ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 174 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #331
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 639
BaseCamp or MapSource will work fine. I'd recommend breaking the trip up into a route or track for each day rather than one long one. Much more manageable. You can easily plan for options and just name the route accordingly. You run the risk of having too many shaping or via points and getting a truncated route with a long route.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #332
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
BaseCamp or MapSource will work fine. I'd recommend breaking the trip up into a route or track for each day rather than one long one. Much more manageable. You can easily plan for options and just name the route accordingly. You run the risk of having too many shaping or via points and getting a truncated route with a long route.
That's how I do it.

In Basecamp, sometimes I put in a proximity value for my starting waypoint, something like 250 miles. In BC, a red circle with a radius of 250 miles will appear around the waypoint. The 250 miles might be my ride limit for the day. I then search for some type of lodging just inside or outside the radius along the route or track I'm following.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #333
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post

In Basecamp, sometimes I put in a proximity value for my starting waypoint, something like 250 miles. In BC, a red circle with a radius of 250 miles will appear around the waypoint. The 250 miles might be my ride limit for the day. I then search for some type of lodging just inside or outside the radius along the route or track I'm following.

daryl

What a good idea! Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #334
Steve W
Old Grouch

Quote:
That's how I do it.

daryl
Brilliant!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #335
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
That's how I do it.

daryl
When you put in very large Proximity Alarms, just remember to remove them before you transfer the Waypoint to your GPS. Otherwise you will get a nearing/approaching anytime you turn on the GPS while you are within the Proximity radius and a leaving alarm as you pass thru the radius - which may not have any on-screen [map] meaning since you won't be seeing the waypoint most likely.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #336
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
When you put in very large Proximity Alarms, just remember to remove them before you transfer the Waypoint to your GPS. Otherwise you will get a nearing/approaching anytime you turn on the GPS while you are within the Proximity radius and a leaving alarm as you pass thru the radius - which may not have any on-screen [map] meaning since you won't be seeing the waypoint most likely.

Cheers,
I'm well aware of that.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #337
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 533
Which XM antenna?

Recently purchased a 478, upgraded the firmware to 4.40 which says it supports the GXM-40 antenna, but I've read in certain forums that it also removed support for the GXM-30. Anybody successfully running 4.40 with a GXM-30? I need to know which antenna I should be looking for in order to enable weather. Thanks!
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #338
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Recently purchased a 478, upgraded the firmware to 4.40 which says it supports the GXM-40 antenna, but I've read in certain forums that it also removed support for the GXM-30. Anybody successfully running 4.40 with a GXM-30? I need to know which antenna I should be looking for in order to enable weather. Thanks!
Good Question! keep us updated ...... I'm still using a 30 but hadn't upgraded since I got the 478.
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #339
Dagwood08
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I too recently purchased a 478 and upgraded the firmware to 4.40. I have a GXM-30 and can receive the preview channel but have not yet subscribed to anything. Not sure if this helps much with the recent question.
Dagwood08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #340
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 533
It does help, yes. But I went ahead and got the GXM-40 anyway, since it was pretty much the same price. Good to know that I have options, though!
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #341
Lurch II
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
Good Question! keep us updated ...... I'm still using a 30 but hadn't upgraded since I got the 478.
I have a 478 that I upgraded to 4.40 and am using the 30 with no issues.

Shawn
2007 R1200GSA - Lurch II (his)
2007 R1200GS - Wickd (hers)
"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it." - W. Somerset Maugham
Lurch II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #342
Dagwood08
n00b

How do you prevent the active track log from displaying during navigation on the map page on the 478? I have the color set to transparent on the track setup menu tab but the track still appears in white. If I select any of the colors they all seem to work properly, but the transparent choice still draws the track.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #343
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood08 View Post
How do you prevent the active track log from displaying during navigation on the map page on the 478? I have the color set to transparent on the track setup menu tab but the track still appears in white. If I select any of the colors they all seem to work properly, but the transparent choice still draws the track.
Just looked and not sure you can on the Active Log? I know on any saved tracks, you can un-select the box to show on map, but you don't have that option on the active log, only color. So even transparent, you can see pretty good? Are any of the other colors even less visible? I usually keep mine in Cyan as I like to really see it.

Just curious, but what is it about the active log being visible that bugs you? Unless you are in the same area going round and round, its usually just behind you on where you've been.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #344
Dagwood08
n00b

The active track log appears as a breadcrumb trail in white. The color you choose actually is a highlight over the white breadcrumbs so no matter what color you choose the white breadcrumbs are always there, no way to not show them (that I can figure out).

I've only had my unit a short period of time and have been using it on short local trips. That's probably why the appearance of the log stands out as I've been back and forth on the same roads. As you alluded to, on longer distances it likely won't be an issue. Also, none of my other GPS's have this feature so it's a matter of getting used to it.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #345
Steve W
Old Grouch

You could just turn track recording function to "off" for everyday riding. This will stop the breadcrumb trail from being displayed. Just remember to turn it back on for trips you want to save the track.