Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #1426
flyingz06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
im amazed at how many motorcycle stores are promoting this thread considering the amount of photoshop in it
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #1427
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewaugh View Post
So I'm thinking about selling my Supersport 800 and buying a Vstrom. I really don't know how you did it AH, you don't look short. My knees and hip are sore enough that walking hurts for a minute after about 3 hours on mine. I'm 6'2", and most bikes I sit on seem like they're made for someone with much shorter legs. But alas, I can't afford a multi and my knees won't let me take the Italian out AH style.So anyway, need to do some wandering...
? I think it's one of the most comfortable positions ever. Maybe the limbic resonance triggers some sort of anti-inflammatory biological response? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
im amazed at how many motorcycle stores are promoting this thread considering the amount of photoshop in it
There's a pretty significant difference between illusion/deception (photoshopping) and enhancement/correction. ;)

AntiHero screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 11:28 AM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #1428
Casey.
Nerd on a bike

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Maybe the limbic resonance triggers some sort of anti-inflammatory biological response?
I don't feel worthy of the "Nerd on a Bike" subtitle after this and several other things throughout your RR.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #1429
02Deuce
Where next?

Oddometer: 12
Vstrom

Not to hijack the thread, but ewaugh, you should keep the 800 and buy a good used Vstrom. A tall buddy loves his. Btw, there is a really good article about "improving" the Vstrom in the February issue of Rider motorcycle motorcycle magazine. The accessories in this article are heated grips, special seat, nice exhaust, PIAA running lights, etc.
02Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #1430
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
I know Colorado is lovely and other states that are squiggly are boring, but it's just a joke guys, not a dissertation.

See 4:25.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/n0v

Surprised you take us seriously! LOL
I do have to say about the states, I think it is more of how long you have lived somewhere.
I am from PR and visit regularly, live in florida and lots of people come down here and talk about how beautiful this paradise is, then complain about all the mountain roads they have to take to get to the closest gas station......when in fact, I would consider that paradise.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #1431
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 429
I've enjoyed reading your thread. Perhaps I missed it...but I didn't see anything about you riding the Tail of the Dragon. Could this be true???
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #1432
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
I think this is even harder 2 up than alone... I've seen this pair do it (dump their jobs and live on the road for ~1350 days and 160 kkm):
That looks like an awesome ride. I've gotten as far as plotting out a ride from Edinburgh to Hong Kong via the Orient Express and the Silk Road, but I doubt I'll ever actually do it.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #1433
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
I've enjoyed reading your thread. Perhaps I missed it...but I didn't see anything about you riding the Tail of the Dragon. Could this be true???
I rode it. The day Sandy brought a freezing rain storm through NC.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...808437&page=55
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #1434
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Bad day for riding the Dragon. Under normal conditions it is nice to experience the ride from both directions.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #1435
Stixx
Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Thanks for all the encouraging comments. One of the most unexpected and rewarding parts of this trip has been all the feedback, which has motivated some very real changes in my life, too. :)

I'll be adding a few footnotes soon, but here's a condensation of all my geotagged photos. The map reminds me of a board game where sometimes I rolled 12 and covered great distances and sometimes I rolled snake eyes. (Hint: the higher the condensation of pins mark areas of the country that might be more visually interesting.)

While on the topic of interesting states--If I may quote Demetri Martin: "I learned something while on the road. State Shapes: The easier a state is to draw, the more boring it is to live in. Culture is attracted to squiggles!"

Is it just me and my left brain focus but does anyone else find it amusing that the tracks of your trip with " An Italian Supermodel" take final form in the shape of a big beautiful Italian red smiling lips...............jusayin
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #1436
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewaugh View Post
So I'm thinking about selling my Supersport 800 and buying a Vstrom. I really don't know how you did it AH, you don't look short. My knees and hip are sore enough that walking hurts for a minute after about 3 hours on mine. I'm 6'2", and most bikes I sit on seem like they're made for someone with much shorter legs. But alas, I can't afford a multi and my knees won't let me take the Italian out AH style.So anyway, need to do some wandering...
Look into the used Multistrada market. The older ones are 2-valve, air cooled simplicity. The "S" model has Ohlins suspension and great brakes. I'd suggest the Tiger 1050, too.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #1437
FJBruiser
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great thread

Just finished up your thread AH, amazing reading and I am so glad I StubledUpon it randomly. Just a thought about future trips, have you ever considered starting an account on a fundraising site? I can't speak for anyone else on here, but I know I would donate some cash to keep reading your RR's...Just a thought...Again, love your story, and I am super bummed its over.

Also was bummed you missed Zion National Park and the southern canyon land areas in Utah, thats some beautiful country.
FJBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #1438
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I got my book today!!!

The quality of the book is outstanding and the content.......Awesome, awesome, awesome!

My wife and son never read the thread but the book was on the counter for only a minute before both of them started going through it, remarking how spectacular the photos are.

Thank you again AntiHero.

p3
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #1439
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Laugh

Quote:

Hmmm....is there an outstanding warrant out for you in Florida?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #1440
kneedrag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Camera

Damn that camera of yours takes some nice crisp photos. Hard to believe it is just a pocket cam.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails- Explore, Dream, Discover"

Mark Twain
kneedrag is offline   Reply With Quote