User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,256
Need some help-advice on how to give quadropegic man a ride in a sidecar.

Howdy All,

Many years ago, in 1998 I met a man on the Internet on the "EXUP" list, his name is Rick Frame. Rick was the very first person I responded to on an Internet forum, he was the very first person I ever sent an email to, we soon became cyber friends. Rick still lives in Arlington Texas just outside of Dallas-Fort Worth, Rick and I had made plans to meet and ride together as I was planing one of my long rides the following summer of 1999.

Then fate intervened, Rick was stuck by a car from behind while riding and was knocked over a freeway over pass falling forty feet to the concrete road surface below. That Rick is still alive is a miracle if ever there was one, but the wreck has him left a quadriplegic ever since. It has been a dream of Rick and myself to someday take that ride we planed so long ago, NOW I think I have the machine to make this dream come true.

I have a sidecar on my BMW R1150GS, but I need to make some kind of body support that will fit into the sidecar that Rick can be placed into and using belts or some sort of straps secured to that frame. MY idea is to use light tubing such as electrical conduit to bend up a simple frame that can be inserted into the sidecar, nothing fancy, this will a one time use item, SIMPLE and CHEAP are the operative terms.

I have stopped in to visit with Rick whenever I have been in the area, the last time we saw each other was in July of 2008 when I rode the Ural all around the USA. Heres some photos of that visit.

Does someone in the Everett, Arlington, Snohomish area have access to electrical conduit and the tools needed to work with it to help fabricate such a frame, old used conduit would be perfect. I need to have this built by the middle of March at the latest as I'll be leaving for Texas the last week in March. If someone can lend a hand please contact me, THANKS.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote