Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
It will rain and a dry seat is nice. I use a half cover and it works well.

I don't know where you guys live that you are more worried about a cover to keep people from stealing things rather than keep you ass dry.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
It will rain and a dry seat is nice. I use a half cover and it works well.

I don't know where you guys live that you are more worried about a cover to keep people from stealing things rather than keep you ass dry.
I'm not so much worried about someone stealing my bike (I have insurance for that), as I am worried someone is going to sit on the bike and maybe tip it over. Then I'm looking at cosmetic damage, and I'm out my deductible for the repairs. Or someone will plop their kid on the seat and he/she/it decides to snap off my mirror because, hey, shiny! Minor annoyances, really, but I'll avoid them if I can.

But you're 100% correct... a dry seat in the morning is nice. That's probably half the reason I use a cover.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
[QUOTE=Mr_Gone;20556400]I'm not so much worried about someone stealing my bike (I have insurance for that), as I am worried someone is going to sit on the bike and maybe tip it over. Then I'm looking at cosmetic damage, and I'm out my deductible for the repairs. Or someone will plop their kid on the seat and he/she/it decides to snap off my mirror because, hey, shiny! Minor annoyances, really, but I'll avoid them if I can.

I've never heard of such a thing happening. Is that really a problem where you live? I know it isn't anywhere I've been.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

[QUOTE=sorebutt;20556473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I'm not so much worried about someone stealing my bike (I have insurance for that), as I am worried someone is going to sit on the bike and maybe tip it over. Then I'm looking at cosmetic damage, and I'm out my deductible for the repairs. Or someone will plop their kid on the seat and he/she/it decides to snap off my mirror because, hey, shiny! Minor annoyances, really, but I'll avoid them if I can.

I've never heard of such a thing happening. Is that really a problem where you live? I know it isn't anywhere I've been.
Not so much where I live now, but I lived in Memphis a lot of years. Holy smokes, Batman! The things people would do to your bike were astonishing. I came out of the Wolfchase Mall one time and some fat chick had her two kids sitting on my bike! She was holding the bike upright and letting the kids make vroom-vroom sounds while she tipped the bike back and forth to simulate turning. I had three simultaneous aneurysms!!!

Truthfully, I don't have many problems with people messing with my bike. Now I live in a small town, and everyone is pretty respectful. However, I would just rather take a couple simple precautions when I park my bike for the night (especially out of town), rather than have to come up with my insurance deductible if someone damages my bike. It takes 30 seconds to throw my bike cover on. I don't mind.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I'm not so much worried about someone stealing my bike (I have insurance for that), as I am worried someone is going to sit on the bike and maybe tip it over
Maybe you need to re-think that order, at least when you travel. Your trip will be pretty much ruined, if your bike gets stolen. Insurance or not. Besides, not everyone´s always been happy with what the insurance company has decided to pay them for their stolen bikes, so it can be a headache, even when you have that insurance. Might take some time to get that money, too.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Maybe you need to re-think that order, at least when you travel. Your trip will be pretty much ruined, if your bike gets stolen. Insurance or not. Besides, not everyone´s always been happy with what the insurance company has decided to pay them for their stolen bikes, so it can be a headache, even when you have that insurance. Might take some time to get that money, too.
Yeah, my trip would get ruined, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Rent a car, either finish the vacation or drive home.

I've had two cars stolen when I lived in Memphis. Both times it was a hassle, but all in all everything worked out okay.

I keep considering some sort of additional anti-theft security for the bike, I just haven't pulled the trigger, yet. Right now, I'm living in a small town where people really do leave their front doors unlocked and their keys in the ignition of their vehicles. I also have very good insurance.

When I travel, my anti-theft precautions are: parking in front of the hotel, and covering the bike.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #22
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I don't have a good picture available but this is a golite poncho on a KLR. I always carry a poncho anyway and with a couple of pieces of bungee cord it makes a pretty decent bike cover that weighs 10 ounces and being made of silnylon it's waterproof and takes very little room in a pannier or pocket.

If weight and bulk aren't critical you can get a coated nylon version from campmor or similar that is about 1/3rd the cost and just as functional, there are also excellent mil surplus versions in camo if you can find them.

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 952
did a trip recently and used a $2 plastic painters drop sheet attatched to the bike with small bull dog clips. It worked a treat and was light wieght,compact and durible. I believe in the out of sight out of mind as a first line of security.
I will up grade my plastic drop sheet to a sil nylon tarp which can double as a shelter.
happy travels
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #24
bigphish
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 387
I will carry a 9'x9' Kelty tarp pm my 6 week trip this year. Triples as a front porch for tent, cover for tent in lieu of rain fly if I prefer, and bike cover if I deem it prudent. Packs to almost nothing

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,822
a 9x9 tarps packs to nearly nothing?

mine packs to about grapefruit size.

But I do carry it, for the reasons you listed, its a multi purpose tool.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #26
pkbinder
Helga The Red

Oddometer: 259
Here is my .02 worth:
The cover that came with my bike weighs almost nothing and packs really small. When I am camping I can put a lot of my gear on the seat and cover the bike. Besides protecting it from prying, curious eyes, it also keeps the dew and rain off my bike.

However, once I saw a big storm coming and covered the bike. That was a mistake as the cover acted as a sail and my fell over. Paul
Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #27
Retics
n00b

Oddometer: 74
The last time I went camping out with My sports bike I woke up to kids playing out around the tent, I went out to investigate and one of the kids was doing pull ups off the left side of the handlebars as it teetered back and forth, I yelled at the parents to get their F@#$%&G kid off my bike. I wanted to knock the kids dad in the teeth.

Get a cover , save yourself some hassle .
Old 04-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #28
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,014
If you a just trying to keep water off. I've used clear plastic drop clothes. Secure the ends, front and rear, by tying the two ends together in a square knot. Front at the headlight and rear fender, or whatever works on your bike.