy and quickly went downhill. Came down with some kind of violent stomach thing. You know the kind where at first you're afraid you might die, then shortly later you wish you would hurry up and die.

The worst of it passed by early fri morning but I'm still weak as a kitty. Good news, I'm sure I've lost a few lbs. had a banana and piece of toast since lunch Thursday. Holding the iPad is about as much exercise as I'm doing today.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #20412
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
out

After work thursday I started feeling achy/queasy and quickly went downhill. Came down with some kind of violent stomach thing. You know the kind where at first you're afraid you might die, then shortly later you wish you would hurry up and die.

The worst of it passed by early fri morning but I'm still weak as a kitty. Good news, I'm sure I've lost a few lbs. had a banana and piece of toast since lunch Thursday. Holding the iPad is about as much exercise as I'm doing today.
You got the wicked NOROVIRUS that is going around. Said that if flu takes 1000 virus to infect you that Norovirus takes 20....and the handsanitizer doesn't touch it.

Stays virulent for a long time too. TWO WEEKS!!!!

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ds-isnt-enough

That is some nasty bug....
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #20413
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,698
Laugh I'm going with the groundhog...

On this February 2nd, 2013,
the One Hundred and Twenty Seventh Annual Trek of the
Punxsutawney Groundhog Club at Gobbler’s Knob….
Punxsutawney Phil, the King of the Groundhogs,
Seer of Seers, Prognosticator of Prognosticators,
Weather Prophet without Peer,
was awakened from his borrow at 7:28 am
with a tap of the President’s cane.
Phil and President Deeley conversed in Groundhogese
and Phil directed him to the chosen Prognostication scroll.
The President tapped the chosen scroll and
directed Phil’s Prediction be proclaimed:
My new Knob entrance is a sight to behold
Like my faithful followers, strong and bold
And so ye faithful,
there is no shadow to see
An early Spring for you and me.
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #20414
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:

Ditto the name of Richmond VA Chatter. Here of late, Richmond VA Dirt Riders Chatter might be more appropriate.

Just a snide remark because this has been bugging me.

Guy, yeah I could tell. for my part I've enjoyed the recent lean towards off road. That's probably what drew me back in to this thread. I'm really looking forward to some road trips this year too though when the weather turns.

Only 6 weeks!
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #20415
JaySee
Mofo

Oddometer: 128
I'm going to go remove my ADV stickers from my dirt bikes now.

'06 SV650
'08 KTM300xcw
'05 DRZ400s
JaySee is offline   Reply With Quote