Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #166
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 385
I sat on the CB500x at the bike show yesterday. It seems far less top-heavy than any of the other bikes I sat on: BMW G650GS, F650GS, Versys, and Wee Strom. (I realize they have larger engines, but I feel more agile on a lighter bike.) So that was a plus in my book.
The matte black, or "primer finish" as my mom calls it, tends to make it look a bit cheap, but overall it looked well sorted.
We asked the kid working the Honda booth about the valve train. He said it was shim and bucket. I was a bit surprised at that.
For $6k the prices is right. I paid nearly that for a 600cc cruiser 17 years ago and it was uncomfortable on long hauls and especially uncomfortable on the gravel roads out to our farm.
There was far more interest in the CB500x and the NC700x than any bike at the show (not including the Spyders) as far as I could tell.
Now let's see if Honda can get the bike in the dealership before August. If not, I think I might just go ahead and get the Bonnie I've had my eye on.

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #167
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
The thing that would make this bike perfect is a lowering link to drop it two inches.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #168
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post
The thing that would make this bike perfect is a lowering link to drop it two inches.
It's funny, because I was thinking the opposite, I'd like to see it a couple of inches taller.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #169
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
uhm... missing the point? that's what the 500F and 500R is about...
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #170
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
It's still a friendly 810mm seat height, with a narrow tank. I'd be surprised if it doesn't fit shorter-legged riders.

I have a 29" inseam, and have handled saddles at 840mm+.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #171
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
The problem is the person that is interested in this bike is 5' 0" with a 27.5" inseam...this person had a 2011 Ninja 250 that also had to have the bike lowered 2" as well as having the seat cut down simply to get the balls of her feet on the ground.... She also really likes the adventure bike styling, windscreen, upright riding position, and availability of hard bags. She has seen, and does not care much for the styling of other two CBR's despite their slightly lower seats.

If no one comes out soon with a suitable solution for lowering the X, she will be stuck with a G650GS L.S., a Kouba Link, and a reworked seat.

Not necessarily a bad place to be stuck IMHO...but options are a good thing.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #172
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The problem is the person that is interested in this bike is 5' 0" with a 27.5" inseam...this person had a 2011 Ninja 250 that also had to have the bike lowered 2" as well as having the seat cut down simply to get the balls of her feet on the ground....
probably should have specified that... it's a little different in that situation.. i'd be too worried about ruining the ride/geometry at that point.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #173
Justarida
Genius At Large

Oddometer: 40
Comparing numbers

I understand specs alone cant tell you everything you need to know about a bike. But when your dealing with a bike you cannot ride yet you have to start somewhere. So when I compare the 500X to what is IMO the standard of low cost, Adventure style 75/25 Road/Light Off Road bike the Wee Strom 650 I come up with two bikes that are very similar. The biggest differences being cost and proven track record. I will be purchasing a mid weight ADV style bike this spring. I would love to buy the Tiger 800 Road version but thats not in the budget so I am considering both the Wee and the 500X (dont think I would be happy w/ the power band / rev limit of the 700) In researching these two contenders I have some of the important specs so I thought I would share all in one place for others who may be curious.

Wee Strom 650 500X
Price $8,300 TBA approx. $6,000
Weight 472# 430#
Tire Size 19 / 17 17 / 17
Fuel Cap. 5.3 US Gal 4.5 US Gal
Approx. HWY MPG 48 54
Trans. 6 SPEED 6 SPEED
Front Shocks 43mm 5.9" travel 41mm 5.5" travel
Rear Shock 6.3" travel 4.7" travel
ABS available available
Ground Clearance 6.9" 6.5"
Seat Height 32.9" 31.9
Rear Wheel HP 65 54 US Version
Power to weight ratio 7.26#/1hp 7.96#/1hp
w/ 180# Rider 10#/1hp 11.2#/1hp

Could not find a Torque Curve for the 500X so did not compare.

I think both bikes will serve thier intended purpose well. The Wee has an outstanding track record. The Honda will save me some $$$ and historically has a pretty good record as well. Obviously I will ride both bikes and let that be the determining factor for purchase. I just wanted to attempt to add some usefull info to the thread and perhaps get some additional opinion on the similarities of these two machines.
Justarida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #174
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justarida View Post
I think both bikes will serve thier intended purpose well. The Wee has an outstanding track record. The Honda will save me some $$$ and historically has a pretty good record as well. Obviously I will ride both bikes and let that be the determining factor for purchase. I just wanted to attempt to add some usefull info to the thread and perhaps get some additional opinion on the similarities of these two machines.
You did a good job with these specs. Do keep in mind that the $8300 Wee price includes ABS, and I doubt the 500x will ship for $6K with ABS. US pricing hasn't been decided upon, but based on trends in the Canadian pricing and some favorable reaction to the bike, I'm betting Honda will hike the non-ABS to $6300-$6500 and the ABS will be another another $500 over this. So I'd expect the actual list price difference to be around $1500 for equivalent ABS models and the Wee will probably be available with a little more aggressive discounts that will reduce this to near $1K, at least for the first year. Not chump change, but not a deal-breaker either. If you don't want the ABS, the Honda is clearly the bike to get.

The big differences I see are price, power, weight, and the 19" front end on the Wee that will take the standard big-adventure bike touring rubber that has been shipping for a decade. I think the Wee will be the faster and more versatile bike, especially if you go off-road, but the significantly lower price and lighter weight of the Honda are big attractions for me. We'll see.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #175
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
You did a good job with these specs. Do keep in mind that the $8300 Wee price includes ABS, and I doubt the 500x will ship for $6K with ABS. US pricing hasn't been decided upon, but based on trends in the Canadian pricing and some favorable reaction to the bike, I'm betting Honda will hike the non-ABS to $6300-$6500 and the ABS will be another another $500 over this. So I'd expect the actual list price difference to be around $1500 for equivalent ABS models and the Wee will probably be available with a little more aggressive discounts that will reduce this to near $1K, at least for the first year. Not chump change, but not a deal-breaker either. If you don't want the ABS, the Honda is clearly the bike to get.

The big differences I see are price, power, weight, and the 19" front end on the Wee that will take the standard big-adventure bike touring rubber that has been shipping for a decade. I think the Wee will be the faster and more versatile bike, especially if you go off-road, but the significantly lower price and lighter weight of the Honda are big attractions for me. We'll see.

- Mark
With the Honda NC700 at $6999, do you think Honda will try to sell the cb500x for the same price. I am interested in the cb500x but not at the NC700 price. If both have the same price, I will take the NC700 anytime.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #176
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
With the Honda NC700 at $6999, do you think Honda will try to sell the cb500x for the same price.
They're not the same price because to get ABS on the NC, you have to spend $9K, not $7K.

- Mark
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #177
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

I would still think that Honda would separate the bikes by more than 500.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #178
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Toad at show

Saw this bike today at IMS in Novi. Lots of interest from crowd. Sells for 5999 non abs. The other two bikes in Honda display with most attention were new Gold Wing and nc700 everyone looking at storage in tank area. I likes looks of 500x
Unsure if I will buy. But a good buy for this bike I believe.
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #179
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
The problem is the person that is interested in this bike is 5' 0" with a 27.5" inseam...this person had a 2011 Ninja 250 that also had to have the bike lowered 2" as well as having the seat cut down simply to get the balls of her feet on the ground.... She also really likes the adventure bike styling, windscreen, upright riding position, and availability of hard bags. She has seen, and does not care much for the styling of other two CBR's despite their slightly lower seats.

If no one comes out soon with a suitable solution for lowering the X, she will be stuck with a G650GS L.S., a Kouba Link, and a reworked seat.

Not necessarily a bad place to be stuck IMHO...but options are a good thing.
I'm really sorry that there are no truely well designed factory options for shorter men and women. This discussion has been held many times, some of foreign websites where men in SE Asia express similar concerns.

Unfortunately, lowering too much ruins both ground clearance and suspension travel. Dedicated shorter riders learn to ride only putting one foot down at a time, sliding to the side of cheek or thigh. I know - no one believes that this is ideal. Most are wrong, unless the riders are old and stiff, or young and weak, or just don't have the balance required. Even men who are 5'10" tall with 31 inch inseams do this to ride enduro racers that have 38" seat heights. Work on your riding skills; don't ruin the bike.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #180
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
I would still think that Honda would separate the bikes by more than 500.
I agree, I think the non-ABS 500x will be $6300 to $6500, so this is $500-$700 less than the non-ABS NC. Also keep in mind that the NC has been at $7K for a year now, and by the time the 500x ships, it will probably get a price hike.

- Mark