Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #61
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
CLC, $14, it has the pouches, just covered by the flap.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #62
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I roll my tools up in an old shop rag and tie it up.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #63
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 812
Asahi Tools from Level Chrome LLC

Received the two wrenches from Level Chrome which shipped extremely fast!
The original "6 piece" set was back-ordered, so I changed my order to a stronger combination set, as opposed to all open end type.
Here is the set they are shipping on Monday, which I consider a better option for loosening rusty or stubborn bolts/nuts with the closed end;
http://www.levelchrome.com/Asahi-LCWS6-6-Piece-Lightool-Metric-Combination-Wrench-Set_p_299.html
They are not as light as the MoPro Titanium option which I also own, but they are considerably stronger being alloy steel (the Asahi). MoPro discourages routine use of their ti wrenches, and includes a torque limit sheet that does not bode well for aggressive application. Asahi is light weight AND strong... better bet for my use if I'm in a remote area, a broken wrench is worse than no wrench if I can't re-assemble the bike.
Ti wrenches for my day pack, Asahi steel light weight for remote wilderness treks.

etingelefunts screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 11:59 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #64
TRIPPEEE
ugh!

Oddometer: 30
Asahi wrench set

Just came upon this cheaper option. Thought I would throw it out there.

http://www.frankstools.com/aslsliopendw.html
TRIPPEEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #65
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
I roll my tools up in an old shop rag and tie it up.
This. I actually use a piece of chamois, fold the ends over, roll it up and 2 strong rubber bands or inner tube strips. Fits snuggly in the tool compartment of the 990.
Maoule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #66
se123
Sean

Oddometer: 9
great thread

been thinking about nice slimmed down tool bag. Dropped my dime on the Asahi set. Thanks for the info
se123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #67
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 925
I ran across these storage bags at walmart a couple years ago. Yes, I carry a lot of repair stuff...and my buddies are usually the beneficiaries.

One buddy using my JB weld, one using my tools on Black Bear Pass.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #68
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Kuny's Socket and tool roll

I've been using the Kunny's Socket holder and tool roll for the past 4 seasons and it will hold most everything you'll need.
I do a lot of month - 3 month long tours and I can fit everything in here that I need to tear the bike down, except for an air compressor.
The socket pockets with velcro overflap holds the sockets in there securely and the two webbing straps with quality buckles allow you to keep it all rolled up tightly. Very durable!

Dusty
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #69
Flipflop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Those Asahi Light tools are amazing looking...

Found... a light weight 3/8 ratchet!

http://frankstools.com/asshlira38dr1.html
Flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #70
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipflop View Post
Those Asahi Light tools are amazing looking...

Found... a light weight 3/8 ratchet!

http://frankstools.com/asshlira38dr1.html
Thanks for that link! There are some really cool [small] tools on that site, albeit expensive. I don't mind paying more for made in Japan, though.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #71
monkey wrench
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camberene View Post
I make custom leather tool rolls for my custom sets of tools. I don't try to put all of my tools in one roll. This is not exactly a minimalist way of doing things but I like to carry a wide range of tools and supplies. I don't make them to sell or anything. You can do this yourself and it is satisfying to know how.

For example this tool roll just carries a complete set of Craftsman screwdrivers. I even bought the Craftsman screwdrivers as a set in a plastic clamshell. The velcro straps are independent of the tool roll and can be bought on Ebay in sets of 10. They are 1" velcro tie-up straps, quick adjustable, range 1"-4".

The leather and leather tools are bought at Tandy Leather. The leather I used is about 1.5 mm thick. Tandy has lots and lots of bargain hides. You layout the tool roll to whatever you need. It's all custom to your needs. The tool roll requires some stitching. For that you need:

Poly Mallet, Large, Tandy 3301-04

Small Poly Punching, Cutting & Tooling Board (6 in. x 6 in. x 1/2")
Thonging Chisel Set, Tandy 3008-00 (You will use the 1/16" 3 Prong tool in this set)

Waxed thread, Brown 25 yards, Tandy 11207-03

Stitching Needles set of 10, Tandy 1195-00

To punch the holes in the leather, you use the three pronged 1/16" punch and walk the tool down the length of the run using the mallet and punch on dry leather backed up on the poly board (punch it, wiggle the punch free of the penetration and twirl it around, repeat, until you get to the end of the run).

You need the knowledge to thread the needle, make a saddle stitch and close out a saddle stitch. You will be using 2 needles. The method of doing all three tasks is shown about halfway down this page.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...t-ABC-pg4.aspx

After you thread one needle, measure 5 times the length of the stitch run and thread the second needle. As said earlier, you design it to meet your needs. When you're done, put your tools in, roll it up and velcro it closed. Have fun on your journey with exactly the tools and supplies that you like to have. Once armed with the basic knowledge of working with this thickness of leather and saddle stitching, there are limitless other things you can make. You can add a slot for a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 or your favorite pocket pistol, compasses, air gauges, you name it, you can make a pocket for it.

Optional for fun: 3D Stamping handle & removable stamping tool of all kinds of designs: snakes, skulls, arrowheads, buffaloes, ect. for a logo/personalization effect. Moisten the leather then let it dry but still cool to the touch and stamp it on a piece of marble or a steel vise/anvil, using the poly mallet. Don't use the poly cutting board to back up the stamp.

way cool.
monkey wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #72
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
+1

The tool roll itself makes the tools twice as bulky. It adds space between everything. Yes they are very nice to work out of, but I don't believe the space compromise is worth it.

My tools are in a canvas bag sold as a "screwdriver bag" at Walmart.
I have noticed this with the tool roll I purchased from vendors..nice piece of kit but definitely takes up more room. Back to a tool pouch for me. I like the above mentioned inner tube idea
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #73
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I posted this earlier, but here are some pictures of my tool roll which is a piece of leather chamois and 2 rubber straps. Probably the nicest thing is that once opened, all the tools are visible and they're on a 'cloth' away from the muck and no digging for the next tool.

And this is rolled up to fit in the underseat storage of my 990 adv:
Maoule is online now   Reply With Quote