ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #316
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
On the 62/78's, you can use the SD card to store your maps, trip photos, bike maintenance manuals and more. You can also install Basecamp and run it from there. I abuse my 62s as a USB drive.

daryl
I do that with my 60 as well. Still need a computer to read PDFs though.

It's less of an issue now that I have a phone that can view PDFs ... with internet connectivity on it, I can even order parts through it.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #317
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,965
For a topic called 'The Official Garmin 62 and 78 Thread", we're pretty far from that...

I'm all for helping people get the best out of their 62/78, but whining about the 'good old days' of gps technology gets tiring.

If your 60/76 is all you need/want, fine, but a lot has happened since 2004 when the 60c was introduced.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 07:53 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #318
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Not an answer to your question just a bitch.

This is my main complaint with Garmin, when they come out with a replacement unit 60/76 to 62/78 they don't just make it bigger & better with more features and capability (like 20 - 500 point tracks to 200 - 2,000 point tracks) they change or delete things that current users like and have no complaint with (like comment above).
So I take that to mean the 62 is not able to do that?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #319
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
Costco has 62s on sale right now through 11/25 for $250 shipped.
http://www.costco.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-...100007003.html

Online using google shop you can get a 78 for $230 or so it seems. I'm going to upgrade my etrex to the 78 pretty shortly...
GPS store: http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GP...FcN_Qgoda2QAKQ
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #320
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

The 78 is on special for $200 at West Marine according to this thread.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #321
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
See if this works for the Garmin Map 78 $199 West Marine deal:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs..._-1?icid=HF1_2

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #322
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I have a 62s unit mounted on a ram mount with the Garmin automotive power supply cable. Problem I have is that the mini usb plug on the end of the cable has a right angle which is 90 degrees out ie the cable comes out of the unit and has to loop upwards before going down behind the headlight. This loop gets buffeted by the wind and wobbles with the movement of the bike which by all accounts will stuff the connection over time. Is there an adaptor or a cable with a right angle thats opposite to the oem cable. With the cable routed directly down to the bike I could secure it to the ram mount and the whole cable/unit could move together causing less stress and damage. I could also put a plastic bag over in the rain which is impossible now with the big loop. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #323
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutsthematter View Post
I have a 62s unit mounted on a ram mount with the Garmin automotive power supply cable. Problem I have is that the mini usb plug on the end of the cable has a right angle which is 90 degrees out ie the cable comes out of the unit and has to loop upwards before going down behind the headlight. This loop gets buffeted by the wind and wobbles with the movement of the bike which by all accounts will stuff the connection over time. Is there an adaptor or a cable with a right angle thats opposite to the oem cable. With the cable routed directly down to the bike I could secure it to the ram mount and the whole cable/unit could move together causing less stress and damage. I could also put a plastic bag over in the rain which is impossible now with the big loop. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
It would be a lot easier for you to find a mini usb connector which is not at right angle, ie straight out, than to find another which is in the direction you're looking for.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #324
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

I found this one allthough the right angle is wrong as well, they say thay can make to order so maybe they can reverse it.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/mini...garmin-gps/357
Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #325
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Downloading Tracks

In the early days these units would change the color of tracks that were downloaded to them.

I had at least one of each on my last ride and they now seem to NOT change the color of tracks when I downloaded tracks to customers.

Does any one know for sure if this was Firmware change and what versions is good?

They still all download "Off" any on track manager still only order by proximity with no choice for alfa-#.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #326
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutsthematter View Post
Problem I have is that the mini usb plug on the end of the cable has a right angle which is 90 degrees out ie the cable comes out of the unit and has to loop upwards before going down behind the headlight. This loop gets buffeted by the wind and wobbles with the movement of the bike which by all accounts will stuff the connection over time.

Is there an adaptor or a cable with a right angle thats opposite to the oem cable?
There's a thread on 62s power options.

Touratech uses a o-ring at the usb connection to the unit. But I'm not sure the concept will work with a stock RAM mount.

daryl

dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #327
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Touratech uses a o-ring at the usb connection to the unit.
Thanks for that info I'll try the o ring idea. Hopefully it will work with a right angled plug.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #328
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
I picked a garmin 78 up, and now I'm trying to decide on how to mount it. Does anyone have opinions on using the ram mount offroad with the 78? I like the price, but it looks a little flimsy for rough offroad.

The touratech locking mount would be nice, especially if it dampens vibrations much. I'm not sure I can get over paying that much to mount a $200 gps though.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #329
mattmus4357
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
I picked a garmin 78 up, and now I'm trying to decide on how to mount it. Does anyone have opinions on using the ram mount offroad with the 78? I like the price, but it looks a little flimsy for rough offroad.

The touratech locking mount would be nice, especially if it dampens vibrations much. I'm not sure I can get over paying that much to mount a $200 gps though.
I just ordered the Ram mount for my 78. I haven't received it yet, but based on all my other Ram mounts (iPad yoke mount, GoPro mount, a few random others) I wouldn't hesitate to use these offroad. They've all been solid for anything I've put them through. Can't be the $35 price either.
mattmus4357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #330
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Thumb

I haven't tried it off-road yet (still snowed in) but I think the RAM cradle for the 78 will be just fine. GPS is held very firmly. I will, of course, have the lanyard tethered to the bar.
Very good access to the USB and power ports when it's in the cradle.