Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Designer Jake OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Motorcycle Noob Researching Dual Sport/Adventure Bikes...

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jake. To be honest, I am a college student studying Product Design and a complete beginner to Motorcycles (only rode once on my Uncles KTM 450 MX, but I do ride quads). I am currently designing a mid to heavy weight Dual Sport/Adventure motorcycle (not a mx conversion dual sport, but more like a KTM 690 or BMW G 650GS) for a Project and I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to help me out with a few questions I have!

Please start off by introducing yourself and the bike you ride, skill level or rider experience, how often you ride, what type of riding you do, and hobbies... etc.

Questions:

Do you ride your Dual Sport/Adventure motorcycle more On or Off the road?

What features about the bike do you most admire or lead you to purchasing the motorcycle?

What do you generally look for in a motorcycle when it comes time to purchasing one?

What type of emotions or experiences are evoked when riding your Dual Sport/Adventure motorcycle?

Again, I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you!
Designer Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Jake View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jake. To be honest, I am a college student studying Product Design and a complete beginner to Motorcycles (only rode once on my Uncles KTM 450 MX, but I do ride quads). I am currently designing a mid to heavy weight Dual Sport/Adventure motorcycle (not a mx conversion dual sport, but more like a KTM 690 or BMW G 650GS) for a Project and I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to help me out with a few questions I have!

In other words, you want us to do your homework for you, for free, so you
don't have to do the work of researching the subject yourself.

And THEN you are going to claim to have designed a motorcycle.

Just go to the Rally Raid website and spend a few hours reading up on the
gear they sell for the KTM 690. That will give you a very good idea of
what is involved in a light weight adventure motorcycle.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...0-Enduro-R-SMC

And by the way, the BMW 650 is a joke. It has poor quality suspension
which has been known to fail while under way, and it is underpowered and heavy.
I don't know a single expert rider who takes the BMW seriously. The BMW is
a street bike for people who want to pretend they are adventure riders. Stick with
KTM and at least anyone in your class who actually knows bikes won't detect that you are
clueless when or if you present your "design" in front of the class.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 07:40 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Designer Jake OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
In other words, you want us to do your homework for you, for free, so you
don't have to do the work of researching the subject yourself.

And THEN you are going to claim to have designed a motorcycle.

With all do respect, I do not have access to interview dual sport riders locally. The team I am working with suggested that I use forums to get rider feedback. The questions I am asking are to assist me in developing a clearer sense of what is needed by the consumer. Part of the Product Design process is to create a platform to design from by using research from a target market and other viable sources. This is only a small fraction of the work need to design a product.

I apologize if there was any misunderstanding for my motives for this research. I'm just trying to design the best motorcycle for you, the consumer.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454

Off

What features about the bike do you most admire or lead you to purchasing the motorcycle?

Lower weight, good suspension travel and ground clearance

What do you generally look for in a motorcycle when it comes time to purchasing one?

Not weight.
"Is this thing tall enough that lesser riders are scared of it and I can get a better deal?"

What type of emotions or experiences are evoked when riding your Dual Sport/Adventure motorcycle?

OH MY GOD I AM GLAD THIS IS NOT A HEAVY-ASS "Mid to heavy weight" DUAL SPORT!!!

OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,731
Fill out your profile.
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Jake View Post
Hello Everyone,

Please start off by introducing yourself and the bike you ride, skill level or rider experience, how often you ride, what type of riding you do, and hobbies... etc.

Questions:

Again, I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you!
Allen Goodwin
48 years old, riding since 9
.Roadraced 11 years with WERA, 4 Championships, 25+ race wins.
Hare-scrambles and seceral times in the Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge,,,3rd. place in that event last year in the 40+ Ironman class.
I've owned several bikes...Yamaha FJ1200, FZR1000, GTS1000...Kawasaki LTD1000, KLX650, KX500, ZX-6R...Honda XR400....Suzuki SV650...Laverda Ghost Strike...
I presently ride an '06 Kawasaki KLR650. Bought it new in mid-summer '06, 61,000 miles now.

Now...for your questions concerning what I like in a bike now.

What I like now, and what I've looked for in the past have changed over the years. It was once that I wanted the latest/greatest out there, but it's so much more now about THE RIDE, NOT the bike.
.I want something I can take anywhere, I take the bike, not the other way around.
I do ride more on-road, commuting, and trips, but I have ridden my KLR to the 24 HOUR race, raced the race..then rode it home the next day...a good story, but really, not very smart.
My number one want is versitility, it's difficult for one bike to do it all....my KLR needed a few mods to make it what I wanted, but now, after 6 years, it's almost perfect.
I've been looking for a Big Adventure style bike, something the wife and I can be just a bit more comfortable on. We now ride the KLR on 350+ mile days, but it'd be nice to be a bit more comfortable.
Anyway...The Yamaha Super Tenere BMW R1200GS, and Moto Guzzi Stelvio NXT are all good bike, along with the KTM Adventure, Triumphs bike bike also,,,,but in comparing them to my trusty KLR, I can buy 4 KLRs for the price of one BMW. I want DURABILITY,and VALUE,

DURABILITY and VALUE......JOY of the ride, without worry of $$$$$.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

EASE of maitenance.....I can change the oil on my bike in about 5-6 minutes...HELL, I do it before I even take my helmet off.

How about you KTM Adventure riders????
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Just take a Kawasaki KLR650, a pre '08 model...give it 30% more power, better suspension, and shave off 70lbs.....there's your perfect dual-sport bike.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 114
This is a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Goodwin View Post
Just take a Kawasaki KLR650, a pre '08 model...give it 30% more power, better suspension, and shave off 70lbs.....there's your perfect dual-sport bike.
but maybe 50% more power, six speed transmission, and fuel injection. Keep the large fuel tank.
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Designer Jake OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Goodwin View Post
Allen Goodwin
48 years old, riding since 9
.Roadraced 11 years with WERA, 4 Championships, 25+ race wins.
Hare-scrambles and seceral times in the Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge,,,3rd. place in that event last year in the 40+ Ironman class.
I've owned several bikes...Yamaha FJ1200, FZR1000, GTS1000...Kawasaki LTD1000, KLX650, KX500, ZX-6R...Honda XR400....Suzuki SV650...Laverda Ghost Strike...
I presently ride an '06 Kawasaki KLR650. Bought it new in mid-summer '06, 61,000 miles now.

Now...for your questions concerning what I like in a bike now.

What I like now, and what I've looked for in the past have changed over the years. It was once that I wanted the latest/greatest out there, but it's so much more now about THE RIDE, NOT the bike.
.I want something I can take anywhere, I take the bike, not the other way around.
I do ride more on-road, commuting, and trips, but I have ridden my KLR to the 24 HOUR race, raced the race..then rode it home the next day...a good story, but really, not very smart.
My number one want is versitility, it's difficult for one bike to do it all....my KLR needed a few mods to make it what I wanted, but now, after 6 years, it's almost perfect.
I've been looking for a Big Adventure style bike, something the wife and I can be just a bit more comfortable on. We now ride the KLR on 350+ mile days, but it'd be nice to be a bit more comfortable.
Anyway...The Yamaha Super Tenere BMW R1200GS, and Moto Guzzi Stelvio NXT are all good bike, along with the KTM Adventure, Triumphs bike bike also,,,,but in comparing them to my trusty KLR, I can buy 4 KLRs for the price of one BMW. I want DURABILITY,and VALUE,

DURABILITY and VALUE......JOY of the ride, without worry of $$$$$.

Awesome!!! -- Thank you so much for the great response! Very much appreciated!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Designer Jake OP
n00b

Great Input Everyone! Thanks!

I never even considered the Kawasaki KLR 650 before... I'll definitely look into it!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
I recommend that you find motorcycles that currently exist that meet your design specifications, and interview the owners of those motorcycles to identify the needs that they meet, and the specifications that better fulfill them. E.g., if you feel you want to build a better KLR, ask KLR owners. If you want to build a better BMW R1200GS, ask GS owners. They are extremely different motorcycles despite being both "dual sports."

Your current approach is as general as asking people who wear pants whether they use them more standing up or sitting down.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Justin
31, been riding all of my life, on the street about 7 years or so.
Currently ride an F650GS Dakar (single)
Use my bike for mainly exploring. Dont do much in the hardcore terrain, dont have much interest in getting a dirt bike. For me the Dakar has plenty of power for my puposes, is comfortable enough for me to commute 180 miles daily, will carry plenty for me to load it up and go on a trip. Yes, the suspension could use some improvement but in general its been good for me.

Main things I look for in a bike are:
Comfort/Ergonomics
Power
Durability/Reliability
Offroad ability
Ease of maintenance
Parts availability
Load capacity

Im sure I left something out but thats a fair summation of what I want in a bike. As with Al, its about the ride for me. About the places it takes me and the things I get to see. Not about how fast I can go or how rough the terrain I can ride over.

Another site you may wish to check out is HorizonsUnlimited.com. Youll find riders of just about every bike under the sun on that site, and many more long distance travellers than here.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,430
face it

you are following a path with an undesirable end; failure
no motorcycle designed by a non-enthusiast has ever succeeded in the marketplace
get a klr, xr, dr and ride it all day every day
check back next month
adios
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
you are following a path with an undesirable end; failure
no motorcycle designed by a non-enthusiast has ever succeeded in the marketplace
get a klr, xr, dr and ride it all day every day
check back next month
adios
Or better yet we can help him out with his research. Hes in a friggin class project, not working for a manufacturer. I had to do a similar project once in a construction management class. Was I supposed to put my assignment on hold, just tell my professor that itd have to wait, while I went and got a job in a building so that I could actually learn what it takes to build one?? Yeah right.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote